Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that do not know I was involved in a hit and run a few weeks ago and this has put me in the market for a new jacket unfortunately. My present jacket is a 5 year old First Gear kilimanjaro ( crash tested ) So I ordered another one, now I knew when I ordered the Jacket it was completely different in the looks department but the materials seem less resilient.

So I spent a few hours, ok, a lot more :smile: looking at other alternatives and finally said f... it and ordered two more jackets, a Klim Latitude and a Klim Apex. So now I have the new kilimanjaro and the other two on the way and when they all get here I hopefully I will be able to decide.

Any input on any of these jackets would be appreciated

On top of all that, I still need riding pants :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
After tumbling down the highway a few years ago after a deer head-butted me off my bike, and seeing how scarred up my leather jacket was, I abandoned my textile gear altogether.

I do have a Kilimanjaro and enjoyed it. Very warm and pretty good in the rain.

·
Registered
656 Posts
For those of you that do not know I was involved in a hit and run a few weeks ago and this has put me in the market for a new jacket unfortunately. My present jacket is a 5 year old First Gear kilimanjaro ( crash tested ) So I ordered another one, now I knew when I ordered the Jacket it was completely different in the looks department but the materials seem less resilient.

So I spent a few hours, ok, a lot more :smile: looking at other alternatives and finally said f... it and ordered two more jackets, a Klim Latitude and a Klim Apex. So now I have the new kilimanjaro and the other two on the way and when they all get here I hopefully I will be able to decide.

Any input on any of these jackets would be appreciated

On top of all that, I still need riding pants :crying:
I've never worn riding gear, Smart people do that kinda stuff... I can only say the one on the left looks best of the group to me. Ya definitely, If I had that one I'd wear it. you'll never get me to wear riding pants thou, I was on and off the bike 7 times yesterday which means I'd have to put on pants each time - No thanks..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Never had Klim stuffs but I have the dainese jacket + skinny riding jeans and I love them! :)

Only really started wearing riding stuffs after I saw my buddy went down hitting random gravel, it was at low speed but his sweater was ripped and the skin on half of his left arm was gone. it was so bloody it still haunts me lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, out of the three the best fitting was the Klim Latitude and it looks like it can survive a crash better than the Kilimanjaro.

The best looking of the lot is the Kilimanjaro but protection is lacking, I can see that material disappearing before my eyes in a crash. The Klim Apex was very nice as well and has amazing ventilation but the collar around your neck is just unbearable, what were they thinking, I cant see anybody liking that feature.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After tumbling down the highway a few years ago after a deer head-butted me off my bike, and seeing how scarred up my leather jacket was, I abandoned my textile gear altogether.
+1
I always go leather. Pants, jacket, gloves. As tight as possible as long as they allow me ride. I choose perforated leather so it's cooler (I'm in South Florida). And I have a rain jacket that fits over the leather jacket.

But, I have to admit, I'm not an ATGATT guy.
On the track: One piece full leather.
Street ride: Two pieces leather suit, sport boots, leather gloves, full helmet.
When I use the bike for transportation: Dress according to where I'm going and bring rain gear in the backpack.
Yes, if I'm going to the gym on the bike, I wear shorts and sneakers, a tshirt and no helmet. So far so good. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1
I always go leather. Pants, jacket, gloves. As tight as possible as long as they allow me ride. I choose perforated leather so it's cooler (I'm in South Florida). And I have a rain jacket that fits over the leather jacket.

When I use the bike for transportation: Dress according to where I'm going and bring rain gear in the backpack.
Yes, if I'm going to the gym on the bike, I wear shorts and sneakers, a tshirt and no helmet. So far so good. Knock on wood.
I'm not an ATGATT nazi, if you're just going a short distance and don't want to put on pants or your riding jacket, that's fine. But riding without a helmet is completely idiotic and **** near suicide with how many terrible and/or distracted drivers there is out there these days. Wear a helmet man.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
+1

Wow! How many states is this still legal in? I find that incredible.
We have to wear helmets by law even on a bicycle here in NZ.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow! How many states is this still legal in? I find that incredible.
We have to wear helmets by law even on a bicycle here in NZ.
Even on a bicycle! Oh no! Such a loss of freedom. (And gain of safety, right? LOL)
Or should I say, 'Great! What a gain of safety. (And loss of freedom)

Here if Florida, helmet and insurance are optional. I guess it's mandatory if you're under 21, but not my case, LOL. So not sure.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Even on a bicycle! Oh no! Such a loss of freedom. (And gain of safety, right? LOL)
Or should I say, 'Great! What a gain of safety. (And loss of freedom)

Here if Florida, helmet and insurance are optional. I guess it's mandatory if you're under 21, but not my case, LOL. So not sure.
Yep it's for safety reasons and is enforced by the police. $75 fine if caught not wearing one.
There has been quite a few stories from cyclists of 'my helmet saved my life' though.
It becomes so ingrained that you dont really think think about the loss of freedom issue. I guess you dont miss what you dont know.
I visited a pal in the UK last year and he lent me his mountain bike to get around on. I felt naked and vulnerable without a helmet on.
Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rode all day today. 92 Fahrenheit.
Leather Dainese jacket. Leather Astars boots. Leather Astars gloves.
I was cool enough as long as I was moving. At this point in my life I'd much rather sweat a bit than bleed.

I don't judge others though. Do what you like.
Well...maybe I secretly judge when I see the shorts and flip flop guys with the helmet strapped on the back pillion seat.
:sad:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Mesh Jacket

I made an unusual Jacket purchase recently for someone who lives in my climate. I've already got enough jackets, one piece, two piece, leather, textile, etc etc.
But I'm going to Thailand in a couple of months and the tour company recommended getting a mesh jacket so you dont melt. They gave me this link:

https://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle/mj472-hi-vis-mesh-jacket

I noted in the reviews that the sizing is a bit on the small side so I ordered a large instead of my usual medium.
This was a good move as it fits me well. It is quite a short jacket though. So far un-tested as it's way too cold for this jacket at the moment! It does have a zip in liner tho.

At the moment they are very good value at half price through Jafrum.

As a New Zealander where we dont have the same gun culture as in the US, I did chuckle to myself at this label attached to the jacket:

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made an unusual Jacket purchase recently for someone who lives in my climate. I've already got enough jackets, one piece, two piece, leather, textile, etc etc.
But I'm going to Thailand in a couple of months and the tour company recommended getting a mesh jacket so you dont melt. They gave me this link:

https://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle/mj472-hi-vis-mesh-jacket

I noted in the reviews that the sizing is a bit on the small side so I ordered a large instead of my usual medium.
This was a good move as it fits me well. It is quite a short jacket though. So far un-tested as it's way too cold for this jacket at the moment! It does have a zip in liner tho.

At the moment they are very good value at half price through Jafrum.

As a New Zealander where we dont have the same gun culture as in the US, I did chuckle to myself at this label attached to the jacket:
Here you go should fit just right

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That will be perfect for sorting out the drug runners in the border areas of Thailand. I knew that pocket would come in handy.
That’s my baby, Colt marine M45a1

And in Canada you have to jump through hoops and give away your rights to own one.

Only reason to own is target practice.
You even need a permit to transport it to the club you belong to

But hey that never stops the criminals. They do as they please

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wear Kawasaki leather jacket, Urban Graffiti Kevlar jeans ,Gericke boots, and Arai Helmet.
Here in UK helmet is compulsory on Motobikes, but not on push bikes, insurance is also compulsory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts