Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2021 N400 Teal (non-abs)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Sorry if duplicate topic, but I'm interested in some input about kerosene and chain cleaning. I bought the Motul Clean and Lube kit for ~40 bucks and it worked great. But, I want to keep up with my cleaning more often. Not sure how long these 2 cans will last. Now I just bought this gallon of kerosene from Walmart ($10). I saw someone recommended to apply with a rag, as to not go past the O-ring seals. Sounds promising. As far as I understand, some people online say kerosene can ruin sealed chains. Not sure what to think about these claims. I have a 2021 model, and the manual just says to use a "chain cleaner", if I read correctly. Was hoping my manual would say kerosene:LOL:. Thanks for reading - I will delete post if I'm being stupid;)

Attachments

Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
I use the kerosene exclusively as it smells good and does an excellent job if removing the grease.

I use a spray bottle on the chain while rotating the rear tire letting it soak in.
Then the brush and finally a microfiber towel to soak up the residue for some good Motul chain lube.

Kerosene will not destroy oring chains and actually helps keep them lubed and pliable.
Like you I bought the gallon size as I use the kerosene to remove gunk from my VTR I'm restoring and it works amazing at doing so.

It's so easy to clean up too.
And yes I use cardboard to protect my wheels, floor, and surrounding area when cleaning the chain. Worked really well with any overspray hitting the cardboard and not the bike or floor.

Spray, brush, spray again, and then wipe to have a clean chain. 馃憤

Registered
I maintain my machines, but don't overly maintain, if that makes sense.
I had a riding buddy that had multiple chains for his bikes.
Old chain came off, then cleaned beyond imagination, lubed, and stored in a zip lock bag until the other chain got dirty a few hundred miles down thwe road.
I am just not OCD like that, I will spend $100 faster than spending hours and hours of time.
Kerosene casn get past the o-rings on a chain and cause more misery than joy.
YMMV.

Registered
I maintain my machines, but don't overly maintain, if that makes sense.
I had a riding buddy that had multiple chains for his bikes.
Old chain came off, then cleaned beyond imagination, lubed, and stored in a zip lock bag until the other chain got dirty a few hundred miles down thwe road.
I am just not OCD like that, I will spend $100 faster than spending hours and hours of time.
Kerosene casn get past the o-rings on a chain and cause more misery than joy.
YMMV.
I have read to not brush it into the O rings but it does really good for a wipedown
馃悏

Registered
They used too. Everyone used to recommend Kerosene because it was the best thing for cleaning chains on the planet. And then everyone woke up and decided we had to save the planet and either use orange juice or super expensive name brand aerosols that are diluted kerosene with thinners that deplete the ozone in the atmosphere. :)

Registered
Glad to share this again

this is my chain oil/cleaner. My chain is pretty dang clean all the time and this is all I use lately. Its a home made mixture equal parts of..

ATF (ATF+4)
Kerosene
Mineral spirits

here is a link to a cool site. What im mixing is called 鈥淓dsRed鈥. As the directions say this would be a good time to exclude the acetone.

Super cheap to make gallons of it at a time. Use it on your chains use it as a penetrating oil and obviously as a bore cleaner.

Registered
Glad to share this again

this is my chain oil/cleaner. My chain is pretty dang clean all the time and this is all I use lately. Its a home made mixture equal parts of..

ATF (ATF+4)
Kerosene
Mineral spirits

here is a link to a cool site. What im mixing is called 鈥淓dsRed鈥. As the directions say this would be a good time to exclude the acetone.

Super cheap to make gallons of it at a time. Use it on your chains use it as a penetrating oil and obviously as a bore cleaner.
Forgot to say that this stuff is what i use as chain cleaner AND the chain oil. I dont do anything else.

ed鈥檚 red is all iv used for years as a penetrating oil too. Saved me some money for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts