Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on my first group ride Saturday. Went 1.5 away and it was mostly highway. At one point stopping for gas I noticed it was running hot. Turned the bike off while everyone filled up. When we got back on the road everything was good. Back on the highway going around 76ish my bike just turned off! Hit the throttle and nothing. Pulled over to the side and realized the kill switch. But I didn’t hit it. All fluids are full. Anyone have this happen? Is this common for smaller cc’s and long rides?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yep. The auto-switching kill switch on these bikes is a real pain. It’s a new way of reducing emissions. The work around is to flip it off and then back on at least once every 15 minutes. I’d say just put duct tape over it but that would be a safety hazard and against most state laws.

😊

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wait, are you saying there is an actuator in the kill switch that will physically throw it on? I was not aware of that and I have taken apart that switch housing for throttle cable lubrication twice already.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wait, are you saying there is an actuator in the kill switch that will physically throw it on? I was not aware of that and I have taken apart that switch housing for throttle cable lubrication twice already.
lol, no way. He probably hit it by mistake or it was something else.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Of course I was kidding. :)

I have accidentally hit my kill switch many times. Once in heavy traffic and had to pull to the shoulder to figure out WTF! Thought I was gonna die. One time I had a friend pass me and reach over and hit my kill switch. Ha ha. Very funny. 😊

·
Registered
78 Posts
Coming from an ADV background, kill switches only get used if someone drops their bike and it needs to be turned off (as the name implies). I never use it to turn a bike off, it's purely there for an emergency shut-off...just use the key. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts