Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I got my bike back yesterday morning from its first service. I didn't even think to do a once over on it honestly. Rode around town a bit for the rest of the day.

This morning I walked by the bike and looked but didn't notice anything. Ran to the store and walking by it again I noticed a small amount of liquid under the bike on the concrete. After inspecting the oil filter was lose, I could turn it easily either way with my hand.

Because I failed to check everything after the service or at any time yesterday I have no way I'd telling how long its actually been lose. The level is fine though.

My dad said this is normal? He didn't explain though. Did it come loose naturally ? Did the dealership fail to to tighten it correctly? Should I be upset after giving them 200$?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Yes you should be upset! This is basic stuff and why a lot of us service our own bikes.
When the engine is cool tighten the filter as hard as you can by hand.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Where have I seen this before....hmmm, looks like another tech in training...

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you should be upset! This is basic stuff and why a lot of us service our own bikes.
When the engine is cool tighten the filter as hard as you can by hand.
Of course they are closed today. I did as you suggested and tightened it as much as I could with my hand. Seems like lost a minimal amount of oil, levels right in the middle of the 2 lines in the window while my friend holds the bike level.

I'll call them tomorrow and let them know but I don't expect them to care much. Just glad I caught it before more time and riding past.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Of course they are closed today. I did as you suggested and tightened it as much as I could with my hand. Seems like lost a minimal amount of oil, levels right in the middle of the 2 lines in the window while my friend holds the bike level.

I'll call them tomorrow and let them know but I don't expect them to care much. Just glad I caught it before more time and riding past.
Ill be reposting an oil change video eventually and there is one on here by emudshit - watch it..

Generally you screw the filter on till the rubber seal Meets/Contacts the faced motor housing, Then turn it another 3/4 turn, Your just hand tightening it, Don't over tighten it or you'll be cursing up a storm trying to get it off next time....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do my own changes and when I owned an EX500, my drain bolt loosened itself and came off while I was about to hop onto the Coronado bridge to head home. I noticed the smoke from the oil just as I started feeling the rear end start to fishtail. From that day on, its been lockwired drain bolts and a 2 inch hose clamp with lockwire on the filter on every bike I have owned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was about to hop onto the Coronado bridge to head home.
Hey, a fellow San Diegan! I've been wondering if there was another on the forum, safe travels out there. It's been especially dangerous as of late in SoCal with over over two dozen motorcycle fatalities in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just wanted to post resolution. Called the dealership this morning at work and spoke to the manager of the shop. He asked that I bring the bike by so he can make sure everything is alright. Took about 20 mins.

After he expressed how he knows how frustrating this must be and asked if there was anything he could do. I didn't suggest or request anything I simply told him how disappointed I was after seriously debating whether or not to have them do the first service for such a high fee (180$)

The guy really seemed distressed and upset, though completely respectful and professional. After our conversation he asked me to wait while he goes and talks with someone inside. 5 mins later he comes back and gives me a return on the labor fees (140$)

It was a pretty good gesture I wasn't expecting at all. Though while waiting I was talking to another customer waiting to pick up from service. His new xcross bike fell apart after the first hill. I can't recommend the service center, though the manager and sales did give a fair price on the bikes and reimburse after the service. I'm in the central valley(CA) if anyone wants to know the dealership just send me a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts