Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Attached are few photos of the Kawasaki rear seat cowl that has been on backorder for 3 1/2 months. I just got it two days ago. It cost about $160.00, which is a little over priced, but I figured that the paint would match, and it would fit the bike correctly. Well at least the paint match's. If you look at the photos, you will see that the rear rubber cushions do not contact the frame, and consequentially the cowl flops all over the place. I winged it, and greased the rubber cushions and installed it, so i could get an idea where the cushions contacted the frame. Once I had a mark, I scribed a circle using a dime. Then I cleaned off the grease and 3M weather-stripping cemented a couple of thick washer to the frame. I let the washers dry and harden until this morning, and retried the cowl on the frame. It's not perfect, but it's pretty snug, and the air gap is the same all round it.
BUT, why should I have to re-engineer a Kawasaki OEM accessory, after paying $160.00 for a $10.00 piece of ABS plastic???
BMHS
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Steering part
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
599 Posts
Guys,
Attached are few photos of the Kawasaki rear seat cowl that has been on backorder for 3 1/2 months. I just got it two days ago. It cost about $160.00, which is a little over priced, but I figured that the paint would match, and it would fit the bike correctly. Well at least the paint match's. If you look at the photos, you will see that the rear rubber cushions do not contact the frame, and consequentially the cowl flops all over the place. I winged it, and greased the rubber cushions and installed it, so i could get an idea where the cushions contacted the frame. Once I had a mark, I scribed a circle using a dime. Then I cleaned off the grease and 3M weather-stripping cemented a couple of thick washer to the frame. I let the washers dry and harden until this morning, and retried the cowl on the frame. It's not perfect, but it's pretty snug, and the air gap is the same all round it.
BUT, why should I have to re-engineer a Kawasaki OEM accessory, after paying $160.00 for a $10.00 piece of ABS plastic???
BMHS
View attachment 21089 View attachment 21090 View attachment 21091
You sure this was OEM, not Ali express? 22.39US $ 17% OFF|Rear Seat Cover Cowl Pillion For Kawasaki Ninja 400 Z400 2018 2019 2020 Ninja400 ABS/KRT Motorcycle Tail Case Green Fairing|Covers & Ornamental Mouldings| - AliExpress

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
127 Posts
Guys,
BMHS
View attachment 21089 View attachment 21090 View attachment 21091
Looks exactly like the Chinese unit I've been looking at on ebay for $36. 🤷🤦
I still haven't decided on the purchase as of yet.

It does look good on your bike though with a perfect paint match. 👍

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think I had the same problem as you with the sport rear cowl. I did get mines from China 🇨🇳 and the color was way off. Anyway, you have too push down on the rear of the cowl so it catches the rubber piece and it should be snug.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yeah I bought the Chinese about 2 years or so back and its almost identical to that, in how its made and engineered.
It has some flop to it as well.

Also the color on Chinese ones is close, but not perfect. Thankfully I got black, but even that is not a perfect match

1 - 7 of 7 Posts