Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Another Kiwi here :) Not looking to upgrade my current learner bike for a little while yet but the new Ninja 400 has caught my attention enough to join this great forum to check it out a bit more.

Meanwhile here's a suggestion that the European/Australasian version of the Ninja 400 is power limited via ECU to 33.4kW compared to the USA version of 36kW.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 launch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
KiwiRider must be doing lots of networking while out there racing and camping, judging by the influx of people from New Zealand. :D

PS I presume the title of the post has nothing to do with South Korean car manufacturer? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, 'Kia Ora' is a common NZ traditional greeting which I used in the title to catch the eye of any and every other Kiwi in the vicinity :)

KiwiRider is quite famous to be sure in the right circles. In fact I think I might have seen his CBR300R for sale online not that long ago around these parts :)

Oddly enough I did test drive a Kia Rio last week...safe to say its not quite as exciting as the Ninja 400 :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Indeed, 'Kia Ora' is a common NZ traditional greeting which I used in the title to catch the eye of any and every other Kiwi in the vicinity :)
Who said being on internet is a waste of time - I learned something new today! :grin:

What other bikes do you consider when the time comes to upgrade/update your current ride?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a Duke 290 (2017 revision) for sale at a good price recently and was sorely tempted. But I knew the Ninja was about to hit our shores over here and wanted to see what all the fuss was about first. One thing which surprised me was that Kawasaki didn't get test units out to the western press a month ago.

It did make me worry that the bike wasn't as good as it was reputed to be (otherwise why not get a few early reviews out to increase the positive buzz). Thankfully it seems like its all going well.

Currently riding around on a Yamaha Scorpio 225...a full 18bhp at the crank! I do enjoy getting out on it though and for what it is, its a great super cheap ride.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Kia Ora Shiny! Welcome along, it's becoming a right Kiwi fest on this site eh :grin:
For you overseas guys Kia Ora is a greeting used in our native Maori language. Unfortunately not a lot of New Zealanders are fluent in this language, but most of us know quite a few words and phrases.

Hey cheers for the link to the NZ auto car article. That clears up the controversy (mainly on the Ninja 300 site) that there are two spec levels of engine output.
As a full licence holder this is annoying to me but I can see why they did it. Lets face it, a bigger portion of riders who buy this bike are going to be new to motorcycling and on a restricted licence.
The difference in HP works out at just under 8% :( Could be an ECU re-flash on the cards... :)

The guy who bought my CBR300 was on a Scorpio 225 as well. He came back from the test ride mightily impressed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kiwi Rider,

No doubt the CBR300R is a great upgrade from the good old Scorpio. Taking a typical rider weight into account its probably a 50% increase in kW/kg which is enough to put a smile on any dial :)

I'm also sure a "fix" for the ECU power constraint isn't too far away for those with full licenses, having access to the full 49hp will no doubt be very noticeable in every day riding- it's similar to the bump up in power when the CBR250R went to the CBR300R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts