Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of ordering a Lithium Battery for my new Ninja 400 as they are about a quarter the weight of the OEM lead acid battery.

I had Shorai's in my CBR250 & 300 with good results so looking at getting a Shorai LFX-12 which is 12 Amp/hr & 155 CCA.

You can order them with the positive terminal on either side but of course I don't know which side the OEM battery has it on.

Hoping maybe @Pat can help as he is only member with a bike at this stage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Positive terminal is on the left side when facing front on the bike. I think the LFX 12 will work, but why not Shorai Lithium Battery LFX14A4-BS12? That is a drop in for the ninja 300, and the 400 will have slightly more internal friction due to the larger displacement. Are you going for weight savings? The difference between the two is ~.5 lbs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Positive terminal is on the left side when facing front on the bike. I think the LFX 12 will work, but why not Shorai Lithium Battery LFX14A4-BS12? That is a drop in for the ninja 300, and the 400 will have slightly more internal friction due to the larger displacement. Are you going for weight savings? The difference between the two is ~.5 lbs
Good point. If improved power-to-weight ratio is whats wanted here then maybe just wait for Flash-Tune to do something? However if you want it for the peace of mind of having what should be increased reliability and dependability, I guess you can go through with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lithium Ion battery install

This is a quick DIY for installing a Shorai Lithium Ion battery into the Ninja 400. The battery I installed is the LFX14A4-BS12. This is the recommended replacement for the Ninja 300 according to Shorai. It has the following specs:
12 V
210 CCA- Cold Cranking Amps
14 Ah- Amp Hours
60 Wh- Watt Hours
Weight: 1.98 lbs/0.901 kg
Case Size 4: 86mm/3.39" x 148mm/5.83" x 88mm/3.46"

The stock lead acid battery has similar dimensions, but obviously is a good deal heavier. I believe it is also rated for only 130 CCA and I recall it has 8 Ah capacity. For this reason a Shorai LFX12A1-BS12 with 155 CCA and 12Ah should be sufficient for the bike and will save ~.4 lbs. I opted for the marginally heavier LFX14 since I can swap it over to a larger bike at a later date if I so desire. It will also be more likely to turn over the bike in colder weather. Some of these lithium ion batteries have had issues starting in temps below 30-40F. I'm in a warm climate so that's not really an issue for me, but it is something I keep in mind if my wife or I rides the bike in a colder environment. In that case, the battery will need to be put under load to warm it up prior to starting, see here for more details:
Shorai LFX21A6 Battery in cold weather | Adventure Rider

Before I get to the install, I'd like to say this to the individuals who gravitate away from working on their own bikes: I'm a strong believer in DIY work, since it is liberating to understand the operation and intricacies of your motorcycle, having the satisfaction of accomplishment of a job well done, and achieving that visceral man/machine connection. Instead of dropping your bike at the dealer, I'd recommend getting a small quality set of hand tools and doing the simple maintenance tasks and modifications yourself. You'll learn a good bit, save some cash, and hopefully enjoy the heck out of it. The worst thing that can happen is you break something. Then you fix it and move on with life. I'll be posting a few more simple guides as I get some more parts, most of which are from the Ninja 300. There will be some retrofitting, but that's what makes it fun!

With that said, here's a quick guide on installing the battery.

1. First, pull off the passenger seat. Don't have pics of this, but the process is in your owners manual and involves putting your key into the lock on the left hand side of your bike and pulling the seat towards the gas tank while you twist the key. The fit of my seat is quite tight so I have to be careful when removing.

2. Next, remove the rider's seat. This is easily done by pulling on the small black loop that is located in the compartment on the right side of where the passenger seat used to be. A click should be heard and the seat can lift away.

3. You should now be looking at the battery, which is retained by a piece of bent sheet metal with a fastener. Remove the fastener and sheet metal retainer, and disconnect the terminals, negative first, followed by positive. The reason to disconnect negative first is due to the fact that a bike's chassis is typically grounded. Therefore, the potential between the negative terminal and the bike is 0V, so current will not flow if you "short" the wrench between the negative terminal and the chassis. Disconnecting the positive terminal and accidentally touching any bare metal on the chassis with the wrench has a 12V potential with virtually no resistance, which can weld your wrench to the bike due to the overwhelming current flow. While the odds of this happening are low, better safe than sorry. You should now be looking at the following, although the battery will still be stock in your case:

4. Carefully remove the stock battery, and tape up the terminals. Store in a safe place, or sell it for $$$. Turn your attention to the sheet metal retainer, which has a rubber nub that lightly preloads the battery to prevent it from moving up and down during riding. Pull the nub out and put it back the opposite way so it looks like below. You can use a small screw driver to coerce the rubber plug through the hole, since it's a pain to push through. The Shorai battery isn't as tall as the stock battery, so this allows you to retain the battery without adding any foam or shims.

5. The positive battery terminal has bends which fit over the stock battery terminal. These will not fit over the Shorai, so grab a pair of pliers or vice grips to straighten them out. You only need to straighten the two on the left and right; the one directly across from the cable clamp doesn't need to be messed with.

6. Drop the new battery in, being careful not to touch the terminals to any metal. Connect the positive terminal first, followed by ground LAST. Install the sheet metal retainer as shown. Because I flipped the retainer over, I installed a slightly longer screw to get proper thread engagement, although the old screw would probably work just fine. Make sure to put the boot over the positive terminal when finished.

7. Put the key in, make sure the gauges come on and start the bike. Shorai claims their batteries ship with ~70% charge, so you shouldn't have to charge prior to starting. I let the bike idle for a bit while I cleaned up my garage to give the alternator a chance to charge the battery. Re-install the seats and you are good to go!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Pat, will get mine ordered now. I'm going with the LFX-12 because Shorai typically over spec what is required for a bike so they sell a bigger battery (my opinion only).
I ordered a LFX-09 (135 CCA) for my CBR300 which had OEM battery rating of 105 CCA and it had ample capacity.
What is the CCA rating of the OEM lead acid battery you removed?

Late edit: Just read your other post and see the OEM batt is 130 CCA and 8Ah so will try out the LFX-12 (cheaper and slightly lighter) and keep y'all posted! Cheers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
How does the battery work? Any issues that we need to know about? They wont allow shipping of batteries here (Philippines) for personal usage, only to companies I will have to look around for one here.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the battery work? Any issues that we need to know about? They wont allow shipping of batteries here (Philippines) for personal usage, only to companies I will have to look around for one here.
I only got 3 years out of last one but apart from that I had no issues and it went quickly at the end not a slow lead acid type of death. Lol.
Some people say you need a special lithium charger to charge them but I just used my regular one. Only a couple of times though as they hold their charge better than lead acid batteries when not being used. You cant use a fancy modern charger with reconditioning cycles and such like though.
If your racing then this would be the way to go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@Kiwi Rider How has your Shorai LFX-12 battery been? I'm looking at getting same and wondered how the cranking ability has been now that we're getting colder days..

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Kiwi Rider How has your Shorai LFX-12 battery been? I'm looking at getting same and wondered how the cranking ability has been now that we're getting colder days..
Yeah real happy with it thus far. Haven't noticed any slowing in the turn over speed. I was pretty sure it would be grunty enough as I had an LFX-09 in my CBR with no cranking issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
@KiwiRider I have been having issues with my lfx-12. The battery is fully charged but when I go to start the bike after it has been sitting overnight, it will not start in neutral. (I get the click click click sounds a dead battery makes.) As soon as I put it in first gear, put up the kickstand, pull in the clutch, and the bike starts right up. I have no clue why I’m having this issue and next I will try putting the original battery back in to see if it has the same issue, but this didn’t start until I switched to the shorai lfx-12. Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@KiwiRider I have been having issues with my lfx-12. The battery is fully charged but when I go to start the bike after it has been sitting overnight, it will not start in neutral. (I get the click click click sounds a dead battery makes.) As soon as I put it in first gear, put up the kickstand, pull in the clutch, and the bike starts right up. I have no clue why I’m having this issue and next I will try putting the original battery back in to see if it has the same issue, but this didn’t start until I switched to the shorai lfx-12. Any idea what it could be?
Well that's a weird one. Def swap the battery out and eliminate that first. If its turning it over fine with the bike in gear etc then i cant see how its the batt. What voltage is it reading?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wonder if the safety switch at the kickstand could be "going bad". I've never experienced it, but isolating the switch may be in order, after the battery is either swapped out, or verified to be good. I'd try bypassing the switch with a jumper wire, just to see what happened.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am getting the same issue when I try to start the 400 with the kickstand down at times. I pull the kickstand up and it starts normal. I have a lithium ion battery as well. I do think it’s the kickstand. It’s bent and the bike leans over way more than other 400s. I may ditch the kickstand next season anyway.

The stock battery weighs a little over 10 pounds, the lithium battery I have weighs maybe 2 pounds!:clap:

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am getting the same issue when I try to start the 400 with the kickstand down at times. I pull the kickstand up and it starts normal. I have a lithium ion battery as well. I do think it’s the kickstand. It’s bent and the bike leans over way more than other 400s. I may ditch the kickstand next season anyway.

The stock battery weighs a little over 10 pounds, the lithium battery I have weighs maybe 2 pounds!:clap:

@Jkoby27 Anything to report back on your issue?

·
Registered
153 Posts
@Kiwi Rider hey sorry for the late response, I switched back to the stock battery yesterday and as I expected the bike starts up just fine again, no issues at all. It’s very weird. I forgot to mention, with the lithium battery as soon as I would get the bike started by putting it in first gear, I would then have no issues getting it to start in neutral after riding it a short period of time. But once I would park the bike overnight and try again the next day I would experience the issue. I did some research and read about lithium battery’s going into “sleep mode” and I’m wondering if maybe that’s what’s happening? I do not think any thing is wrong with my kickstand censor as the bike has never been down and it’s still fairly new with only 3k miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will try to take the lithium shorai battery to an auto part store to get a voltage reading next. @JFMNINJA400 are you also running a shorai lfx-12? Or a different lithium battery?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I will have to read up on this issue. This is my 2nd Shorai and neither of them have done that before. I have a different brand Lithium in my race bike (Ultra Batt) and it has been good as well..
Very interesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I do not have any experience with this type of battery, I do have some experience with lipo batteries in general.
The '' sleep mode'' is not something that you should be experiencing with a new battery or a battery that is properly charged. It is more of a protection than anything else. If one of the cells in the battery drops below 2.2 or 2.0 vdc the internal protection of the battery will put it into the sleep mode. With a proper lipo battery charger sometimes these cells can be revived, but in my experience lipo batteries should only be charged with a proper lipo battery charger that is capable of charging and balancing the cells.
Your problem is a bit interesting but I don't think it is a sleep mode problem, it could be more of a problem with the battery being cold. Lipo batteries work better when they are warm. I would suggest that the next time you have this issue turn on any and all accessories that you have on the bike for a couple of minutes to warm up the battery and try it again to see if the problem is still the same.
I would also suggest that you invest in a proper lipo battery charger that can charge, discharge and balance the cells.

·
Registered
153 Posts
@SilentAssassin The battery charger I have is the battery tender junior 800 which is a combo unit that you can push a button to switch it from lead acid (standard) to lithium (LiFeP04). Would having the lithium battery connected to the charger keep it warm? Last time I tried, I had it connected and it was reading a full charge (maintaining), then I disconnected the charger, tried starting it in neutral and I still had the issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts