Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's TT week this week and I've been enjoying watching delayed coverage every night of the various races. These guys have got similar skills to the MotoGP riders but bigger balls because if you make a mistake on the TT road circuit there is generally no run off. A high percentage of crashes are fatal.

They kicked off last Saturday with the Superbike race (1000cc) and they have 2 Super Sport races (600cc), a Super stock race which is the 1000cc bikes without the mods and the big one is the Senior TT tomorrow (friday) which is 6 laps of the 37 mile course.

Winners this year so far have been Michael Dunlop, Peter Hickman and Dean Harrison. Hats off to them.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to see the 300-500 class racing there.
Same, they do have the lightweight race which is quote:
Any four-stroke twin cylinder motor-cycle originally sold for road use with a water-cooled engine of up to 650cc.
Seems to be dominated by hotted up Kawasaki 650's, not sure why the Suzuki SV is not popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_TT

They are circulating at an average speed of 120MPH, impressive for such a machine. They just hold em wide open!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already booked for next year, counting down already.
Good man! Have you been before or first time?
I went with a Kiwi buddy way back in '95 before my hair started going grey at the edges.
Really enjoyed it, weather was very cool and damp though, not like this year eh. We couldn't get accommodation so we camped on the football pitch with a whole heap of others, I think it was legal, maybe... :biggrin:
I crashed my bike at Windy corner on mad Sunday. Cops fined me 250 quid for dangerous use of a motor vehicle. I was like c'mon - it's TT week!

I was gutted for Dean Harrison when his bike broke down in the Super Bike race last Saturday. He was on fire. But nice to see him get his first TT win in the 2nd super sport race.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes been quite a few times now, awesome only word to describe it, has to be on the bucket list. The racing this year is exceptional brave brave racers i am in awe of them all, mega Respect!. Some pictures of famous places below, and the man of all time Joey Dunlop, the Memorial is on the Mountain.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes been quite a few times now, awesome only word to describe it, has to be on the bucket list. The racing this year is exceptional brave brave racers i am in awe of them all, mega Respect!. Some pictures of famous places below, and the man of all time Joey Dunlop, the Memorial is on the Mountain.
:coolpics:

How did the ZX14/ST1100/big tourer thing go on the mad sunday run?? :D

I've not long finished watching delayed coverage of the Senior TT race. Great race, what pace! Peter Hickman breaking the lap record with 135.4 MPH average. And that was with getting held up by back markers.
Part of me was just pleased to see all the boys come home safely. Kinda odd that Michael Dunlop was off the pace eh.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/44415189

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 1400 GTR can smoke a fair few sports bikes and the other one was my Z1000SX both very capable at touring and scratching. Hicky was just possessed dont know how he did it i like hicky as a rider of all circuits excellent all rounder we will be going to the BSB Snetterton round in 3 weeks time Hicky will be racing there. Records tumbling this week got to be good for the sport, and the Birchall Brothers are just out if this world 5 in a row WOW!!.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 1400 GTR can smoke a fair few sports bikes and the other one was my Z1000SX both very capable at touring and scratching. Hicky was just possessed dont know how he did it i like hicky as a rider of all circuits excellent all rounder we will be going to the BSB Snetterton round in 3 weeks time Hicky will be racing there. Records tumbling this week got to be good for the sport, and the Birchall Brothers are just out if this world 5 in a row WOW!!.
Ah yes, the side car boys. Must admit I'm a bit bad for not watching the side cars.

That's impressive punting a 1400 GTR around there, must've been a blast, full credit to ya.

I hope to get back myself one day. I'm working on a couple of Kiwi mates to come as well but I think they may be all talk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah yes, the side car boys. Must admit I'm a bit bad for not watching the side cars.

That's impressive punting a 1400 GTR around there, must've been a blast, full credit to ya.

I hope to get back myself one day. I'm working on a couple of Kiwi mates to come as well but I think they may be all talk.
Yep the GTR is no 300kg slouch, doing the course is absolutely the best track day of all time and best of all its FREE!! cant beat that. No speed limit on the mountain you can easily Max out if you want to but i will never go round on Mad Sunday - did it once i had bikes passing me - round - under - over - wheelie it scared the sh1t out of me and not a pleasant ride at all -- although we like watching the nutters while having a pint of Amber nectar at the Creg ny Bar ------ Cheers.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William Dunlop killed

Sad news this weekend hearing that William Dunlop, a prominent I.O.M TT rider, was killed at a road racing event in Ireland.

He was from a well known racing family. His older brother Michael is a top I.OM. rider winning a couple of races this year and both his father Robert and his famous Uncle Joey were both great racers before their own deaths whilst racing.

The Dunlop family has had to deal with a lot of grief.

www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/william-dunlop-dead-crash-video-dies-death-killed-accident-skerries-100-isle-of-man-tt-latest-news-a8436716.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts