Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on cycle trader and came up with 128 units for the model year 2018 and 714 units for 2019. Also, see a bunch of 2020 on dealers showroom floors surprised the leftover models are not discount more. Most Texas dealers regardless of the year have MSRP prices. Anyone by a leftover a get a good deal?

·
Registered
232 Posts
A friend checked today at his local dealer in Sacramento. They have a new 2019 Ninja 400 non-ABS for $4558 plus tax, license, doc fee which adds another 10%. For another $100 you get a 2019 Z400 ABS. These prices include the $410 destination and $249 dealer prep fees for the new bikes so that is a discounted price of $3899 and $3999. That's a lot better than the 950 mile used N400 I looked at this week, advertised for $3998 but they wanted to add $890 "dealer prep" to that. My friend asked his Kawa dealer about a dealer prep charge on a used bike and got a "what? that's new bikes only" kind of response. I wonder if he was thinking "if only we had the chutzpah of a HD dealer we could really boost our profit on used bikes"?

Some of the other dealerships 60+ miles from S.F. are also advertising 2018/2019s at $3800-4000 base price.

Since dealer prep/destination fees seem to be a standard charge it would be nice if they'd just jack up the base price to include it and give the customer a clearer idea (before they drive across town to look at a bike) what the actual price will be.

They may move more on price on the holdover models in a couple of months when they have mostly 2020 bikes on the showroom and are more anxious to clear out the old stock.

cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm in NC. About the best I've seen is $600-$800 US discounted off of MSRP. But they're still going to ad on freight, taxes, and all the "normal" BS. It's difficult to make cost comparisons across state lines because there are so many variables for taxes, and frankly competition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Agree...dealers here in Texas are not dealing yet, but given this weeks market correction and coronavirus media over-reaction, doubt there will as many buyers for the next couple of months. Several nice used bike, but their prices are way to high...and makes buying new a no brainer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Based on some OTD Pricing in the other thread dealers are eating Destination and Prep. I'm in the Bay Area and have seen a few 400 ABS with a sale price of $4,599 with taxes and everything they want $6.1K OTD. I'm not in a rush but saw one with a sale price of $4.2K that sold recently. I'm definitely trying to get in the low $5's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got a left over 2018 I bought in grand junction Colorado for $4114 out the door. You have to haggle with them and call around till you can find a dealer that is willing to negotiate. You may have to drive a few hundred miles. Ask them if they are willing to waive the dealer handling fee. Pay cash if you can. Don’t be a sheep.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Agree...dealers here in Texas are not dealing yet, but given this weeks market correction and coronavirus media over-reaction, doubt there will as many buyers for the next could of months. Several nice used bike, but their prices are way to high...and makes buying new a no brainer.
You may be right about fewer sales. But throw in the fact of the C virus at huge levels in the Asian countries, the entire global supply chain has been disrupted. In NC, I've already noticed a shortage of several new models of popular Asian autos. No reason to believe motorcycles will be any different. Time will tell if the media hype is "overaction", I certainly hope it is. But putting our heads in the sand and wishing it away, won't stop the virus when it arrives in mass. And anyone who believes it's not a real problem, only needs to monitor any news coverage of hospital patients in China or Korea. So, I'm guessing we'll have to wait awhile for those marked-down deals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a left over 2018 I bought in grand junction Colorado for $4114 out the door. You have to haggle with them and call around till you can find a dealer that is willing to negotiate. You may have to drive a few hundred miles. Ask them if they are willing to waive the dealer handling fee. Pay cash if you can. Don’t be a sheep.
That’s one awesome deal...you must of haggled for a while to get that. Just have to find a motivated dealer who wants to get the left over out of inventory. Surely Kawasaki is helping the dealers move older models, as they stock up on 2020.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've come to realize that advertised prices on the N/Z400 are meaningless. It appears that the lower the advertised price, the higher the fees and thus OTD price. This approach smacks of bait and switch, meaning you came in expecting one thing and end up with something completely different. I suppose this tactic is aimed more at a "payment" customer than someone looking to pay cash.

The best deal on a 2019 Z400 I could find was at Wheels in Motion in Chatsworth. Even so I believe that 2 left over Z400 are still in their inventory. This could be contributed to the fact that Wheels in Motion does not allow test rides. The used market for N/Z400 is non-existent, especially for the Z since its only been out for a year.

Frankly, I lost patience with the local Kawasaki dealers and with the track season upon us I pulled a trigger on a 2015 KTM RC390, fully farkled (Ohlins, ECU, brakes, exhaust, etc) with just 1900 miles for a price thats about the going rate for a higher mileage stock RC. Its not as smooth as the N400 (I haven't tested the Z) but it will do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did a search on cycle trader and came up with 128 units for the model year 2018 and 714 units for 2019. Also, see a bunch of 2020 on dealers showroom floors surprised the leftover models are not discount more. Most Texas dealers regardless of the year have MSRP prices. Anyone by a leftover a get a good deal?
I just purchased a 2019 for $5489. It was the cheapest I found in the dfw metroplex.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2020 400 abs KRT on April 22nd for 4174.00. 5000.00 out the door. Bought it in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati. They moved two of them the same day that I was there and one the day before. He said he would rather be making some money as apposed to nothing during these times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought a 2020 400 abs KRT on April 22nd for 4174.00. 5000.00 out the door. Bought it in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati. They moved two of them the same day that I was there and one the day before. He said he would rather be making some money as apposed to nothing during these times. View attachment 12540
Amazing deal...happy, safe riding. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts