Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess the release of this bike is really up in the air now, wherever it was supposed to be released. Still haven’t seen any real numbers, HP or wet weight. The video I saw of it on the track looked like 100mph in 6th gear close to redline. That can’t be right, my 2011 250 can do that. 🤔🤔🤔
He shifted from 5th to 6th at redline - 160KPH and the video cut away almost immediately after. A light on the dash started blinking right after the shift (odd if it’s the rev limiter, since it was after). The N400 does 181KPH in 5th gear (~13MPH faster); without a tall 6th (maybe even with it) I’m guessing top speed will be around 115.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was part of the discussion surrounding this and bringing it into little old NZ... It's more of a bike to have 'flashbikes in time' to what used to be the screaming 250s...

It's on the cards, but Kawasaki needed to asses feasibility of cost to bring to NZ. Can say the majority of the comments on the survey that was pushed out to Kiwi riders was the price point - and the fact it won't be "LAMS". Newbie bikers not understanding the benefit of a what essentially is a baby 636, right down to it's quick shift abilities.

@KiwiBiker - the price point is going to be a touch more than what you noted at $14k, so that does rule a lot of people out of the market for what some would see as a pointless bike.

From someone who has tracked, and heavily, the Ninja 400 and now recently the ZX6R, I can see the point and benefits in the 25R, because I know how much more fun it is to whip around a tight corner on the 400 than it is on the 636. And to have a hybrid combination of them seems like a dream come true to me, but we have to be realistic here, how many people are actually going to track it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's predominately a hot 250 for the Asian market as big bikes cost a huge amount there due to higher import duties. So the small capacity market there hums. The polar opposite of the USA basically Lol. Hence it will be manufactured in Indonesia.

The big question is whether it gets global release. My guess is no as it will look out of place along side the N400, probably cost a little more and have slightly better performance figures but it will be all at the high end of the rev range. Which is part of it's appeal. :biggrin:
Here's a track version that Kawasaki is producing. Dripping in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I was part of the discussion surrounding this and bringing it into little old NZ... It's more of a bike to have 'flashbikes in time' to what used to be the screaming 250s...

It's on the cards, but Kawasaki needed to asses feasibility of cost to bring to NZ. Can say the majority of the comments on the survey that was pushed out to Kiwi riders was the price point - and the fact it won't be "LAMS". Newbie bikers not understanding the benefit of a what essentially is a baby 636, right down to it's quick shift abilities.

@KiwiBiker - the price point is going to be a touch more than what you noted at $14k, so that does rule a lot of people out of the market for what some would see as a pointless bike.

From someone who has tracked, and heavily, the Ninja 400 and now recently the ZX6R, I can see the point and benefits in the 25R, because I know how much more fun it is to whip around a tight corner on the 400 than it is on the 636. And to have a hybrid combination of them seems like a dream come true to me, but we have to be realistic here, how many people are actually going to track it?
It was good that kawi NZ at least asked for expressions of interest. I was surprised at the price point given it's not spec'd as highly as the ZX-6R. Sort of between the N400 and the ZX-6R. But it does make the Ninja 400 look like a screaming bargain and all those LAMS bike wanters may as well go and buy one of those. I dont think they got the concept behind the ZX-25R. I think they were thinking it would be like an upgrade of the old twin cylinder Ninja 250 which was a LAMS bike.

As much as I'm all for this bike I dont think there would be many buyers for it here at 15 or 16K NZD. And if you did invest that much in one would you risk taking it to the track and putting it on its side? Probably not! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think a N400 would cost to set up for racing? Ohlin forks and shock, full exhaust/dyno, engine upgrades, clutch upgrades, fairings, clip ons, rear sets etc etc. Maybe not such a bad price to buy this 250 at that price as long as it was 100% wish race ready....maybe?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think a N400 would cost to set up for racing? Ohlin forks and shock, full exhaust/dyno, engine upgrades, clutch upgrades, fairings, clip ons, rear sets etc etc. Maybe not such a bad price to buy this 250 at that price as long as it was 100% wish race ready....maybe?
That's the thing, because looking at the photos and clips of the ZX-25R it looks like the suspension is budget non adjustable stuff. Which is disappointing considering the price point. For comparison sake the N400 is on sale here at the moment for $8K NZD on a promo. If the ZX-25R is going to come in at 16K ish then it's a no brainer.
Currently there's no race class here for 250 fours so it would be an anomaly and it's unlikely enough people would buy the bike to race it and push for a class to be created. Generally race classes are created around cheap affordable bikes like the Hyosung 250 etc.
Dont want to sound like a Debbie downer here though, I'm stoked Kawasaki has had the balls to put out something more racey than the competition. If I had the spare coin I'd put my name down for one in a flash. But I've just bought a new SV so...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here is a link to buy a motoamerica junior cup spec build. Comes out to $15k. Of course if you know how to work on your bike and don't buy the most expensive parts and shop for deals. You can easily build one for 3-4k less than that. I'm not a professional racer, so no point in spending that much. I club race my bike and have spent just over $8K, including bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
So the ZX-25R is going to be roughly $10k out the door US. Double that of a N400. You could easily be $16-18k, and have no class. As much as I love the concept, I still think a kitted out N400 would be a more fun bike and cheaper. I do like the idea though. Thanks Debbie! 😂

·
Registered
704 Posts
So the ZX-25R is going to be roughly $10k out the door US. Double that of a N400. You could easily be $16-18k, and have no class. As much as I love the concept, I still think a kitted out N400 would be a more fun bike and cheaper. I do like the idea though. Thanks Debbie! 😂
IMO, it would have to have at least 70hp and weigh around 340lbs to be worth 10/k. Anything less than that, I would say 7 to 8/k range. The ZX 6R is going for 9/k! The 400 is a
bargain, you can get a used one for around 4/k and throw around 3/k in goodies and have a total track beast!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
IMO, it would have to have at least 70hp and weigh around 340lbs to be worth 10/k. Anything less than that, I would say 7 to 8/k range. The ZX 6R is going for 9/k! The 400 is a
bargain, you can get a used one for around 4/k and throw around 3/k in goodies and have a total track beast!
I think perhaps Atomic converted the NZ price to US dollars which never works out properly as your bikes are actually cheaper than ours in real terms.
The ZX-6R is 20K here so if the ZX25-R comes in at 16K then it's still a cheaper bike but not by as much as you'd expect/hope for.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Shooting flames is not good, looks kool. My guess is the bike is running too lean. My 400 was shooting out blue flames when I installed the full exhaust system. I had a shop do a custom dyno tune and no more blue flames, bike runs much smoother. That 250 sounds awesome with that Yosh. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

·
Registered
501 Posts
I never got the whole backfiring thrill. Akin to.. why would somebody pay $20K for a new HD.. then immediately replace the full exhaust system so it's obnoxiously loud.. but balk at paying their dealer's service department $250 to retune it and actually get the bike to run properly without backfiring every time you roll off the throttle? Each to his/her own I guess. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I never got the whole backfiring thrill. Akin to.. why would somebody pay $20K for a new HD.. then immediately replace the full exhaust system so it's obnoxiously loud.. but balk at paying their dealer's service department $250 to retune it and actually get the bike to run properly without backfiring every time you roll off the throttle? Each to his/her own I guess. :confused:
I'm not sure for a HD, but for the N400, a full exhaust with dyno tune/flashed ECU is a substantial performance upgrade. Kawasaki sends the bike out like this because they have to sell it to meet very tight emissions standards. The fuel map is super lean and the engine runs on the borderline of hot but it passes emissions and runs adequately. Even if I wasn't going to put on a performance exhaust, I would flash the ECU to run properly and a side benefit would be more HP. I am sure the HDs are the same, strangled motors to be able to pass emissions.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
... The fuel map is super lean and the engine runs on the borderline of hot but it passes emissions and runs adequately.
This is the curse of the modern day motorcycle purchase for sure. You've pretty much got to set aside extra cash when buying a new bike now so you can replace the heavy lump of a stock can that's stuffed full of catalytic converters and noise suppressing material AND then get the bike re-tuned to match the new system so you can finally have the bike running and sounding as it should have in the first place.
Ps. Anyone after a brand new SV650 stock exhaust perhaps??

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
This is the curse of the modern day motorcycle purchase for sure. You've pretty much got to set aside extra cash when buying a new bike now so you can replace the heavy lump of a stock can that's stuffed full of catalytic converters and noise suppressing material AND then get the bike re-tuned to match the new system so you can finally have the bike running and sounding as it should have in the first place.
Ps. Anyone after a brand new SV650 stock exhaust perhaps??
Pictures? (of the bike....not the exhaust) 😂

121 - 139 of 139 Posts