Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

Kawasushi here! I just got a 400 5 days ago and finally had some time to ride it this weekend. Only put 200+ miles on it in 2 days.

A little about me! Im in my early 30s, construction worker, have had my moto license for over 5 years but this is my first bike! I was looking at street triples but thought that was a little too much bike to be my first set of 2 wheels. When i saw the 400 i was drawn to it, and figured i could teach my 4” 10 wife to ride. Myself im 6ft and around 3 bills! Haha.

So far i love the bike, its not super uncomfortable but i do construction so my pain tolerance and physical stamina is pretty good. Wrists feel fine because i am not putting all my weight on them (use your core!) the only thing it hurts is my bum!

Anyways, love the bike, still in the break in period, how vigorously do you guys follow the break i period guidelines? Im trying to follow it to a T but a few times i had to semi hustle to not get run over! Hope to share my future updates with you guys!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kawa, congrats on your first bike. Most owners on here seem to using a pretty tough break in process, but most of them are experienced riders. A couple have noted that seat comfort isn't great, but that should improve with time spent on the bike.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hey everybody!

Kawasushi here! I just got a 400 5 days ago and finally had some time to ride it this weekend. Only put 200+ miles on it in 2 days.

A little about me! Im in my early 30s, construction worker, have had my moto license for over 5 years but this is my first bike! I was looking at street triples but thought that was a little too much bike to be my first set of 2 wheels. When i saw the 400 i was drawn to it, and figured i could teach my 4” 10 wife to ride. Myself im 6ft and around 3 bills! Haha.

So far i love the bike, its not super uncomfortable but i do construction so my pain tolerance and physical stamina is pretty good. Wrists feel fine because i am not putting all my weight on them (use your core!) the only thing it hurts is my bum!

Anyways, love the bike, still in the break in period, how vigorously do you guys follow the break i period guidelines? Im trying to follow it to a T but a few times i had to semi hustle to not get run over! Hope to share my future updates with you guys!
use all the rev ranges and gears, never stay in a single rev range for to long, forst 100km i wouldnt go over 4k rpm but would make sure to use all gears ect, ride the bike for at least 30 mins then let cool down and repeat, when running bike first let idle for couple of minutes to heat up, after first 100km still try and stay in the 4k rpm range as max but now and then go over, so maybe in a 20 minute ride hit the 6k rpm limit a couple times ect then when at 700km do the same but with 8k rpm, thats my method ect but everyone's different so do as you please, oil change at 900km i recommended no earlier or much later, engine will really smoothen out and remove all vibes around 1200km

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, ive mostly kept it at 4k and yea i have gone through all the gears. My only concern is 1st and 6th gear sometimes dont want to work? Should i be worried? I have had it not want to deop down to first from 2nd and not drop into 1st from N. Ive also had it not want to shift into 6th twice. Will these things work themselves out? I was thinking the bikes “always find neutral” thing was freaking out, and for the 6th i was thinking the bike wanted more rpms. Ive only botched one or two shifts so far.

And you said km, haha. This stupid american uses Mi. But im assuming you said 600Mi oil change, dont miss it. The dealer/finance guy told me this bikes first service needed valve adjustments? I have a feeling he was bullshitting me, than again i feel i got bullshitted through the whole process. But fuckit i got a bike!

Also, is there a 1k mi service? Not gonna lie the manual was confusing when it came to showing what needs service when.

And the salesman told me the bike doesnt come with a toolkit? Ive read aomewhere else that it does?

Happy riding guys! Cant wait to start adding to the bike, bigger windscreen might be my first mod, although at 6ft tall and 50mph it really was not that bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bike does come with a tool kit. You remove the rear seat, and there is a pull cord. Pull that and your seat will come off. In there you will find the tool kit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome Kawasushi, I still need my bike delivered but I believe there should be a toolkit until the seat or pillion. Have you checked? Also if you get a chance, post your OTD price in the other thread.

BTW, what part of the US do you live?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Welcome Chap, the tool kit is pure rubbish in quality. If you plan on working on your bike get yourself some quality spanners not made from cheese metal. :D
The 'C' spanner in there is handy for adjusting the rear suspension preload though (have a read of manual).
I'm not going to offer any break in advice as the last time I did it was suggested my opinion was formed from a low level of intellect. :rolleyes:
I'm going to quote my dealer directly though regarding this aspect. " I just ride my bikes how I plan to in the future", End quote.
Enjoy the new mount! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked under the passenger seat but not the main seat.

I live in floriduhhhh (haha i hate this place, but a1a has some nice riding roads!) south florida to be exact.

Otd? I am pretty sure im paying way more than the aggreed upon price, with tax tag and title + dealer fee 6.5? Or 6.8? I probably ahould have shopped around. Also, they sold me on gps, first 3 years maintanence (again, they told me in the first 600 or 1000 mi there is a valve adjustment? Im not so sure about that), extended warranty, and lifetime batterys for the bike as long as i own it. Otd with all that? Over 10.

They kinda took advantage of me because im not aware of bike maintenance and they told me buying it with the purchase of the bike its half the price than i would pay bringing it in and paying per visit. Im sure even if it is the interest will make up for it or else they would not be selling it. W/ interest and EVERYTHING factored in im around 12k. Thats every cent of everything i have stated.

Who knows matbe i got a good deal butttt i doubt it, the local ford dealer ****** me on my car, most south fla buisnesses are about how much they can **** you. :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I am not a new rider (32+ years riding), but I am 6' and 265 lbs. I rode mine for the first time today. I think you will have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

I live in floriduhhhh (haha i hate this place, but a1a has some nice riding roads!) south florida to be exact.

Otd? I am pretty sure im paying way more than the aggreed upon price, with tax tag and title + dealer fee 6.5? Or 6.8? I probably ahould have shopped around. Also, they sold me on gps, first 3 years maintanence (again, they told me in the first 600 or 1000 mi there is a valve adjustment? Im not so sure about that), extended warranty, and lifetime batterys for the bike as long as i own it. Otd with all that? Over 10.

They kinda took advantage of me because im not aware of bike maintenance and they told me buying it with the purchase of the bike its half the price than i would pay bringing it in and paying per visit. Im sure even if it is the interest will make up for it or else they would not be selling it. W/ interest and EVERYTHING factored in im around 12k. Thats every cent of everything i have stated.

Who knows matbe i got a good deal butttt i doubt it, the local ford dealer ****** me on my car, most south fla buisnesses are about how much they can **** you. :(
There is no valve clearance check and adjustment (if required) until 42,000 km (26,250 miles).
This is what it says on page 103 of my manual but mine is for this part of the world, may be on a different page in yours.
I'm surprised at the long interval, my CBR300 was at 24,000km (16K miles). Kawasaki are obviously confident it doesn't require it. Saving for us!

Either way your dealer is quoting you wrong info about the 600/1000 mile check.
Yes it sounds like your good nature may have been taken advantage of slightly there. Whats the GPS thing?

·
Registered
423 Posts

I paid 6178 OTD for the bike in NY. The dealer added a 2 year extended warranty (KPP) for free asked me if I wanted the tire/rim protection for $799 and I said no on that. I'm not sure how much a 3 year extended warranty, lifetime batteries, and GPS run but I do think they took advantage of a new rider and provided you miss information. I'm a new rider also and did not have the best experience based on the dealers I visited. I agree some dealers just want the sale and don't care about customers. If you can, I would try to find a better dealer in your area for future maintenance, etc....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid 6178 OTD for the bike in NY. The dealer added a 2 year extended warranty (KPP) for free asked me if I wanted the tire/rim protection for $799 and I said no on that. I'm not sure how much a 3 year extended warranty, lifetime batteries, and GPS run but I do think they took advantage of a new rider and provided you miss information. I'm a new rider also and did not have the best experience based on the dealers I visited. I agree some dealers just want the sale and don't care about customers. If you can, I would try to find a better dealer in your area for future maintenance, etc....
Ha, i got butt fd. Hahaha

The gps is called fin. If my bike gets touched, my phone alerts me. I also have gps on it i can open the app and track the bike. Has a couple other features as well. I wish it could shut the bike off remotely.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ha, i got butt fd. Hahaha

The gps is called fin. If my bike gets touched, my phone alerts me. I also have gps on it i can open the app and track the bike. Has a couple other features as well. I wish it could shut the bike off remotely.
The GPS sounds pretty cool. So it's like some tracking chip/device right and not an actual GPS navigation device?

As long as you are happy with your motorcycle and purchases, it's all good. I'm learning a lot from everyone on this forum. Based on my experience this is a fantastic community of enthusiasts, new & experienced riders, and everyone in between. I'm learning a lot. Everyone here is super friendly and very helpful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The GPS sounds pretty cool. So it's like some tracking chip/device right and not an actual GPS navigation device?

As long as you are happy with your motorcycle and purchases, it's all good. I'm learning a lot from everyone on this forum. Based on my experience this is a fantastic community of enthusiasts, new & experienced riders, and everyone in between. I'm learning a lot. Everyone here is super friendly and very helpful.
Yeah pretty much a tracker not a navigational device.

Yeah everyone here so far seems cool!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had no idea that gps feature was something you could get at the dealership. Would definitely give new owners some piece of mind. I'm assuming that's something that can be bought through aftermarket as well?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had no idea that gps feature was something you could get at the dealership. Would definitely give new owners some piece of mind. I'm assuming that's something that can be bought through aftermarket as well?
Yes, FIN gps security.

I still keep my bike in the house, and if i go anywhere thats not someone elses well secured area i dont plan on getting off it for more than 5 minutes lol.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, FIN gps security.

I still keep my bike in the house, and if i go anywhere thats not someone elses well secured area i dont plan on getting off it for more than 5 minutes lol.
Are there more instances of stolen motorcycles in Florida or just being extra careful?

·
Registered
423 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts