Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thank goodness I seen other old people here.. Hope that does not ruin the bikes image... :)

I guess I can add myself to the 50years plus group.. since I been riding off and on since 10-12 years old, on mini bikes to light cruisers.. last was restoring(word used for buying used) 1988 Honda Shadow 1100.. I got bored , complicit on cruisers.. was fun playing with it, but gave it to my son and took a leave from bikes for a bit.. in a blink of the eyes 10 years has passed.. Retired Now, this darn little Green machine was being advertised everyplace. WSSP 300 just added it in to take over the ktm 390.. umm.. anyways.. it looks so good.. whats not to like? I enjoyed Kawasaki from 100 dirt bike to 175 dual bike.. I really enjoyed the first kz650, kz1000's many years ago, I never thought of a Ninja anything..never.. back when the plastic 600's that every maker had coming out and was all the rage many years ago, I was restoring a CB750 and would grin and leave them at most lights..so there was no point to get into those things.. Speed was not my point in getting this 400, but it might be an added bonus.. at 5' 7"(174cm?) and old.. ease of use, ease of weight and those looks lead the way for me.. so.. one more time.. I convinced myself I needed a light bike for commuting to the grocery store (I totally and purposely ignored the fact there was no way of carrying stuff on it).. I ordered a tail bag, to hide my inner purpose.. I promised I wouldn't give any one a ride and will stay within the speed limit.. see, even old people lie a little bit.. and here I am.. reading what the people in the "know" are doing and grinning from ear to ear... As the young man at the Kawasaki dealership said with that wide grin "Mid-Life Crisis?"... possibly.. lol :surprise::angel::surprise:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to the site. I am 39 and always wanted a Kawasaki Ninja and not real sure how I fit in here but everybody has made me feel at home..This Ninja 400 is a fun ride

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well thank goodness I seen other old people here.. Hope that does not ruin the bikes image... :)

I guess I can add myself to the 50years plus group.. since I been riding off and on since 10-12 years old, on mini bikes to light cruisers.. last was restoring(word used for buying used) 1988 Honda Shadow 1100.. I got bored , complicit on cruisers.. was fun playing with it, but gave it to my son and took a leave from bikes for a bit.. in a blink of the eyes 10 years has passed.. Retired Now, this darn little Green machine was being advertised everyplace. WSSP 300 just added it in to take over the ktm 390.. umm.. anyways.. it looks so good.. whats not to like? I enjoyed Kawasaki from 100 dirt bike to 175 dual bike.. I really enjoyed the first kz650, kz1000's many years ago, I never thought of a Ninja anything..never.. back when the plastic 600's that every maker had coming out and was all the rage many years ago, I was restoring a CB750 and would grin and leave them at most lights..so there was no point to get into those things.. Speed was not my point in getting this 400, but it might be an added bonus.. at 5' 7"(174cm?) and old.. ease of use, ease of weight and those looks lead the way for me.. so.. one more time.. I convinced myself I needed a light bike for commuting to the grocery store (I totally and purposely ignored the fact there was no way of carrying stuff on it).. I ordered a tail bag, to hide my inner purpose.. I promised I wouldn't give any one a ride and will stay within the speed limit.. see, even old people lie a little bit.. and here I am.. reading what the people in the "know" are doing and grinning from ear to ear... As the young man at the Kawasaki dealership said with that wide grin "Mid-Life Crisis?"... possibly.. lol :surprise::angel::surprise:
Welcome! I'm 38 and have been riding for about 14 yrs. It's a fun little bike and insurance is cheap. Enjoy!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the thumbs up and the welcomes!!

Age is just a number...we all have something to relate too.. A nice FUN bike!!

Although they threw in a helmet and gloves to get her home(both better than expected) , Unfortunate for me.. I gave all my gear away and waiting on a mesh armor jacket and tail bag to arrive in the mail tomorrow.. Then I get to wait for it to quit raining for the next few days..sigh.. I do get to look at it though and blow the horn..:)

I was fortunate enough to be 50 miles away on winding roads for the purchase and although the woman said I can follow her back home.. I kinda passed her after the first 5 miles..:) What a JOY it was to be back in the saddle again! My 16 year old insides are showing through lol!!

My short frame works so nice with this bike flat footed and the weight is soooo light!!

Glad to see so many happy owners.. look forward to learn more about this great looking bike.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey who you calling old, 50s are the new 30s.

I guess I can add myself to the 50years plus group.. since I been riding off and on since 10-12 years old, on mini bikes to light cruisers.. last was restoring(word used for buying used) 1988 Honda Shadow 1100.. I got bored , complicit on cruisers.. was fun playing with it, but gave it to my son and took a leave from bikes for a bit.. in a blink of the eyes 10 years has passed.. Retired Now, this darn little Green machine was being advertised everyplace. WSSP 300 just added it in to take over the ktm 390.. umm.. anyways.. it looks so good.. whats not to like? I enjoyed Kawasaki from 100 dirt bike to 175 dual bike.. I really enjoyed the first kz650, kz1000's many years ago, I never thought of a Ninja anything..never.. back when the plastic 600's that every maker had coming out and was all the rage many years ago, I was restoring a CB750 and would grin and leave them at most lights..
Wow we have allot in common bike wise.. I had the CB750 Four in high-school, I loved that bike too...! Had dozens of two & four wheels of fun starting out like you with the famed Mini bike with the 5-hp Briggs & Stratton engine - used to cost a 15 cents to fill it with gas.. what fond memories.

Surprisingly this 4T Ninja 400 has a similar nimble feel and power of my 2S Suzuki RM400 from 1978 as I remember it, which says allot. But my favorite bike to this day was my Cherry Red Katana 600. I must admit thou with each passing day this little Ninja is growing on me more & more due to its ease of use and sharp looks.

Your only as old as you think you are..! Have fun on the forums.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ha..I wish I was still in my 50's!!! they went by to quickly....it was like "what just happened?"..

I forgot about 3 wheels and 4 wheels... The kids had a bunch of little honda 3 wheelers (note I said the kids.. but honey..its for the kids :) )

And when Yamaha came out with the 600 4 wheeler(grizzly?) I had to get one to beat my friends with their polaris's.. but they beat me in slow motion in the muck..sigh.. those was fun days.. but painful..lol

But ya know.. I had more damage done to me on 3 and 4 wheels than I ever had happen on 2... and I tore up the streets of Chicago on that KZ650 and still wonder how I lived through it all.. Hey, if this bike return fails.. I have a few grandsons that will be reaching the right age in a few years... and this seems to be a great starter bike ;-)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Welcome from new Zealand Fuby. :smile:
Lot's of internationals on here, quite a collection of different minds, ages and skill levels. Occasionally we even all agree on something!
But pretty much every one loves the bike, so good choosing and enjoy your next chapter in motorcycling.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Super Moderator....:)

I am glad to hear/read there is more than just agreement here... except for the N400 it self.. makes it more interesting to read!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Our leader @Kiwi Rider If you dont mind, very much prefers - Supreme Leader..!
I know your just joking Mr Mike but I'm actually not really one for titles. I did get one of Admin team to change my title to just 'moderator' but it seems to have somehow switched back to the more super hero sounding original now.
Kiwis are generally an understated lot by and large.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I guess I can add myself to the 50years plus group..
Welcome to the forum. I'm myself am in the 60 years plus group but not as experienced with motorbikes as you (my experience is more with road and mountain biking). But at this age it feels much better to be mobile with a twist of the hand rather than having to push with my legs. The Ninja just feels right for short commutes as well as long rides even though I haven't been riding much as this is our rainy monsoon season. And it's great for us vertically challenged. I'm sure you're enjoying the bike as much as everyone, younger or older, in this group.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Our leader @Kiwi Rider If you dont mind, very much prefers - Supreme Leader..!

Gotcha... why did I just picture Rick Moranis in that black helmet??

:grin::angel::grin::nerd::grin:

Reactions: Mr Mike

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure you're enjoying the bike as much as everyone, younger or older, in this group.

Thanks for the welcome..

Oh I am for sure enjoying it... Todays enjoyment already started, the woman locked her keys in the car at wally world.. I told her I would DASH right over... and I did.. saving the day and proving it was a "good buy" to her..:) besides she had my eclairs in the cart already...lol life is good.. :grin::angel::grin:

Reactions: Mr Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey! I would be in the 70 years plus group. I have been riding for about 60 years on everything from a Vespa motorscooter to a full-up Harley. But I have never really had any more fun than these Ninjas. I started with the 300, moved up to the 650 and then evened out with the 400. You are never too old to enjoy that feeling of just falling into a nice smooth turn on this quick light bike. But I'm sure you all know that!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Haha it's good to see that there are riders older than me. Actually it's a relief to see there are people older than me.

I have a sneaky feeling that the 400 is the size that a lot us almost geriatrics feel comfortable with. Hard to believe but back in the 60s and even the early 70s a 400 was a serious motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Hey! I would be in the 70 years plus group. I have been riding for about 60 years on everything from a Vespa motorscooter to a full-up Harley. But I have never really had any more fun than these Ninjas. I started with the 300, moved up to the 650 and then evened out with the 400. You are never too old to enjoy that feeling of just falling into a nice smooth turn on this quick light bike. But I'm sure you all know that!!
That's good to hear because I cant see it letting up any time soon for me anyways. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although they threw in a helmet and gloves to get her home(both better than expected) , Unfortunate for me.. I gave all my gear away and waiting on a mesh armor jacket and tail bag to arrive in the mail tomorrow..
In case you didn't know, you can get a free Kawasaki jacket for buying the Ninja 400. I just got mine in the mail last week and it's a pretty decent piece of gear. Check it out here:

https://www.kawasaki.com/RideJacketForm?cm_mmc=POP-_-CurrentOffers-_-Vanity-_-RidingJacketLP

And welcome to the forum! I'm 46 (at least for the next few weeks) and have been riding for about 25 years. Really loving the little Ninja. It's a blast on the twisties of the northern California coastline!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the welcome Ozzy... I don't know how anyone could not like the Ninja.. fun bike!!

As for the Jacket..:( I was asked to wait a few weeks before claiming one.
Unfortunately.. all the good sizes and right size is grayed out already.. sigh
I will grab anything to just resell it I guess or give it to a family member..

Shame they don't Guarantee to ALL that purchase, a proper size jacket.
such is life...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Im in the old club then im 76 in a couple weeks ,im not new to bikes had a load of emfrom 750 a HD 1200 sportster was last big bike then I had scooters
till I bought this ninja and its a great bike,
as Pwalo says I too think this bike is right is size for us olds, and its got a nice turn of speed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts