Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, yesterday I installed an integrated brake lamp and removed the pillion latch for access to remove tail side panel. Everything is back together, and there seems to be no adjustment in the latch at all, but the seat is much looser when latched than it was before. I’ve searched the forums and YouTube, but can’t find anything. Anyone have any insight? Thank you.

- Mike

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Sorry, I have no insight, 'cept mine is loose too, and I hear it rattling around when riding. I don't think you did anything while working on it, ya prolly just noticed the looseness cuz yer paying attention to it?
Ya could maybe get sum weather stripping at the hardware store 'n strategically place it to quell the looseness?

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s possible I’m paying more attention, but I really don’t think so. If I lift up on the seat when it’s latched, without unlocking it, it lifts 3-4 mm and can be wiggled side to side significantly. I usually put my hand there when squeezing the bike in my 2 car garage with two cars in it, and I don’t remember it moving the way it does now. Good idea about the weatherstripping, I think I may give that a go. Thank you sir!

- Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just noticed the exact same thing on mine this morning. It was so tight the first time I took it off I could barely get it off, now when I put it back on its jiggly and I can’t see that I’m doing anything wrong

I used weather stripping on my race bike seat with the same problem, worked great.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mine's jiggly as well. Haven't addressed it yet.

It's the el cheapo latch mechanism with its huge amounts of free-play, around 3-4 mm worth. I think the entire latch mechanism is riveted together so it'll be difficult to re-engineer with washers/spacers. Same story with the clevis pin attached to the seat, also riveted to the seat, so can't fix that with washers. Easy fix is glue weather stripping/ thin plastic or whatever to the both feet of the seat. Be careful to use the correct amount of height to add so it locks and unlocks properly. And don't forget to grease that latch mechanism once in a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts