Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

Problem
In a short story my ABS is on all the time, solid. It worked perfectly some days ago and suddenly wouldn't turn off when i started riding.

What I have tried
I have tried the different solutions found on the forum, and it has not been resolved. Thats why I am starting a new post.
  • Tried cleaning both sensor and abs-ring.
  • Trying to do the reset code driving method
  • Charge the battery (was nearly full)
  • Disconnect the battery (read that this wouldn't clear the codes though)
  • Compare front ABS and rear ABS to watch the distance to the ABS-ring, the rear seemed a touch closer.
  • Looking at the fuses, all are good.

Changed tire
I changed my rear tire, and i have ridden about 120 miles with the ABS light off and all seeming normal. So I feel it could be something related to that, but its a bit weird that I have driven 120 miles without the light being on.

Stuff to note
  • Speedometer working totally fine. But is starting to register at higher speeds such as 3 mph. (This could something I am just aware of now, i haven't though about it earlier)
  • When you turn the key to the "on" position you hear a initiating process, maybe fuel pump or something, this sound does not "initiate" each time I turn the key to the "on" position.
  • I usually store my back inside a dry garage, but the last days it has been outside being exposed to rain, warm weather and large amounts of pollen.

Reason why I am asking the forum
So I come from Norway, where there are few Kawasaki certified workshops and we have long waiting time for repairs, its about 3-4 weeks. I hope to get a quick workshop time for a diagnosis, so I could repair it myself. But the bike is still under warranty, and repairing it myself could void that. (5 years warranty in norway)
I hope that someone has had a similar problem, and any suggestions are very much appreciated.

PS! Sorry for my bad English, as you may understand its not my native language.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
228 Posts
You'll want to search out the PDF service manual here on the forum from freerider.

Then you can coax an ABS code from the self diagnosis procedure and get more info.

The most relevant sections of the manual (more details in the PDF, section 12) are below:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rich,

Thanks you for your reply! The code was as following:

1 -9 - 4 - 3 (sequence of on/off).
I guess this could be split in two different codes:

Code 19
Code 43

I guess I have to check with the dealership to get an appointment at their workshop.
Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hi. Check the condition of the wiring to the wheel sensors. This wiring is one of the most exposed pieces of the ABS system and prone to damage. Particularly the rear sensor wiring as you say the ABS light went off after you changed your rear tyre so possibly there is a break in the wiring and when its in a certain position it has contact and not in other positions. In the process of removing and re-fitting the rear wheel you may have bumped the wiring.

Yes its the fuel pump priming the system you can hear when you turn the key on, nothing to do with the ABS system. Likewise changing your rear tyre for another.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
115 Posts
If the speedometer works i believe it can be related to the front abs sensor, if the front wire breaks (code 43) you will have speedometer but the ABS light will stay on, check the wiring.

I believe something like this happened to you, the wire to the abs connector broke, check this thread and the image below:

This is code 19:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a coincidence!
just at the workshop and he was using the diagnosis tool and saw that the code 19 was old and 43 is a new code. While he was inspecting the veichle i checked the cable mentioned.
And it was totally snapped of. I have no idea why Kawasaki has used such a fragile cable. The bike is mostly stored inside so corrosion/rust should be minimal.

They are now trying to solder it on, since changing the cable would be a time consuming job.

Thanks for the help! Don’t know if the mechanic would have seen it so fast, if I hadn’t mentioned it.

PS! Crossing my fingers that the warranty cover this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

The mechanics had some time to spare and tried to solder it on. But the ABS lamp was still on, its kinda strange that it wouldn't turn off when its straight soldered.

Anyhow;
They have to order a whole new wire kit/assembly for the bike, and in the meanwhile I have to ride without ABS. (A soldering the sensor directly to the bike was just a temporary fix, if it had worked)
It seems kind of excessive that they have to change the whole wire harness, but thats how its designed.

Its all covered by the warranty and have nothing to do with my change of the rear wheel.

I just hope that the new connection will last more than 2 years. And here in norway motorcycle riding are seasonal and a we have 5-6 months each year which is warm enough to ride. So 1 year of use, and the connections is broken. The bike has also only been ridden 8000 kilometers - 5000 miles.

Again, thank you guys for all the answers! It really helped to narrow down what the problem could be. And now I also have the service manual, thanks to Rich T.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, if you still have speed display, it means that your rear wheel ABS is normal;
It can be confirmed that the front ABS sensing line is broken. You can try to use a voltmeter to check whether the ABS circuit of the front wheel is normal.
Check whether the circuit plug is in poor contact. If it is damaged, you can try to replace part of the circuit to ensure that the sensor circuit is unobstructed, and it can return to work. Or you can buy a new ABS sensor wire, which costs about $70.
It's better to clear the fault code before doing this, so as to confirm whether you can repair the fault correctly. If you do not clear the fault code, it will continue to display the fault code, so that you cannot judge whether it has returned to normal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is also a procedure for clearing the abs light -- I assume they did that.

Replacing the whole harness seems a bit risky -- hopefully they are very good at what they do!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update:

The mechanics had some time to spare and tried to solder it on. But the ABS lamp was still on, its kinda strange that it wouldn't turn off when its straight soldered.

Anyhow;
They have to order a whole new wire kit/assembly for the bike, and in the meanwhile I have to ride without ABS. (A soldering the sensor directly to the bike was just a temporary fix, if it had worked)
It seems kind of excessive that they have to change the whole wire harness, but thats how its designed.

Its all covered by the warranty and have nothing to do with my change of the rear wheel.

I just hope that the new connection will last more than 2 years. And here in norway motorcycle riding are seasonal and a we have 5-6 months each year which is warm enough to ride. So 1 year of use, and the connections is broken. The bike has also only been ridden 8000 kilometers - 5000 miles.

Again, thank you guys for all the answers! It really helped to narrow down what the problem could be. And now I also have the service manual, thanks to Rich T.
I'm glad you found the cause of the fault. This problem is very common in this car. If the circuit is broken, you can repair it by welding. If the original sensor is damaged, you can only replace it with a new ABS circuit. It only needs to replace part of the circuit of the front wheel, and it doesn't need to replace a lot.
1623251751486.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad you found the cause of the fault. This problem is very common in this car. If the circuit is broken, you can repair it by welding. If the original sensor is damaged, you can only
View attachment 18964
replace it with a new ABS circuit. It only needs to replace part of the circuit of the front wheel, and it doesn't need to replace a lot.

Its the connector before the ABS sensor and cable. The ABS "circuit" should be okay.
I think the professional kawasaki mechanics know what they are doing :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
You're not the first person to have a problem with that connector. ABS Main Harness (Front) broke - advice?

Since it's under warranty and being handled by the dealer, might as well let them replace whatever's broken with new Kaw parts. If you had to fix it yourself, you should be able to solder a new terminal on the end of the wire and reinsert it into the plug, to avoid having to replace the whole harness.

Reactions: KEL

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, this is a formal Kawa recall for my 2018. Check the Kawa site to see if your bike is affected.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can anyone share the text of the recall? When I look up my bike, I just see there are no recalls. I'm curious to know what it says! Thanks!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Can anyone share the text of the recall? When I look up my bike, I just see there are no recalls. I'm curious to know what it says! Thanks!
This is what I found for my 2018 ABS:

"The following recall info was found for your vehicle . If action is required, please contact your kawa dealer for recall repair info.

EX400 GJF-MC20-02-NINJA400 Main Harness Water Intrusion - Recall.

EX400GJF-MC20-03-NINJA400 ABS Front Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Repair - Recall.

Reactions: Rich T

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
115 Posts
@Watcher905 Is that recall world wide? Mine hasn't broken yet but i fear it will because of the angle the wires are at when i turn the handlebars fully to the left.

·
Registered
849 Posts
@Watcher905 Is that recall world wide? Mine hasn't broken yet but i fear it will because of the angle the wires are at when i turn the handlebars fully to the left.
It's certainly possible. Unless, they fixed it for the later models. Or, Kawasaki may be issuing these recalls in phases starting with the earliest models so as to keep the parts supply chain from running out exponentially. Who knows, I don't even know what the exact fix is for the front ABS sensor wire harness; that would be a nightmare to replace the entire wire harness. Or it may be a simple cut, splice, jump type for fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts