Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone POSITIVELY confirm whether or not the 2018 Ninja 400 has a chipped key, or a key that is in some way paired to the ECU/BIKE, etc?

I have recently have my keys lost by my family members, and the dealership has told me that the keys are chipped and only one guy in LA can make them and that guy says he has NEVER done chipped keys.

So I'm basically one ****** monkey.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can anyone POSITIVELY confirm whether or not the 2018 Ninja 400 has a chipped key, or a key that is in some way paired to the ECU/BIKE, etc?

I have recently have my keys lost by my family members, and the dealership has told me that the keys are chipped and only one guy in LA can make them and that guy says he has NEVER done chipped keys.

Kawasaki should have sent you a card in the mail with the key code. I believe you can request new keys from Kawasaki directly.

http://www.kawasakikeys.com/faq.php?cID=1

·
Registered
656 Posts

You should have a tag with your purchase docs and a spare key for your bike cause it came with two keys....

If they didn't give you a second key then thay still have it, but your key tag would still be with your purchase docs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think there's any chip? I duplicated a few spares, and they just use blank keys with Kawasaki key case. It was cheaper than usual. No problem with the keys so far for a month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: The 2018 Ninja 400 does NOT use chipped keys.
It's just a plain old key.
Fortunately, I had my key code. If you do, you can have your dealership go to Kawasaki Keys, which is a dealer only website, and order you a new pre-cut, ready to use, key that will fit all three locks.

BUT, if you don't have your key code, good luck, because all three locks are slightly different, so if you find a locksmith that is familiar with motorcycle keys, it is important that he takes an impression of ALL THREE LOCKS.
According to the guy at the dealership, all three locks are slightly different in some way, and if the locksmith only takes an impression of your ignition, then the key will open work in the ignition but not in the gas tank or seat lock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts