Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One very important information I would also like to tell you

It has shown, that the adjustment marks on the swing arm from the EX250 and EX300 haven't been correct, so when the rear wheel was adjusted according to the marks it was / is not straight within the swing arm / to the frame.
I by myself had always problems with cornering, left turns have been easy and right turns have been problematic (I already don't like right turns that much).
Also my tyre was slantwise worn out, which was really good to see.
So I'd look for a solution and found this

Riding with a straight rear wheel is much more fun and since that time also cornering to the right is the same like to the left.

Maybe all this is not necessary because the marks from the EX400 are correct, but when I follow so many comments here on the forum then I see that a lot of the problems from the EX250 and the EX300 exist on the EX400 also...

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I don't trust the marks on the swing arm either. I always measure both sides from the swingarm pivot to the rear axle when I do my chain adjustments.
The marks on my bike are out a little but not too bad.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
How would you fix something like this? Do you need to realign the rear wheel?
After setting your alignment perfect using another method like the one I suggested or string lines off the front wheel or what ever, then you could possibly file one of the indicator plates a bit where it contacts the axle to get it to read accurately. Fiddly job though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's usually a bit of slop in the marked brackets. Try tapping those brackets either both forward or back (doesn't matter which) so that that the brackets are both up against the axle when you start tightening the axle nut...do that again a couple times as you continue to tighten the axle nut to make sure the brackets have not slipped. This should get the wheel acceptably aligned for most riding..except perhaps for the hard core rider / racers.

·
Registered
777 Posts
T This should get the wheel acceptably aligned for most riding..except perhaps for the hard core rider / racers.
Thanks for that!! Sometimes a ruler and piece of string will work just fine. No need for a laser verified measurement. :geek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts