Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a fitment search on the K-tech site and they have this aftermarket rear shock listed as suitable for the N400:
Shock Absorber -Razor-R | Shock Absorber -Razor-R - Shock Absorbers - Rear Suspension - Road
Fully adjustable and you get to chose your spring rate.

And this fork cartridge kit:
Front Fork Cartridge 20IDS | Front Fork Cartridge 20IDS
Again, you get to chose what spring rate they come with.

K-tech is quality kit with a proven record. Accordingly though it's not cheap to purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done a couple of these. At least K-Tech orients the Comp piston the right way unlike some other outfits that try to use a rebound biased piston in reverse and wonder why it can't handle real-world street flows...

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
K Tech Fork Springs

Just a head’s up. If you order these K Tech Fork Springs, be sure your order shows “quantity 2”...

Needless to say, I have to wait a few more days to install my spring(S)...

The title is a little misleading since it says Spring(s) and shows 2. I thought I got a helluva deal at the time. Guess I shoulda read the fine print...LOL

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/k-tech-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-fork-springs/

C4F33D26-6845-4024-A852-838DCB9097D6.jpg

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Also I should add that I ordered the .90’s and I weigh 190 without gear. I’ll be sure to post up my results after install and a nice spirited ride out here in the twisty Bay Area backroads...

I may even post a how to if anyone’s interested. But I figure it’s a pretty straight forward install. I’m gonna leave the stock fork oil in since the bike is so new. I’ll be sure to measure the level...

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a head’s up. If you order these K Tech Fork Springs, be sure your order shows “quantity 2”...

Needless to say, I have to wait a few more days to install my spring(S)...

The title is a little misleading since it says Spring(s) and shows 2. I thought I got a helluva deal at the time. Guess I shoulda read the fine print...LOL

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/k-tech-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-fork-springs/

View attachment 4077
Thanks for the heads up, that's the first time I have heard of them being sold separately. Why would they do that other than trying to get a few more sales by sounding cheap.
It's not like you lose or break a fork spring regularly eh.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Xmas present to myself

You've probably heard me muttering a bit about the rear shock in my road reports. Although the spring rate is pretty good for my weight and if I leave it on preload setting #2 then all the sag figures are within ball park recommendations, but I feel there is room for improvement in the feel of the stroke action and damping. I want to have the ability to dial in the compression and rebound damping and also adjust the overall length of the shock to change the bikes geometry and turn in.

There's a lot of good aftermarket shock manufacturers but I've gone with K-tech as they have a good name for making quality products and being British they are good value for money post Brexit. One of my riding buddies is running K-tech front and rear on his MT-07 and it's a sweet set up.

Not sure if I will receive it before Xmas as it may need to come from the UK depending on stock levels. Details below:

https://store.ktechsuspension.com/shock-absorber-razor-r-14025.html

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You've probably heard me muttering a bit about the rear shock in my road reports. Although the spring rate is pretty good for my weight and if I leave it on preload setting #2 then all the sag figures are within ball park recommendations, but I feel there is room for improvement in the feel of the stroke action and damping. I want to have the ability to dial in the compression and rebound damping and also adjust the overall length of the shock to change the bikes geometry and turn in.

There's a lot of good aftermarket shock manufacturers but I've gone with K-tech as they have a good name for making quality products and being British they are good value for money post Brexit. One of my riding buddies is running K-tech front and rear on his MT-07 and it's a sweet set up.

Not sure if I will receive it before Xmas as it may need to come from the UK depending on stock levels. Details below:

https://store.ktechsuspension.com/shock-absorber-razor-r-14025.html
There used to be one on ebay for $525 or best offer, new in box.
They had a coupon at the time and I was going to use it, and try to get it for around $400, because with the coupon it was like $450.

Which would have been a steal....I am trying not to go crazy on this bike just using it for street and occasional track day...so I passed on it and hoping the stock suspension will be good enough for me at just under 140 on up to 150 lbs when I put on weight. Going to add fluid and up the W some on the forks.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There used to be one on ebay for $525 or best offer, new in box.
They had a coupon at the time and I was going to use it, and try to get it for around $400, because with the coupon it was like $450.

Which would have been a steal....I am trying not to go crazy on this bike just using it for street and occasional track day...so I passed on it and hoping the stock suspension will be good enough for me at just under 140 on up to 150 lbs when I put on weight. Going to add fluid and up the W some on the forks.
That is a great price for a Razor-R. You have to be careful though as K-tech also make a cheaper Razor-R Lite now. They introduced it last year as a budget alternative for bikes like ours. The main differences are that it doesn't have a remote reservoir for the nitrogen and it doesn't have any facility for adjusting compression damping. Shocks with an internal reservoir are prone to heating up the nitrogen as the shock works.

https://store.ktechsuspension.com/shock-absorber-razor-r-lite-13847.html

I hear ya on the 'not going crazy front'. It's easy to over-capitalize on these budget bikes. Most of these suspension parts cost more than a high end slip on.
I've got a riding buddy who bought a MT-09 Yammie new and then dropped $4K on Bitubo suspension front and rear! Great if you've got the spare coin I guess.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's arrived!

Two months later... after being rowed here across the oceans from England it would seem, I finally have it.

But anyways it looks good and tonight after work I measured up the top and bottom mount points on the bike to check the shock is the same widths. They are so it should be an easy swap out tomorrow.
I'm hoping the reservoir will bolt into the vacant threaded holes on the LH side of the bike where my pillion peg bracket used to be.

P1000692.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Christmas in February! I'm interested in your thoughts after riding with it especially since you are on the lower end of the ratings. I'm sure it will also boost confidence knowing what's back there. My main issues with the suspension are with the front, but this might just open my eyes to a better/safer cornering. The other day I accidentally leaned over too far and scrapped my foot post curb feeler. The back end was a bit wobbly and my first thoughts where to increase stiffness, maybe you're KTeck would have handled it better.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, the K-Tech's are made to order. Took 4 weeks for mine to arrive. Interestingly, they recommend a 10000 mile service interval.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Shock fitted & tested

OK so the shocks in and looks very sexy against the black colour of my bike. One mans biased opinion of course lol.

I weighed both shocks as a matter of interest and the K-tech is only 100 grams heavier.

The first thing I had to do was jack up the RH side of the bike to get the rear wheel off the ground by using a trolley jack under the RH footpeg mount. Rear stands on spools dont work for this job as it still loads the shock up via the swing arm

P1000697.JPG

Once you've got the weight off whip out the rear wheel to give you more room and vision. Then it's just a matter of taking out the top and bottom mount bolts and removing the OEM shock. The K-Tech comes set to the exact length of the OEM one so it's an easy swap. Fit the reservoir mount using the bolt holes for the LH pillion peg bracket and your done.

P1000693.JPG

P1000695.jpg

P1000696.JPG

I found the preload adjuster rings were wound too far down the thread giving a bike sag figure of only 7mm once I let it off the jack. This compares to 15mm that I had with the OEM shock set on preload position #2.
So I backed the rings off until I had 15mm of bike sag. I then got my buddy around to measure up with me on the bike. I got a rider sag measurement of 34mm, up 5mm from the old shocks 29mm. This last figure will be different for everyone depending on their own weight but 34mm is pretty ball park, esp for sports riding. Wouldnt want any less. The spring rate is listed at 95N/mm in the K-tech owners manual but I'm not familiar with N/mm I only know kg/mm.

First impressions were good: I went out for a spin on the worst road in the vicinity of my local town and while it still bounced off the real bad bumps, it didnt do it nearly as harshly as before. At the end of the day it is still a firmly sprung sports bike.
But.. it tracks way better through the bends and holds its line nicely. Very pleased with the way it keeps the rear end in line, no more wallowing when really pushed hard on undulations. And this is with a 3/4 worn rear tyre too.
On the return journey I backed off both the compression and rebound damping by three clicks each and it helped soften up the ride even more.

So it's a thumbs up from me. I'm going to do some more playing around with the damping adjusters and alter the ride height with the shock length adjuster. Will keep you posted if I find anything of interest that improves the handling.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Kiwi, thats a nice looking bit of kit, an great to see something other than Ohlins...
Who is the NZ agent for that brand.? Dare one ask what sorta level of coin in our southern pasos.?

As a side note, I rode a trade in MT 09 Yamaha last week while my ninja 400 was having her first service done, and the previous owner had set that up with a nitron rear shock, and Andreani fork internals, set up for a 80kg rider, was very nice I thought...

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kiwi, thats a nice looking bit of kit, an great to see something other than Ohlins...
Who is the NZ agent for that brand.? Dare one ask what sorta level of coin in our southern pasos.?

As a side note, I rode a trade in MT 09 Yamaha last week while my ninja 400 was having her first service done, and the previous owner had set that up with a nitron rear shock, and Andreani fork internals, set up for a 80kg rider, was very nice I thought...
This is the outfit that supply K-tech in NZ: K-Tech Australasia Ltd - About Us

It depends on what the exchange rate to the pound is like as they are £600 so around the $1200NZD mark. Through my racing connections I was able to get a discount though.

I had a ride on a different bike on the wkd too. A Triumph 675. Second time I've ridden it, a very impressive machine. The only thing I could critique it on would be that the seat is too tall and it feels a bit top heavy. Coincidentally this guy owns a MT-09 as well so that will be my next try out.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Kiwi, I learnt some things here, so what are you doing with spring changes, did they get it wrong or what.?
I got an e-mail from the guy today and he says there were only 150mm long springs listed in the K-tech catalogue for that diameter.
He thinks it may be OK but is going to make an inquiry with K-tech first.
It's only because I'm a super light weight, the standard spring would be fine for most people.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Kiwi, Is the stock spring correct for the 80-85kg range rider.?
That shock looks the business an well made, like how they got the remote unit with mounting bracket to match the rear footpeg assembly mounts.
Shall look forward to hearing how you go with setting it up and how much it changes the ride...

Its easy to forget those in the lower south, and especially the likes of yourself who live in the mountains as such, have a restricted riding season, unlike us up north here, ride all year round if one has good warm wet weather gear... Fingers crossed for a mild winter coming an some riding mate...

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kiwi, Is the stock spring correct for the 80-85kg range rider.?
That shock looks the business an well made, like how they got the remote unit with mounting bracket to match the rear footpeg assembly mounts.
Shall look forward to hearing how you go with setting it up and how much it changes the ride...

Its easy to forget those in the lower south, and especially the likes of yourself who live in the mountains as such, have a restricted riding season, unlike us up north here, ride all year round if one has good warm wet weather gear... Fingers crossed for a mild winter coming an some riding mate...
Yeah pretty much by the end of May it's all over rover but you get the odd unseasonal sunny day in winter where it's bearable to sneak in a quick blast.

The standard spring that comes with the Razor R shock is rated at 95N/m or 9.7kg/mm which would be fine for someone of that weight you mention. Trouble is I'm only 57/58kg! And I eat my fair share of pies. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts