Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , I just got my brand new 2021 ninja 400 yesterday ! This is something I am always dreaming to own and ride at least for now. Still some cruiser riders bothering and kept bugging like these ninjas are not good for the highways ,! I am just curious to know what’s your genuine opinion on this as fellow ninja riders ? And also I appreciate suggestions or advices
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
This bike will easily sit on 70 - 80 mph no problem. Top speed of around 120 mph... How fast do these guys wanna go?
You've got a fairing to cut the wind a bit too, dont get that on yer cruiser :giggle:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What do cruiser riders know about highways? :LOL: Don't they just ride to the nearest bar on only the nicest Saturday afternoons?

I've no problem with sustaining 90 mph, and I can do so in 20+ mph winds. I prefer lighter winds, but the N400 is aerodynamic enough that a rider who is used to it will be able to cope. So, your Ninja 400 will be good for the highways.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They're lighter, so you need to lean into wind gusts etc. a bit more, but definitely not a "real problem" in my opinion. Maybe you have crazy wind where you're from, but I've never had an unplanned lane change on any bike.

I mean I wouldn't ride one in a hurricane, but I'd say the same about my obese bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They're lighter, so you need to lean into wind gusts etc. a bit more, but definitely not a "real problem" in my opinion. Maybe you have crazy wind where you're from, but I've never had an unplanned lane change on any bike.

I mean I wouldn't ride one in a hurricane, but I'd say the same about my obese bike.
It was an exceptionally windy day. I got hit with a blast right when I crested a mountain. Probably about a 35 mph cross wind hit me. Pushed me into the left lane. It happens. Light bike. Only happened once so far. But you definitely feel the wind on this bike. Just saying pay attention on windy days. Goes for any bike. Ride safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even larger bikes can be pushed around by the wind. After seeing me being moved quite a bit on a Goldwing on PCH-1 a retired bus driver told me they would shut down that route at 40 mph wind days because it could literally blow the bus off the highway. He said most of the accidents where the vehicle left the roadway was because of unexpected wind gusts. You have to learn to deal with it as a part of riding no matter what bike you ride unless you only ride slow on city streets.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
I live in the Rockies where you can get some pretty big wind gusts. Honestly, I can't tell too much difference between the Ninja and my Ducati. Buffeting coming off of trucks and busses are about the same. I never had a problem with the Ninja on the highway. Power wise, I never noticed too much of a problem when I lived in Los Angeles but up near 10,000' where the air is thin, it is nice having a bit more grunt on the highways with a bigger cc bike. My problem with the big open highway cruisers is when you get to the fun parts of the drive you are stuck riding a Chevy Suburban instead of a 911.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Welcome. If I were just gonna slab around on highways, the N400 would not be my 1st choice.
The Harley? cruiser bros are right; a heavier, larger displacement bike w/ a longer wheelbase is better for the highways. Butt wait 'til you get to the twisties, 'n see who has the superior bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It was an exceptionally windy day. I got hit with a blast right when I crested a mountain. Probably about a 35 mph cross wind hit me. Pushed me into the left lane. It happens. Light bike. Only happened once so far. But you definitely feel the wind on this bike. Just saying pay attention on windy days. Goes for any bike. Ride safe.
The same thing happened to me. I've been caught in the 30s a couple of times, but once I had to outrun a thunderstorm that wasn't supposed to be there that day. This happens frequently in the Dakotas. No shelter for miles, not even a bridge to hide under for at least the next ten, so I had to keep going since it looked like hail. The winds became strong enough that I had to slow into the 40s or 30s mph to keep control after a wind blast pushed me out of my lane.

Suppose I should mention that hiding under a bridge isn't the best solution when the conditions create poor visibility for drivers. Better to get off the road and under a gas station canopy or other solid covered structure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ninja 400 is a great car, your choice is right!(y)
Everything has two sides. It's light and comfortable to ride.
Extreme weather doesn't happen every day. Any bike will be affected by strong crosswind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 5'11 and 210lb, commuting with my N400 daily on highway. The avg speed was like 80mph 6th gear~9krmp with no problem, you can go up to 110 full throttle and fully tucked, but the rev will be in the reds, but why would you do that in traffic lol. In terms of following the traffic it is well capable. for me I have no problem accelerating/passing cars nearby unless they really want to race me.
So yeah don't worry if you do rational ridings on highways, but if you wanna fly better consider rockets not motorcycles

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I've been caught in the 30s a couple of times, but once I had to outrun a thunderstorm that wasn't supposed to be there that day. This happens frequently in the Dakotas. No shelter for miles, not even a bridge to hide under for at least the next ten, so I had to keep going since it looked like hail. The winds became strong enough that I had to slow into the 40s or 30s mph to keep control after a wind blast pushed me out of my lane.

Suppose I should mention that hiding under a bridge isn't the best solution when the conditions create poor visibility for drivers. Better to get off the road and under a gas station canopy or other solid covered structure.
Years ago I was working in the Badlands and there were several tornados and other super cells. After dodging them all day (more like luck) we were driving back to our hotel and just as we were exiting the highway a tornado took the roof off the Shell Station next to our motel! I have a bit of PTSD every time I pull up to get gas now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Years ago I was working in the Badlands and there were several tornados and other super cells. After dodging them all day (more like luck) we were driving back to our hotel and just as we were exiting the highway a tornado took the roof off the Shell Station next to our motel! I have a bit of PTSD every time I pull up to get gas now.
Been there done that. We stopped for shelter under the cover of a gas station / Popeyes. Lightening hit the cover we were under and caught the whole **** place on fire. **** most exciting ride I was ever on. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes but that Suburban sure is nice when you have to go 1200 miles or more to get to some of those nice places. I have thought about trying to tow my ninja400 on a trailer out to some of those nice places with my Goldwing like Ari and Zack did with their dirt bikes when they were still with Motorcyclist Magazine. I’m just afraid I may get all butt-hurt from all the laughter I would generate especially from my wife and kids.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Like someone else said, a bike that can do 0 - 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds is certainly able to ride on the highway. Also, you probably have a better mpg than cruisers. Peer pressure can be tough to deal with, especially coming from people you look up to. But don't worry, as you see from the above posts, this is a very versatile bike. I use mine for commuting and riding around, which means doing a bit of highway.

If you take your friends logic a bit further, you can say that Can Ams are better suited for highway than cruisers. But that logic reduces the value of a vehicle only to some sort of convenience. Convenience is only a small part for most of motorcycle riders.

Yes but that Suburban sure is nice when you have to go 1200 miles or more to get to some of those nice places. I have thought about trying to tow my ninja400 on a trailer out to some of those nice places with my Goldwing like Ari and Zack did with their dirt bikes when they were still with Motorcyclist Magazine. I’m just afraid I may get all butt-hurt from all the laughter I would generate especially from my wife and kids.
Exactly, all vehicles, Suburban and 911, have their own advantages. Generally speaking, cars are more convenient than motorcycles. But it is partly this lesser convenience that makes motorcycle a better vehicle for those who want to feel more alive driving, because generally they are more fun and they make you feel more alive and connected to everything around you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
IMO the more relavant question is, are you a good enough rider to handle highway speeds and adapt to changing environment conditions.

For highway speeds a better windscreen, proper riding gear, and good form will help. For extremely windy conditions it's better to stop riding.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I find no matter what speed I am going, people are going faster so I just keep it around 6.5Krpm and stay in the right lane.
When I cruise for a long time on the highway that is certainly true. It is not worth getting into a speed escalating game, for many reasons. However, at red lights, if the traffic in front of me allows it, I gun the engine and I leave most cars at a good distance behind. That gives me at a least a few minutes of stress free riding, without someone tailing me. I don't like being tailed because I feel that having to pay closed attention to what goes behind me diminishes the attention I get to pay to what happens in front and my sides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone , I just got my brand new 2021 ninja 400 yesterday ! This is something I am always dreaming to own and ride at least for now. Still some cruiser riders bothering and kept bugging like these ninjas are not good for the highways ,! I am just curious to know what’s your genuine opinion on this as fellow ninja riders ? And also I appreciate suggestions or advices
Thanks in advance
Ignore any negativity from other riders of any sort. Enjoy the bike for what it is and ride your own ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts