Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

141 - 160 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks. Yeah people sometimes mistakenly think Pro Twins is for old lifestylers just because the machinery is not super trick. Very wrong. We’ve got hot shot young dudes out front pushing as hard as the superbike and supersport riders. We’ve got a guy racing this year who rides a 600 at the Isle of Man and even he’s just off podium pace. Great to watch him drag an elbow on an SV though!

Long story short the Winning times were in the 1:39’s and I was doing mid 1.45’s.
My excuse is ‘I’m still learning the track’ lol.

That's really not bad considering you're racing with the best in the country. But it's a similar deal here in the US. The twins class in MotoAmerica (SV650s and FZ-07s) is made up of young up and coming fast guys that are running at the front every race, older fast-ish club racers at the back who are good enough to be there but they have zero chances of being competitive, and various levels in between. For example, at 2 of the local tracks where MotoAmerica races the difference in lap times is about 10 seconds at NJMP (from top guy to the bottom) and at VIR about 7-8 seconds. So 6 seconds off the pace of the top guy here would also put you around 15-18th, but the grids were bigger, usually around 25-30, so you'd be middle of the pack.

As a comparison, my best time on my 400 would put me about 1 second off the pace of the last guy in the Twins cup at NJMP and about 0.5 seconds off the pace of the last guy at VIR :D If I got a well sorted FZ or similar bike and had some time to get used to it, I could probably scratch the top 20 maybe in a pro Twins race :D But that's expensive so I'm not even going to attempt it lol

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
That's really not bad considering you're racing with the best in the country. But it's a similar deal here in the US. The twins class in MotoAmerica (SV650s and FZ-07s) is made up of young up and coming fast guys that are running at the front every race, older fast-ish club racers at the back who are good enough to be there but they have zero chances of being competitive, and various levels in between. For example, at 2 of the local tracks where MotoAmerica races the difference in lap times is about 10 seconds at NJMP (from top guy to the bottom) and at VIR about 7-8 seconds. So 6 seconds off the pace of the top guy here would also put you around 15-18th, but the grids were bigger, usually around 25-30, so you'd be middle of the pack.

As a comparison, my best time on my 400 would put me about 1 second off the pace of the last guy in the Twins cup at NJMP and about 0.5 seconds off the pace of the last guy at VIR :D If I got a well sorted FZ or similar bike and had some time to get used to it, I could probably scratch the top 20 maybe in a pro Twins race :D But that's expensive so I'm not even going to attempt it lol
Yeah I can see your busy having fun on your Ninja presently but your still young so never say never eh. Interesting comparison though, cheers for that.

You pretty much summed me up in a nut shell there - older fastish club racer who’s good enough to be there Lol. Like it.

I’m in a diner having some caffeine, the weekends efforts have taken their toll.. only two more hours driving till my parents place.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Round 2 NZSBK Champs 2020

I'm back home again after nearly two weeks away on the road. The lawns are long, gardens dry but the cat's happy to see me.

We got even luckier with the weather for this round. Not only dry all three days but low twenties temp wise so pretty much perfect racing conditions. Dang! couldnt use the weather as an excuse :laugh:
The Levels track at Timaru is a fairly short and bumpy circuit that's old and narrow so not a lot of room for error.

Practice day Friday went pretty well, I just got reacquainted with the track (2nd time there) and worked on my lines, braking markers and gear selection etc. I seemed to get unusually high tyre wear that we put down to a new section of seal on the track and I was perhaps a bit high in my rear pressure.

Qualifying on Saturday morning was a right balls up. They seemed to have some inexperienced people on the gate and we were all sent out at once rather than staggering us. I should have done one lap then came in to the dummy grid area and waited for a gap before restarting. Instead I just did a couple of congested laps and came in. I wasnt too bothered as I always get a good start due to my ridiculous low weight.
So I qualified 17th outta 19.

Race 1 on Saturday afternoon was a good one. I blitzed 4 riders off the line and rode a good consistent race to take 13th as there were a couple of DNF's too. I shadowed the 12 place getter most of the race at about 20-30 meters. I had to ride my hardest just to stay with him, couldn't reel him in.

Race 2 on Sunday morning was a real mixed bag. I started well again but then got cocky and tried to draft the guy in front of me down the main straight on pretty much the first lap. I should have bided my time and worked out a better strategy. He was faster than I thought and had to bail out of the inside passing manouver at the last minute. Now I was under full braking and apexing way too early but I couldn't turn the bike quick and tight enough and run wide, leaving the track momentarily while three riders went past. Now I was last - Bugger. Long story short I rode the wheels off the thing in a pretty ragged fashion and got past all those riders again plus the original one I was trying to pass. 13th again and did my best lap time of the wkd.

Race 3 Sunday afternoon was OK but I was tiring and found it hard to focus. It was a pretty cool race in that I rode it in a bunch of four with quite a few positional changes. Unfortunately when the race got red flagged due to a crash two laps early I was on the back of the peloton. 14th.

There were some frustrating corners that I just couldn't seem to get right and the guys would make ground on me there every lap. I know exactly what I need to work on at the practice day next year lol. The pace was hot out front again this weekend and the young guns were breaking the Pro Twins track record. My time in race 2 would have seen me in 9th place last year looking at the data.

Overall I was happy with the wkd though, esp as I was a lot faster than last year and no longer the tail end Charlie. The bike went well and I kept it upright. I also took my PB down from 1:15.0 to 1:12.8

So after two rounds I'm sitting 14th outta 19 riders in the Pro Twins class. From here they go to the North Island for three more rounds but that's it for me, my Nationals campaign is short and sweet this year. Hopefully it has increased my pace for the club racing down here.

83206325_115359866436996_6617718187003740160_n.jpg

81929071_1440554482772778_9222178113255899136_o.jpg

82544863_1440553776106182_399309513305358336_o.jpg

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Good job Kiwi, we are living thru you at this point. Another 3 months until my 1st track day and race of the season!
Not that your counting right Ha ha. Yeah it's the same for me here in the winter months, I enjoy reading you guys race reports with a certain amount of jealousy.
I've got two free weekends now then I have another big three day event where I'm going to compete in a hill climb for the first time in my life. :eek:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend @Kiwi Rider! Nice job on the races and the solid PB improvement. You're doing everything right...having fun and getting better. That's what I strive for every time I go out on track!

Hill climb?? Please put a camera on the bike. This we NEED to see! :D

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)

·
Registered
785 Posts
My camera died unfortunately. :(
It's a pretty short and rough run, well under a minute. I think you do three runs. I'll find out soon enough!

This is one of the faster on-board clips I've seen taken from a Triumph 675, it's not on You tube just his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Seth.Devereux.Racing/videos/385475962019676/
Not what I was expecting. I thought it was one of those dirt events where you climb a steep hill on a dirt bike. When you don’t make it, the bike and rider come back falling down the hill :surprise:! I have no interest in that, too old and fragile.:wink:

Will you be using your race bike? I would try this hill climb, looks like fun!

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
My camera died unfortunately. :(
It's a pretty short and rough run, well under a minute. I think you do three runs. I'll find out soon enough!

This is one of the faster on-board clips I've seen taken from a Triumph 675, it's not on You tube just his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Seth.Devereux.Racing/videos/385475962019676/
That's the kind of riding I do up in Malibu, but with 2 differences, yours is on a closed road, I wish!!! And all those folks standing on the side of the road. Let us know how you do.

PS Great shot!!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
...Will you be using your race bike? I would try this hill climb, looks like fun!
Yep, I'll use the SV as it has to be a bike that can pass scrutineering and requires stuff like an ignition kill strap attached to your glove encase you depart from the bike.
I'll go down the wkd before on the Ninja though and do some dummy runs as I've only been up this road in a car twice in my life Lol.

That's the kind of riding I do up in Malibu, but with 2 differences, yours is on a closed road, I wish!!! And all those folks standing on the side of the road. Let us know how you do.
Will do, yeah some of those people standing on the side of the road probably dont realise the line of fire they are potentially sitting in! It's a far cry from Pikes Peak but should be a hoot. My main goal is just to make sure I stay on the road and secondly enjoy it. There's only two classes: Up to 600cc and 600cc to open. So the SV at 650 cc wont be competitive. A race prepped 400 would be more ideal!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not what I was expecting. I thought it was one of those dirt events where you climb a steep hill on a dirt bike. When you don’t make it, the bike and rider come back falling down the hill :surprise:! I have no interest in that, too old and fragile.:wink:

Will you be using your race bike? I would try this hill climb, looks like fun!
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read "hill climb" lol

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yep, I'll use the SV as it has to be a bike that can pass scrutineering and requires stuff like an ignition kill strap attached to your glove encase you depart from the bike.
I'll go down the wkd before on the Ninja though and do some dummy runs as I've only been up this road in a car twice in my life Lol.

Will do, yeah some of those people standing on the side of the road probably dont realise the line of fire they are potentially sitting in! It's a far cry from Pikes Peak but should be a hoot. My main goal is just to make sure I stay on the road and secondly enjoy it. There's only two classes: Up to 600cc and 600cc to open. So the SV at 650 cc wont be competitive. A race prepped 400 would be more ideal!
Unfortunately bikes are not allowed at Pikes Peak anymore during the hill climb. For the first time in many decades of that event, they have banned bikes :( The next best thing for that type of even in North America is now the San Pedro Martir hill climb in Baja California, Mexico. It's really far away and there's nothing out there though. A friend of mine did it last year and I looked at the results and every class had only like 2-5 people in it. Pretty lame, not enough popularity, but maybe it will grow in the future.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Unfortunately bikes are not allowed at Pikes Peak anymore during the hill climb. For the first time in many decades of that event, they have banned bikes :( The next best thing for that type of even in North America is now the San Pedro Martir hill climb in Baja California, Mexico. It's really far away and there's nothing out there though. A friend of mine did it last year and I looked at the results and every class had only like 2-5 people in it. Pretty lame, not enough popularity, but maybe it will grow in the future.
Wow that is surprising. I cant understand why hill climbs dont capture peoples imaginations. We all know as a rider you feel more confident pushing it a bit on an up hill run vs down hill when the front end is all loaded up. I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah it's a shame about Pikes Peak, it would appear Carlin Dunne's death was one too many for the organisers. Hopefully this type of event doesn't become a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wow that is surprising. I cant understand why hill climbs dont capture peoples imaginations. We all know as a rider you feel more confident pushing it a bit on an up hill run vs down hill when the front end is all loaded up. I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah it's a shame about Pikes Peak, it would appear Carlin Dunne's death was one too many for the organisers. Hopefully this type of event doesn't become a thing of the past.

My understanding is that the organizers wanted to get rid of bikes from the Pikes Peak event for quite a few years, but after Dunne's death on the mountain, that's when they finally did it using that as an excuse. To be fair, quite a few people have died at Pikes Peak over the years, but it's no different with the Isle of Man TT, yet that event has been going on for over 100 years now.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My understanding is that the organizers wanted to get rid of bikes from the Pikes Peak event for quite a few years, but after Dunne's death on the mountain, that's when they finally did it using that as an excuse. To be fair, quite a few people have died at Pikes Peak over the years, but it's no different with the Isle of Man TT, yet that event has been going on for over 100 years now.
Riding the Isle of Man is on my bucket list, then have a few beers at one of the local pubs! :clap:

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Maybe they should also limit the Pike's Peak race to Prius' with a speed limiter, say 5mph but not until they re pave the road and install guard rails on both sides of the road the entire race. And maybe a few pit stops to make sure the well being of the driver is looked after etc etc.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Maybe they should also limit the Pike's Peak race to Prius' with a speed limiter, say 5mph but not until they re pave the road and install guard rails on both sides of the road the entire race. And maybe a few pit stops to make sure the well being of the driver is looked after etc etc.
And lets not forget the speed advisory signs for every bend. :devil:

141 - 160 of 204 Posts