Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
What’s next big Al? I am still about 5 weeks away from the 1st track day of 2020! Took
my son out for some lessons on Sunday when it was 60 degrees. He should be ready for
his 1st track day in June!
71847569-C67B-4F01-B492-8EA8CC53B21F.jpeg

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
What’s next big Al? I am still about 5 weeks away from the 1st track day of 2020! Took
my son out for some lessons on Sunday when it was 60 degrees. He should be ready for
his 1st track day in June!
Only 4 and a half weeks for you now lol.

I'm hitting the road three weeks from today to make Round four of the Nats in the North Island. It's a late decision after a good showing in the Burt Munro challenge races. I want to keep the momentum going. It's two days travel each way and a ferry crossing but there is another carrot involved in that I'm picking up the new SV in Wellington (our Nations capital) on the Monday morning after the races.
The racing is at the Manfield track and it's the only one that goes clockwise out of the five rounds. I went really well there last year and enjoyed myself, so keen to rtn.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Only 4 and a half weeks for you now now lol.

I'm hitting the road three weeks from today to make Round four of the Nats in the North Island. It's a late decision after a good showing in the Burt Munro challenge races. I want to keep the momentum going. It's two days travel each way and a ferry crossing but there is another carrot involved in that I'm picking up the new SV in Wellington (our Nations capital) on the Monday morning after the races.
The racing is at the Manfield track and it's the only one that goes clockwise out of the five rounds. I went really well there last year and enjoyed myself, so keen to rtn.
Welcome back! It's been a bit quiet around here lately :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
What are your plans for the new SV KIWI? Are you gonna track it out next season? How many bikes in your stable once you get the new SV?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
What are your plans for the new SV KIWI? Are you gonna track it out next season? How many bikes in your stable once you get the new SV?
This will be #4 so a little bit of shuffling around may be in order.. :whistle:

Yep, it's going to be a winter build with a view to tracking in the new season which kicks off early September. So for once I have got time on my side.

Bit's ordered and on their way so far:
  • M4 full exhaust system
  • Nitron NTR3 rear shock (has the low and high speed compression damping adjustment)
  • Chinese (Arashi brand) rear sets
  • GB racing engine case protectors.
  • Front fairing being made here in NZ.
  • I have a guy lined up who is going to blue print the stock forks and fit Traxxion Dynamic damper rods and emulators. He's been recommended by many of the top Nationals riders.
  • I'm going to raid the 41mm Vortex clip ons off the Ninja and save myself a couple of hundred bucks lol.
The first thing I will do when I get it home is put at least 500km on the motor with some twisty road riding. Then on April 14th I'm booked in at the Dyno tuners. Going to flash the ECU using the Woolich software once the exhaust is on.

I'm enjoying the project so far. I want the bike to look good so I'm still holding out on the rear tail section at this stage as the design of the guy who builds front fairings for the SV was not to my liking. I'm also going to get a professional spray painter to do the paint this time rather than myself. I need to match the fairing colour to the black of the stock tank.

That's about it, but heaps to come/think of.

·
Registered
715 Posts
This will be #4 so a little bit of shuffling around may be in order..
Bit's ordered and on their way so far:
M4 full exhaust system
  • Any reason you prefer the M4 system over others? Looks, performance, cost?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
  • Any reason you prefer the M4 system over others? Looks, performance, cost?
Once I started racing SV's I noticed most of the guys were running M4's and the bike I bought has a titanium full system fitted. Here's a bit of blurb cut and paste from the STG web site:

M4 Exhausts has been a fixture in the AMA Pro Racing paddock for years. M4 specializes in bike exhaust parts for Suzuki-brand bikes and also makes exhausts for a variety of other models.
Much of M4's research and development comes from their success on the race track. M4's focus is always on high quality, performance exhausts. They have built a solid name over the years for their quality and customer service - and the result is a great lineup of exhausts.

Before I committed to buying another M4 for the new bike I asked my Dyno tuner and he said he sees best results with the M4's so that sealed it for me. They're made in Dallas Texas.
This is the one I've purchased:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Once I started racing SV's I noticed most of the guys were running M4's and the bike I bought has a titanium full system fitted. Here's a bit of blurb cut and paste from the STG web site:

M4 Exhausts has been a fixture in the AMA Pro Racing paddock for years. M4 specializes in bike exhaust parts for Suzuki-brand bikes and also makes exhausts for a variety of other models.
Much of M4's research and development comes from their success on the race track. M4's focus is always on high quality, performance exhausts. They have built a solid name over the years for their quality and customer service - and the result is a great lineup of exhausts.
I like the M4's looks. Let us know how close to that advertised "Bolt on 10 HP" you get after your dyno test.. That sounds pretty substantial for an stand alone full exhaust. But it may not be that much for your SV.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I like the M4's looks. Let us know how close to that advertised "Bolt on 10 HP" you get after your dyno test.. That sounds pretty substantial for an stand alone full exhaust. But it may not be that much for your SV.
It was on the door step when I got hm form work today. Finish looks to be top notch as you'd expect. Yeah I took the 10 HP with a grain of salt and I was actually surprised to see that claim from them. Unless it's actually true ?
The bike will be arriving at the Dyno shop with the new system fitted. I haven't got the extra $$ to spend on mucking around swapping exhausts out and doing extra runs. It would be an interesting exercise though.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It was on the door step when I got hm form work today. Finish looks to be top notch as you'd expect. Yeah I took the 10 HP with a grain of salt and I was actually surprised to see that claim from them. Unless it's actually true ?
The bike will be arriving at the Dyno shop with the new system fitted. I haven't got the extra $$ to spend on mucking around swapping exhausts out and doing extra runs. It would be an interesting exercise though.
Nice. The SV has a rated 75 HP? That extra 10%, that would be pretty awesome for a bolt-on mod. Could be, their website does NOT make that claim for all of the bikes in the full exhaust line-up. I meant to ask, M4 has several slip-in Quiet Inserts Since you're tracking this SV, did you order one, or have you run one previously? If so, which ones. I've read over their web site's info, but still can't decipher it's meaning. Q1...Q4. Duh.?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks Kiwi, I was thinking of getting a quiet insert for my M4 exhaust on my 750. I found it on the M4 website for 35 bucks! I cut the cat off and it’s LOUD. I will ask my dyno tuner on wed when I pick the bike up if the quiet insert will mess with the custom dyno tune. I should have gotten it before the dyno tune. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Nice. The SV has a rated 75 HP? That extra 10%, that would be pretty awesome for a bolt-on mod. Could be, their website does NOT make that claim for all of the bikes in the full exhaust line-up. I meant to ask, M4 has several slip-in Quiet Inserts Since you're tracking this SV, did you order one, or have you run one previously? If so, which ones. I've read over their web site's info, but still can't decipher it's meaning. Q1...Q4. Duh.?
Yep 75 at crank is claimed stock figure. Most bikes in my class are putting out around 75-80 at the rear wheel with pipe mods and fuel/ignition map changes. Pretty lucky here in the noise dept, the clubs are easy on the regs unless it's obnoxiously noisy. Probably due to our low population and growth most of the tracks are still not in built up areas. Yeah I found all that stuff on the website confusing too. I'm just taking a gamble on the fact that my last one was well acceptable noise wise and will see how this one goes.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
2020/2021 summer season

It appears to be six months since I updated this thread so that's Covid for ya, followed by a winter...

So we get back into it on Sunday and I'm kinda amped but tired too as I've been pulling some after work hours in the bike workshop. I've somehow ended up last minuting on my street to race conversion of the new SV. Exactly the scenario I was trying to avoid! Also the forecast for Sunday is $hite at this stage. 😕

We never got in any rounds of the Southland Cup before winter so it's going to be a short comp this year consisting of just three rounds, Sept, Oct and Nov. Then in January I start the National series which is just four rounds next summer. As usual we will be hosting the annual Burt Munro Challenge races at my local track in Feb. Always good battles. So that's the racing plans for the season.

I've pretty much got the new bike done as of tonite apart from the paint job and sponsors stickers. That will come in the next few months. I need to change my rear sets as they are not aggressive enough for the track. Too far forward and not high enough. My knees are hitting the rear of the fairing. I wont bore y'all with any technical waffle about what I did as it's not a Ninja. A couple of pics I snapped off earlier:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
I'll have to get back to you on Sunday night! It feels really good on the road, even with the stiff track spring. I went with the model that has high and low speed compression adjustment so something new to twiddle with lol.
Support is really good here and I'm seeing more and more pale blue springs around the track. The local importer/service agent said he will swap the spring free of charge if it's not right but it looks like the guys in the factory got it bang on using the given info of my weight and intended use. Also our dollar is quite good against the British pound which helps make them more affordable.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
Round 1 Southland Cup

Well, unlike me 'ol mate Boat sweltering in 107 degrees we had the opposite problem with a high of just 53 (12C) for my first day at the track for the new season. When I got there at 7.30 am it was raining steadily and did so till 9.30. The bike stayed in the van and I was feeling decidedly uninspired!
I went out in practice for a couple of laps on a drenched track just to warm the bike up properly and shake out the worst of my rust having not ridden track for six months.

By the time the first race came round late morning the sun was kinda out and the cool wind had actually dried the track. I was well slow off the line and two bikes beat me to the holeshot. I was happy just to sit back and sort out where the last of the wet bits were before committing myself fully. I picked off the first guy on a CBR400R easily but it took all of the SV's grunt to reel in a young 14 yr old whipper snapper on a KTM Moto3 bike. I have to concede he is faster round the bends than me, dam it all... but I took him down the main straight for the win. (y)

Race 2 we got a shower on the sighting/warm up lap so by the time we grided up it was slippery as sin. The rising young talent proved to be somewhat braver than myself in the wet and I settled for 2nd place. Discretion is the better part of valor!

Race 3 we were back to dry and I got the holeshot this time despite having to button off slightly to control a wheelie! I rode a pretty strong race and was enjoying the confident feeling of the new bike. The front end feels really planted and the overall stability around the track is better than my old SV. Confidence inspiring. Power feels similar and brakes way better. I just need to get a slipper clutch on it as I nearly crossed it up under heavy down changes in the last race. I think cos I'm a lightweight the rear wheel doesn't have a lot of weight on it or maybe I need to keep my weight back further. Long story short I lead the whole race for the win.

So 72 points bagged for the day (25+22+25), a good start to the season. As usual not a lot of strong competition and only about half a dozen in my class. So I'm pleased the young fella was there to stir me along a bit. :giggle:

A few snaps a mate of mine took. He's not bad with a camera:

181 - 200 of 204 Posts