Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket kit available to link the front and rear brakes, similarly to how they are linked on some Harley's?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree you probably don't need them, but I can use technology to give me one extra layer of protection from human error, why not?

·
Registered
145 Posts
There used to be some bikes in the past with a mechanical synchronization of front and rear brake, but it was a technology that didn't evolve.

Now, Honda has some bikes with C-ABS (C is for combined) which is an electronic rear/front linkage of the brakes. I don't know how good or bad it is.
The thing is the most of the braking power is on the front tire, so it looks like a good abs front brake is the way to go.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There used to be some bikes in the past with a mechanical synchronization of front and rear brake, but it was a technology that didn't evolve.

Now, Honda has some bikes with C-ABS (C is for combined) which is an electronic rear/front linkage of the brakes. I don't know how good or bad it is.
The thing is the most of the braking power is on the front tire, so it looks like a good abs front brake is the way to go.
I could see it with C-ABS like you say or maybe a 700lb upright street barge like a Harley, But a mechanical on 370 lb bike would lock up the rears regularly creating a slide out hazard I would think.. I'm definitely not a fan of the idea, then again I'm not sure I like abs on a bike cause it increases the stopping distance, but on the other hand will help keep you from sliding out, or front flip in an emergency stopping situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't stay away from ABS

An article in superstreetbike.com titled "Motorcycles with ABS Technology are for Good Riders Too." by Brian Hatano, shows that at times non-ABS stopping distance numbers are only slightly shorter than those with ABS. But at freeway speeds ABS can be slightly shorter. Ari Henning, Motorcyclist Road Test Editor handled the riding.
Braking distances (in feet)
Dry Asphalt
40 MPH to 0

ABS: 46.5 , 44, 43
NON-ABS: 39, 40, 39

60 MPH to 0
ABS: 85, 95, 86
NON-ABS: 95, 89, 88

Slick Surface
40 MPH to 0
ABS: 46, 49, 48
NON-ABS: 47,48,43