Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Riding the Isle of Man is on my bucket list, then have a few beers at one of the local pubs! :clap:
Been there done that. Unfortunately my enthusiasm for the occasion got the better of me and I rode the wheels off my BMW R65 European touring steed - literally! Myself and my buddy were heading up the mountain to a good vantage point when I ran out of ground clearance at Windy corner. The center stand was already grinding as the corner tightened up. I had two options, run wide into the other lane or try and lean her a bit more. I went for the later option and come unstuck when too much weight went onto the centre stand and not enough on the wheels. Skated across the road at about 70MPH. We were both OK but the cops did me for careless use of a motor vehicle because I crossed the center line. £250 fine. That put a big dent in the beer budget!
Made the local newspaper:

P1010078.JPG

·
Registered
611 Posts
Been there done that. Unfortunately my enthusiasm for the occasion got the better of me and I rode the wheels off my BMW R65 European touring steed - literally! Myself and my buddy were heading up the mountain to a good vantage point when I ran out of ground clearance at Windy corner. The center stand was already grinding as the corner tightened up. I had two options, run wide into the other lane or try and lean her a bit more. I went for the later option and come unstuck when too much weight went onto the centre stand and not enough on the wheels. Skated across the road at about 70MPH. We were both OK but the cops did me for careless use of a motor vehicle because I crossed the center line. £250 fine. That put a big dent in the beer budget!
Made the local newspaper:

View attachment 11055
If that was me, I would have that article blown up and hanging on my garage wall!!! :bowing::bowing:
I am sure you will remember that trip for the rest of your life!!!:clap::clap:

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
If that was me, I would have that article blown up and hanging on my garage wall!!! :bowing::bowing:
I am sure you will remember that trip for the rest of your life!!!:clap::clap:
Yep, kinda hard to forget Lol :smile_big:
I felt bad for my buddy at the time as we all know you should ride more defensively with someone else's life in your care.
But we were both in our mid twenties at that time and not overly concerned about consequences.

We had a great time, I recommend this trip to anyone interested in bike racing. Ideally save up a bit more money and hire or buy a bike in the UK so you have wheels to get around the island to the various vantage points. Also then you will be able to say 'I rode the Isle of Man circuit'. Just mind that Windy corner!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
Hill climb practice run

I rode 115 miles (one way) today down to where the hill climb event is being held next Thursday.
I spent the best part of an hour doing runs up the hill scoping out the terrain. I had to keep to my side of the road though as there was sporadic tourist traffic heading to the look out at the top of the hill.
It's a lot bumpier and narrower than it looks in the clip below..
After the first run I was like "what have I signed myself up for!"
Also with the long vegetation this time of year you cant see through the corners at all and are running into them blind. It's a lot steeper than it looks in my photo.
I must have done about a dozen runs and was doing it in pretty much bang on a minute after a while which is about 15 seconds slower than Seths run in the clip on his 675 Trumpet last year.
But I should be able to improve on that quite a bit with the extra oomph of the SV and being able to use all of the road.
I was hitting 140kph by the end of the long straight just before the last right hander. I had one run where it jumped out of fifth half way up the straight on some bad bumps. I thought my chain had come off initially but no it was just the N400 gearbox curse Lol.
I'm glad I went down for look, definitely worth while and I feel more comfortable about it now. Just gotta keep a lid on things and make sure I dont throw my bike away as I need it for the circuit races on the Saturday.

P1010081.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/Seth.Devereux.Racing/videos/385475962019676/?v=385475962019676

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
Just being able to use the whole road will give you a bit more time. That looks like a blast. I would love it if one of our roads in Malibu was closed for a fun race day. Good luck!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I rode 115 miles (one way) today down to where the hill climb event is being held next Thursday.
I spent the best part of an hour doing runs up the hill scoping out the terrain. I had to keep to my side of the road though as there was sporadic tourist traffic heading to the look out at the top of the hill.
It's a lot bumpier and narrower than it looks in the clip below..
After the first run I was like "what have I signed myself up for!"
Also with the long vegetation this time of year you cant see through the corners at all and are running into them blind. It's a lot steeper than it looks in my photo.
I must have done about a dozen runs and was doing it in pretty much bang on a minute after a while which is about 15 seconds slower than Seths run in the clip on his 675 Trumpet last year.
But I should be able to improve on that quite a bit with the extra oomph of the SV and being able to use all of the road.
I was hitting 140kph by the end of the long straight just before the last right hander. I had one run where it jumped out of fifth half way up the straight on some bad bumps. I thought my chain had come off initially but no it was just the N400 gearbox curse Lol.
I'm glad I went down for look, definitely worth while and I feel more comfortable about it now. Just gotta keep a lid on things and make sure I dont throw my bike away as I need it for the circuit races on the Saturday.

View attachment 11139

https://www.facebook.com/Seth.Devereux.Racing/videos/385475962019676/?v=385475962019676
That looks like a blast.......I can think of a few roads I wish they would close for a few hours for bikes only!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Burt Munro Challenge 2020

I had an enjoyable three days down Invercargill competing in the Hill climb and the circuit sprints and also watching the beach races and the Speedway events. A real motorcycle fest.
The weather wasn't at it's best for the time of year - cool and very windy but mostly dry which is what counts on a bike right.

The hill climb was something different for sure... I found out two things pretty quickly. You need to change your springs front and rear for softer ones to absorb the bumps and you need to run super soft 'wet' tyres for grip as pre heated track tyres go cold while your queuing waiting your turn. So there were a few rear end slides and an unfortunate moderate tank slapper on my 2nd run that saw me needing to clean the inside of my leathers Lol. I did my first run in 55 seconds which was about 5 seconds quicker than my times on the Ninja. The 2nd run was a lost cause due to the afore mentioned incident. My third run went OK, took a different line through the bad corner but I never saw my time. maybe 52/53 seconds. The winner did it in 44.8 on a supersport so I was miles off the pace... Will I do it again next year? Nah. When the filmed footage gets uploaded to You tube I will post a link. The tank slapper could be fun viewing.

The sprint races at my home track (Teretonga) went a lot better. The take out here is 'stick to your knitting' 😄
There were 26 of us in race one including three of those supersport 450's all piloted by national level riders, so there was my challenge right in front of me. I crossed the line 5.7 seconds behind the third place getter and knocked .1 of a second off my PB. The cross winds at the end of the main straight (130MPH) were straight out scary and there were 10 DNF's. I was happy enough with my efforts and just pleased to finish the race in one piece.
Race 2 was in a little better conditions and I really put my head down and got a bit of a flow on. Was keeping touch with the guy in third but lost him a bit on the last lap passing slower traffic. Ended up crossing the line 3.6 seconds behind him but more pleasingly knocked another .5 of a second off my PB which is huge considering this is my home track. So I was really pleased even though it was another fourth spot for me. The time I spent recently racing in the National events seems to have paid dividends. I'll be back next year to claim a podium spot!

There was a photographer there and pics will emerge in time. My sponsor took this snap:

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
That's not Kiwi, that's some guy named Al. That was fun to watch, except for your jell-o elbows. The video doesn't show how steep it really is but you can hear it in motors. You can tell it was super bumpy. Thanks for sharing, it looked fun to ride.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
That's not Kiwi, that's some guy named Al. That was fun to watch, except for your jell-o elbows. The video doesn't show how steep it really is but you can hear it in motors. You can tell it was super bumpy. Thanks for sharing, it looked fun to ride.
Yeah it's surprising how the gradient got lost on film. Al's rear tyre slips briefly on that first right after the start which was why he was keeping the revs low. Surprising given the limited lean angle.
My run was legendary, I re-visit it in my dreams some times Lol.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts