Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, me again…

Had a jacket sleeve come loose from my bag. Got caught in my rear brake. Wheel still seems to turn/brake fine. (Didn’t notice it while riding.Have pulled out as much as possible, but at this point I’ll need to tear it.

My questions are:
1) Should I just tear it out? Will anything remaining get burned up over time
2) Does the brake look right or is there usually more clearance?
3) Can I DIY taking the brake off? Couldn’t find anything on it in the manual. Watched a video and it seemed doable. But don’t wanna **** too much with my brakes.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Rim

· Registered
541 Posts
1) Should I just tear it out? Will anything remaining get burned up over time
- I'm sometime a lazy POS. If it was me, I'd pull out what I can while turning the wheel (pop it in neutral and on a rearstand). If there's any residual small bits, I'll let it flop away or disintegrate
2) Does the brake look right or is there usually more clearance?
- at a glance, it looks okay. As long as it's not dragging and feels the same, it should be fine
3) Can I DIY taking the brake off? Couldn’t find anything on it in the manual. Watched a video and it seemed doable. But don’t wanna **** too much with my brakes.
- Yes, it's a relatively simple job. If you've put some miles on the bike, might want to get some brake cleaner and scrub the caliper/piston a bit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Baxter and misnblu

· Registered
2,018 Posts
- Yes, it's a relatively simple job. If you've put some miles on the bike, might want to get some brake cleaner and scrub the caliper/piston a bit.
Right careful of the rubber boot, do not want to tear or rip that as it is what seals water, dirt and other elements from getting down into the cylinder the piston rides in.
Something I picked up from an old mechanic who retired ( in his 70’s now) was a q-tip with some brake clean on it to clean the part of the piston exposed before you go pushing the piston back in to get the pads off.
Especially if the pads are almost wore out.
Might be overkill but what’s 5-10 min of extra precautions worth if it prevents a rebuild of the caliper much sooner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts