Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I have just paid for my new Ninja 400 which I will be picking up next week. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on buying a new bike (like the Ninja 400) as a new rider.

I was originally contemplating a Ninja 300, but in my area they are about $4000 AUD, with my new Ninja 400 costing me $7,150. My insurance is cheaper for a Ninja 400 than a Ninja 300 as well ($840 for comprehensive for the year for a 400, versus about $1200 for a Ninja 300) I will need to be parking the bike outside and I live in the city so I would be worried about having an un-insured bike, but $1,200 a year for a $4k bike seemed silly. As a larger person (6ft 2, 95kg) I was pretty convinced a Ninja 300 would quickly lose its appeal and I would be looking for something with a little more oomph.

Has anyone else bought a Ninja 400 as a first bike? Am I stupid for doing this? Am I going to die as soon as I leave the driveway?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi there,

I have just paid for my new Ninja 400 which I will be picking up next week. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on buying a new bike (like the Ninja 400) as a new rider.

I was originally contemplating a Ninja 300, but in my area they are about $4000 AUD, with my new Ninja 400 costing me $7,150. My insurance is cheaper for a Ninja 400 than a Ninja 300 as well ($840 for comprehensive for the year for a 400, versus about $1200 for a Ninja 300) I will need to be parking the bike outside and I live in the city so I would be worried about having an un-insured bike, but $1,200 a year for a $4k bike seemed silly. As a larger person (6ft 2, 95kg) I was pretty convinced a Ninja 300 would quickly lose its appeal and I would be looking for something with a little more oomph.

Has anyone else bought a Ninja 400 as a first bike? Am I stupid for doing this? Am I going to die as soon as I leave the driveway?
what area you from? if Perth I would have sold you my old 300 for $2500. at 95kgs anything less than the 400 would have been the stupid part as bikes are general looked at power to weight ratios in australia. You will be fine my dude, 95kgs is a little heavy, I would suggest looking at Kiwis weight reduction guide to help you drop 10kgs of the bike itself letting it breathe a little easier. other than that enjoy the 400, a great bike all around. Also get yourself a exhaust and frame sliders as you want other drivers to hear you when they cant see you and if you're a totaly brand new rider you will most likely drop the bike so if you can get some frame sliders.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Hi there,

Probably about half the people on this forum!
So your in fine company and no you haven't done anything stupid and you wont die. Well, eventually you will of old age, but that's a given. :D

You'll find various threads on here about all aspects of the bike and ownership, use the search box function.

So welcome and enjoy your bike when you get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, this will probably a late reply to your concern. However, buying the Ninja400 is probably the best thing that you have ever done to your life. If you know how properly use the bike, it will bring your life-height to a new level. This is a good quote from someone: when you ride, you are not just breathing, but you are living. However, from my perspective, learn all of that you can to help you ride better and safer. One thing for sure; the more you ride-the more you will get better. In addition, the more you challenge yourself when riding-the more you will be better on the city street, twisty, and track. Enjoy it, have fun, and ride safe!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I loved my 400! I learned how to ride and all that but am now selling it or trading it in for a zx10r!!! The 400 is now super boring unless I throw it around a lot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I loved my 400! I learned how to ride and all that but am now selling it or trading it in for a zx10r!!! The 400 is now super boring unless I throw it around a lot.
We are not kidding when we say:

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

I've been riding for over a quarter million miles and owned several open class bikes. I will say with every confidence...

Motorcycles in the class of the zx10r take supreme skill, experience, luck and most of all restraint just to survive riding on the street. If you are screwing around, even for a second on a super-bike it will just plain up and kill you. There are no second chances with these levels of performance.

These same riders that often manage to kill themselves on superbikes would be routinely passed, and out-rite embarrassed on the track by decent Ninja 400 riders...

Best of luck to you, be safe!

·
Registered
123 Posts
We are not kidding when we say:

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

I've been riding for over a quarter million miles and owned several open class bikes. I will say with every confidence...

Motorcycles in the class of the zx10r take supreme skill, experience, luck and most of all restraint just to survive riding on the street. If you are screwing around, even for a second on a super-bike it will just plain up and kill you. There are no second chances with these levels of performance.

These same riders that often manage to kill themselves on superbikes would be routinely passed, and out-rite embarrassed on the track by decent Ninja 400 riders...

Best of luck to you, be safe!
Not true it’s fun to accelerate then stop riding fast is stupid the track is where u get hurt I’ll never be going there no point u might learn things but just ride a bike and have fun

·
Registered
744 Posts
Absolutely, what's fitting about these small bikes is they are forgiving. And that is extremely important on the streets. If I had the dough, I'd have a bike for the street and one for the track.

For example, it was the light weight of the N400 that actually kept me from veering into the oncoming lane when I made a right turn at an intersection. It was in the middle of the night and I entered the corner a bit too hot. If I was on a bigger bike, I would have been toast.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not true it’s fun to accelerate then stop riding fast is stupid the track is where u get hurt I’ll never be going there no point u might learn things but just ride a bike and have fun

That was exactly my point...

It is always the sudden stop at the end that kills you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I'm in your shoe, I would still keep the N400 around. I have the 14 zx10r for 4 years now and still went on to get myself a N400. Why? More like what other had told you. The feeling of riding that smaller bike is just more enjoyable and easy to manage for all around transportation. Not that I don't like my bigger bike, I do but I'm using it only on the weekend for mountain and twisty rides where you can open it up in some places and don't have to stop so many often at times. Moreover, it is good to show others that you have a liter bike, but you can't use up to its potential power on the city roads-legally. However, if you only buy it to use on the twisty roads, I can see your reason to upgrade. This message is only based on my experience and perspective. You are free to use your money to pursuit your happiness, but I hope this help you to make your final decision. Good luck and ride safe!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I'm in your shoe, I would still keep the N400 around. I have the 14 zx10r for 4 years now and still went on to get myself a N400. Why? More like what other had told you. The feeling of riding that smaller bike is just more enjoyable and easy to manage for all around transportation. Not that I don't like my bigger bike, I do but I'm using it only on the weekend for mountain and twisty rides where you can open it up in some places and don't have to stop so many often at times. Moreover, it is good to show others that you have a liter bike, but you can't use up to its potential power on the city roads-legally. However, if you only buy it to use on the twisty roads, I can see your reason to upgrade. This message is only based on my experience and perspective. You are free to use your money to pursuit your happiness, but I hope this help you to make your final decision. Good luck and ride safe!!
I have no roads like that except highway I just want the look and sounds guy and acceleration here and there that’s it! Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
@A1_Digst you know, it does say something when majority of the riders here giving you almost the similar advice.

You may say, hey, I'm not gonna be going 299kmph all day everyday. But there are times when our ego and stupidity overcomes our judgement, and then **** hits the fan. I had that. I knocked a side mirror off a Volvo sedan because of ego and stupidity, overtaking at a bend just because a car took over me at the last minute and I felt pissed off. But because it was a Ninja 400, it saved me from banging head on onto the car instead.

Now, most of them are giving you these advice not because of jealousy or envy whatnot, but they care for you and don't wanna let you be just another road accident statistics. But at the end of the day, we respect that it's your money, your choice. Just do remember their advice when you making your decision.

Ride safe! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
The track is actually substantially safer than the street... There are no distracted drivers, much lower chance of animals / debris, there is runoff as opposed to guardrails and trees. Oh yeah, and there's an ambulance on site to provide immediate attention if needed.

If I had the time available to get more track days in, I'd ride far less than I do on the street...

PS, since nobody is going to change your mind, enjoy your "street cred" on the bigger bike, and a little tip I haven't seen anyone mention, be VERY careful the first time you grab a handful of brake on that bike, if you treat it like the 400, you'll go right over...

·
Registered
50 Posts
@A1_Digst in all seriousness, don't die. With your level of maturity, rationalization and lack of skills you're putting yourself in a position to get seriously hurt.

You contradict yourself in each of your statements, your own worst enemy is yourself at this point. Last guy who did exactly what you did with this attitude (you're young not picking on you we all did this ****) came back to the dealership with a totaled R1M 45 minutes after he bought it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts