Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed work done on my z400, so I had this exhaust installed at the same time. Does it look right. Or, should it h e been attached where the passenger peg is?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yep looks good. Some, like this one, have a bracket to make up the difference in distance between the pass peg mount and the slip on strap. Since the slip on sizes are pretty universal the hanger bracket can be lower than the much larger and bulkier OEM, as they make them to fit many other bikes as well. Usually the mid-pipe is made to fit the header pipe on all the different bikes, or made and welded to the silencer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
EDIT:

Actually, that looks a bit off to me. The bracket location is too far forward, not that it's a problem, just that the bracket should be sitting further back on the muffler IMO.

Here is a pic of my Hindle, notice the bracket sits near the center and not all the way forward as yours appears to be fitting.

As JetPilot pointed out, the extension bracket that attaches to the foot peg can be moved rearward so the floating bracket that attaches to the muffler can be moved towards the center of the muffler.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
573 Posts
@SCNinja400 you have to consider yours is a full system with a aftermarket exhaust hanger where his is a slip on...oh and wait...that isn't a 400 either :unsure:

·
Registered
573 Posts
looks about the same

·
Registered
417 Posts
looks about the same

Nice catch, I stand corrected. But that bracket still looks a little off to me. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
@SCNinja400 there is no question....you are comparing a half system to a slip on on 2 different bikes that's all ! can he move the extension bracket towards the back of the bike to make the clamp move up the pipe,maybe but IMO it's fine the way it is

·
Registered
417 Posts
@SCNinja400 there is no question....you are comparing a half system to a slip on on 2 different bikes that's all ! can he move the extension bracket towards the back of the bike to make the clamp move up the pipe,maybe but IMO it's fine the way it is
I posted 2 more pics of the 400 with a Hindle and Akra for comparison. I only used my ZX6R as a reference to the bracket location as I haven't seen that Arrow slip-on system before. In any event, you are correct and the Arrow system is fine as is.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Ninja 400 prior - 84 GS550 88 Ninja 600 91 ZX-7R 98 GSXR750 04 XB9R
150 Posts
Obviously a different pipe but the LV-10 bolts directly to the passenger bracket. Having said that, the LV-10 mid-pipe has an up curve in it that changes the angle. Based on a straight shot from the mid-pipe, the original poster's bracket seems to be the only way to attach it at that angle. Seems fine to me

·
Registered
573 Posts
@Duckman I think he just needs to move the bracket a smidge...just cosmetic
@NinjaDawg apples to oranges buddy...your shorty has a bracket welded to the can so how can you even compare the 2 !!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
@Duckman I think he just needs to move the bracket a smidge...just cosmetic
@NinjaDawg apples to oranges buddy...your shorty has a bracket welded to the can so how can you even compare the 2 !!
Right, exactly, sometimes you can loosen everything and twist it at the silencer, mid-pipe and bracket and get it angled up more, my strap is not that far forward but its a good ways forward, I was able to move it back about 5mm doing the turn and twist juggle last time I put it back on...but I have noticed the 400 exhaust strap is usually more forward especially off the OEM hanger.

Man two things are, 1. Does any part of it drag hard parts during hard cornering or track riding? 2. Does any of it impact the swingarm during full travel?

If the answer is No to both, its only aesthetic like Jet said.

I had an 04 R6 with a scorpion slip on that came with a pretty good mid-pipe and I was able to get up there almost as much as a high mount exhaust that alot of people like to run on the SV's, like the M4. It took alot of creative twisting of all of it and then clamping it down and the can from the back was not straight up and down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My concern is that it seems a little low. I don’t ride at the track, so that’s not an issue. I haven’t had a chance ride too much, lately but if there is s way to move it up a little, I’d like to.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My concern is that it seems a little low. I don’t ride at the track, so that’s not an issue. I haven’t had a chance ride too much, lately but if there is s way to move it up a little, I’d like to.
I think JetPilot nailed it by saying the bracket between the muffler and foot peg can be adjusted rearward and the muffler strap moved back towards the center. This should raise the muffler.

So loosen at the foot peg bolt and move the bracket from an I to a J postion and move the strap towards the center of the slip-on.

And Duck provided a pic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts