Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm considering picking up a Shoei X-14 but am wondering about the fit. I will go try one on if I can find it in stock anywhere nearby once stores open back up again in the new year. In the meantime just wanted to get some opinions. Looks like they fit an intermediate oval. I currently have an HJC i10 in a size S and it's snug and quite comfortable. Seems like the i10 also fits an intermediate oval. Has anyone owned/tried on the i10 as well as the X-14 and know if they both would fit the same head shape? They X-14 colorway I want is currently on sale and I wanted to grab one soon.

Thanks in advance!

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Honestly every head is different, so the only good way to do it is to try it on yourself. I bought an X-14 last year after trying on a few other helmets, and so far it's the best helmet I've ever had. For me the biggest trouble has always been field of view when looking up (in other words when I'm fully tucked). It seems that most helmets tend to sit a bit too low in my forehead even when they fit perfectly fine and feel very good and snug around my head, so when I'm fully tucked I can't see very far ahead because the edge of the helmet blocks the view. The X-14 has the best field of view at the top that I have found so far, and since it fit very comfortably around my head as well, I decided to get that. Arai helmets have been ok as well when it comes to field of view, but I just don't like their shape as much. This is after trying on Bell Star, HJC RPHA 11, and a couple of AGV helmets. The price sucks, but the X-14 is a great helmet.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Honestly every head is different, so the only good way to do it is to try it on yourself. I bought an X-14 last year after trying on a few other helmets, and so far it's the best helmet I've ever had. For me the biggest trouble has always been field of view when looking up (in other words when I'm fully tucked). It seems that most helmets tend to sit a bit too low in my forehead even when they fit perfectly fine and feel very good and snug around my head, so when I'm fully tucked I can't see very far ahead because the edge of the helmet blocks the view. The X-14 has the best field of view at the top that I have found so far, and since it fit very comfortably around my head as well, I decided to get that. Arai helmets have been ok as well when it comes to field of view, but I just don't like their shape as much. This is after trying on Bell Star, HJC RPHA 11, and a couple of AGV helmets. The price sucks, but the X-14 is a great helmet.
Do you grab your helmet front and rear after doing it up snug and lift the front slightly? When I first started racing my mentor friend showed me this trick and I do it automatically now, but I'm not sure if other racers do it?

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Do you grab your helmet front and rear after doing it up snug and lift the front slightly? When I first started racing my mentor friend showed me this trick and I do it automatically now, but I'm not sure if other racers do it?
Not that I know of, but if I lift the front slightly, it won't stay there. On the bankings of Daytona with my old helmet I would have to ride one-handed because I would use my left hand to push the front of the helmet up a bit so I can see further ahead, since it's not a real straight and looking ahead actually means looking up and slightly left. I don't think I will need to do that with the X-14 though.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Not that I know of, but if I lift the front slightly, it won't stay there. On the bankings of Daytona with my old helmet I would have to ride one-handed because I would use my left hand to push the front of the helmet up a bit so I can see further ahead, since it's not a real straight and looking ahead actually means looking up and slightly left. I don't think I will need to do that with the X-14 though.
Give it a try, if you have a good fitting helmet then it should stay there. You have to grab the back of the helmet as well so that it is pulled down a little too and the actual helmet is rotated on your head slightly, not just trying to push the front up. It feels a little bit odd until you get on the bike and into the crouch position.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Give it a try, if you have a good fitting helmet then it should stay there. You have to grab the back of the helmet as well so that it is pulled down a little too and the actual helmet is rotated on your head slightly, not just trying to push the front up. It feels a little bit odd until you get on the bike and into the crouch position.
Well the nice thing about the X-14, which I haven't seen any other helmet manufacturer do so far, is that it has 2 positions to mount the padding pieces inside, which essentially does exactly that. Shifting the way the helmet fits on the head front-to-back, but without actually shifting the whole shell...if that makes sense. They probably do a better job at explaining it on their website. Either way, it's a pretty awesome helmet, I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, yeah I think I'll just go try it on and hope it's still on sale when I do. Stores should start opening back up in a week or so. I'm not too concerned about the field of view, my current HJC i10 is fine as is already, so anything better would just be a bonus! I don't really tuck much, hard to even do comfortably on the 400 due to the upright position.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah the helmet face port 'brow' being a little low was an issue my AGV had. Even if you tilted it up it would be forced back by neck contact during full tuck. A folded pillow case under the helmet crown liner raised the helmet the smidge it needed.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Yeah the helmet face port 'brow' being a little low was an issue my AGV had. Even if you tilted it up it would be forced back by neck contact during full tuck. A folded pillow case under the helmet crown liner raised the helmet the smidge it needed.
I've heard of people doing that and tried it myself but I didn't like the way it felt, plus I'd have to do it every time I put it on lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
I’ve got two X-14’s (had X-11’s and X-12’s before), love the adjustability and just about everything else about it. I’ve tried a few other helmets over the years, and I definitely have a Shoei head. Never owned an HJC though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've heard of people doing that and tried it myself but I didn't like the way it felt, plus I'd have to do it every time I put it on lol
Yes, if you don't get the position or fold just right you lose a bit of comfort. You don't need to do it every time though, it stays held in place under the liner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts