Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well ****.. can someone help me out. After looking up Dyno information on this slip on exhaust it loses horsepower and torque. Not a lot but one of the primary reasons for changing the exhaust was to squeeze an extra 1 horsepower into the bike not lose it. Can I get some insight into this decision, like should I contact sport bike track gear quickly and swap out to a different exhaust before they finalize it or was this not that terrible of a decision..

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I had a look at the LV dyno chart for this model pipe on their own web site. It appears to increase torque and power below 5000RPM but drops away after 6500. Kinda odd and even more so that they would publish that.

I'm not a huge LV fan, I think their build quality on some models is poor. I bought a GP corsa for my CBR250 and after 3000km use it blew the end cap right out of it, tearing out the carbon fiber around the rivet holes in the process. It was stuffed essentially. The seller (STG) referred me to Leo Vince but they never replied to one of my e-mails.
They are still making it with the same crappy three rivet design.
Here's a pic of the one for the Ninja 400, you can see the lack of riveting on the end cap.

leo_vince_kawasaki_ninja_400_2018_gp_corsa_slip_on_exhaust_4__32056.1530195420.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info! I went with my gut feeling last night and emailed STG. I got ahold of them quick enough and they refunded me so I ordered the hindle megaphone instead. It seems to have Good reviews and from the looks of it has better numbers on the Dyno. I honestly had to double take when I saw Leo Vince's Dyno numbers and thought the same thing you thought, "why would you guys even post these numbers.." I saw it has a small torque increase at lower rpms but to me since the N400 gets its power mainly higher in the rpm band just seems To be a useless exhaust. Either way thanks for your personal experience

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for the info! I went with my gut feeling last night and emailed STG. I got ahold of them quick enough and they refunded me so I ordered the hindle megaphone instead. It seems to have Good reviews and from the looks of it has better numbers on the Dyno.
I actually just got this as well! It's a super sleek look imo and sounds absolutely bada$$ (especially when you're idling at stops). The only thing I would add is that going from the stock exhaust to this, it was a bit TOO loud (you really don't get the real feel from the videos lol) for me but maybe I just need to get used to it? I did get some earplugs and ordered the little baffle insert from STG as well. Haven't received it yet but I can update ya on how much of a difference that makes

·
Registered
41 Posts
That sucks, I was looking into the LV-10. My previous experience with LV was excellent, owned by Akro if I remember right. One of the only carbonfiber exhaust you could trust, especially on sport vtwins. Looks like they build like all the others now. Their initial low rpm torque bump be may help get things rolling faster.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I had a look at the LV dyno chart for this model pipe on their own web site. It appears to increase torque and power below 5000RPM but drops away after 6500. Kinda odd and even more so that they would publish that.

I'm not a huge LV fan, I think their build quality on some models is poor. I bought a GP corsa for my CBR250 and after 3000km use it blew the end cap right out of it, tearing out the carbon fiber around the rivet holes in the process. It was stuffed essentially. The seller (STG) referred me to Leo Vince but they never replied to one of my e-mails.
They are still making it with the same crappy three rivet design.
Here's a pic of the one for the Ninja 400, you can see the lack of riveting on the end cap.

View attachment 2759
Interesting, thanks for the info.
I bought this one for the 400 and a mid-pipe.
They have these made in China, hence why the quality is crap. Wonder if I should drill 2 more holes in each end cap and throw a couple aluminium rivets in it extra?

I have cut, shortened and riveted many pipes back together............

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the info.
I bought this one for the 400 and a mid-pipe.
They have these made in China, hence why the quality is crap. Wonder if I should drill 2 more holes in each end cap and throw a couple aluminium rivets in it extra?

I have cut, shortened and riveted many pipes back together............
Yes I would definitely add a rivet between each set of rivets which would give you a total of six around the diameter which should be ample.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
exhibit A:
View attachment 4659
Still waiting for a response from LV..
Ouch, snap, yeah that sucks! I hope they stand by it, there cans have always been top notch. Knew many that stood by them on the high-end Ducati's and Aprilia's.
I am going to reinforce that thing for sure.
Thanks on the heads up.
Hopefully I can avoid that.

Looks like to me, the Corsa line was the budget slip on, so they had those outsourced to China vs their other lines like the Factory S or etc. made in Italy, in house.

How far into the can does the exit end cap go into the can, where you can drill the actual wall of the exhaust tip, is it fairly far enough in there if you drill lined up with the other rivets I should be hitting the solid part of the tip? Or move close to the actual exit port of the can.

I wonder if they drilled the holes too close to the edge(closer to the front of the bike) like in my #2 image example or #1...how much metal is there for it to grab onto?

Or maybe you have a shot of the end cap from the side?
Or possibly I should drill all the rivets out and put new rivets in it all around, rather not if I do not have to, cause more than likely their rivets are no better or less of quality than the ones I have. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I actually just got this as well! It's a super sleek look imo and sounds absolutely bada$$ (especially when you're idling at stops). The only thing I would add is that going from the stock exhaust to this, it was a bit TOO loud (you really don't get the real feel from the videos lol) for me but maybe I just need to get used to it? I did get some earplugs and ordered the little baffle insert from STG as well. Haven't received it yet but I can update ya on how much of a difference that makes
I have the hindle and the baffle and I will say the baffle makes a world of difference. Hindle says the baffle helps with 2-3 db but it sounds more like 20 to me, and it still sounds great.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
How far into the can does the exit end cap go into the can, where you can drill the actual wall of the exhaust tip, is it fairly far enough in there if you drill lined up with the other rivets I should be hitting the solid part of the tip? Or move close to the actual exit port of the can.
It was a couple of years ago now. I stuffed some new packing material in there and did a rough patch up job with a bunch of new rivets but it never looked like a new one again Lol.

I gave it to the new owner when i sold the bike with the OEM pipe on. Not sure if he ever used it. It had a horrible raspy note anyways.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It was a couple of years ago now. I stuffed some new packing material in there and did a rough patch up job with a bunch of new rivets but it never looked like a new one again Lol.

I gave it to the new owner when i sold the bike with the OEM pipe on. Not sure if he ever used it. It had a horrible raspy note anyways.
Lol, ok, well with that being said, hopefully I like the sound of it, it has the db killer with it, but we will see.

That is the problem with these inline twins, inline 2-cylinders(yes I call them i-2's), they sound like crap with a pipe and its so hard to find a good exhaust that has the right tone with an inline 2 cylinder.

They do not scream like the inline 4's and sound so good, its a crippled 4 sound, like a crippled dog, sound is so obnoxious. :)

You have so many variations of the 2 cylinders, push rod v-twin motors(Harleys) that have a deep rumble, then the over head cam v-twins which have a rumble but a whine and a unique sound and then the ducati desmo twins that sound amazing as well everywhere..idle, during accel, as red line approaches, etc., and all of these seem to sound even better with different pipes over stock.

Then the bimmer box motors, and the Guzzi opposed twins, etc.

No worries, thanks I probably should be good to just add some extra rivets.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Ok I mounted it, I put 3 extra rivets each side, used aluminium 5mm rivets I had, same diameter as the others, but I think their rivets are stainless so the alum reflection/shine are a little flatter than the stainless, but they do not look bad.

What I was shocked about is the entire setup is only 2.06 lbs....yes 2lbs!!! The stock I weighed is 9.01lbs, so a difference of 7lbs....I was expecting 4 to 5, but not a whole 7 lbs...with the tool kit and the fender eliminator I should easily be around 10 lbs under stock.... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Ok I mounted it, I put 3 extra rivets each side, used aluminium 5mm rivets I had, same diameter as the others, but I think their rivets are stainless so the alum reflection/shine are a little flatter than the stainless, but they do not look bad.

What I was shocked about is the entire setup is only 2.06 lbs....yes 2lbs!!! The stock I weighed is 9.01lbs, so a difference of 7lbs....I was expecting 4 to 5, but not a whole 7 lbs...with the tool kit and the fender eliminator I should easily be around 10 lbs under stock.... :)
Yeah they are a really light muffler alright. I guess that's why they are so loud because there's not much in there and cheap because less material is used in the manufacturing process.
Are you happy with the sound?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yeah they are a really light muffler alright. I guess that's why they are so loud because there's not much in there and cheap because less material is used in the manufacturing process.
Are you happy with the sound?
I started it in the garage and rev'ed it some when it warmed up, so far I like it. But the real test will be to actually ride it, I wanted to today, but with everything going on and having to take pictures of the SV to sell there was no way (which I could not get to until after 2, then had to be somewhere by 3)

Is there a noise reduction insert?
yes, mine came with one already inserted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is there an aftermarket header that mates up? Thinking the cheap slip on with an aftermarket header is the way to go for the track...easy to replace the slip on after a slide, instead of a whole one-piece system, and less expensive than replacing the akra slip-on every time...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Is there an aftermarket header that mates up? Thinking the cheap slip on with an aftermarket header is the way to go for the track...easy to replace the slip on after a slide, instead of a whole one-piece system, and less expensive than replacing the akra slip-on every time...
Yes, there are several headers out there for the 400.
Most of them are made to fit the aftermarket exhaust specific to the manufacture.
Like the Hindle, they claim only works with the Hindle slip-ons.
Or the Akrapovic, they claim only works with their slip-ons.

Here are the cheap Ali Chinese ones that appear to fit unknown, possibly 2in (50.8mm), unknown the quality or that I would trust it.....curious though cause it looks like it would fit the slip on without any mid-pipe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sli...lgo_pvid=098360b3-8bd0-40de-bd30-64c3e78a2686

This one says 2 in (50mm):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/nin...08-415f-b60d-266bd18efc06&transAbTest=ae803_5

1 - 20 of 46 Posts