Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

(TL; DR)
Has anyone noticed restricted power up top? How would/did you unlimit the top end?

I bought my Ninja 400 three months ago, $6,163.08 out the door, and since then I've clocked just over 1,600 miles. This is my very first motorcycle. So far, I have really, really been loving it. I've taken it to a track once and plan on doing so again in August. The overwhelming majority of the time I'm just riding around curvy roads or occasionally riding to work.

I took it very easy the first thousand miles, almost, exactly as the manual recommenced. I also changed the oil excessively. The first oil and filter change was under 20 miles, then 306 miles, 615 miles, 1,270, and 1,460 miles. I have been using Honda GN4 10w40 ($78 12 Quarts Honda GN4) and Hiflofiltro Racing filters ($38 4 Hiflofiltro Racing oil filters) I figure the best oil is brand new oil. I like to take my time to warm the engine, flush the last drops of old oil with new oil and prefilling the new oil filter. Chain maintenance has been more often than oil changes, especially chain slack during low miles.

Here's what I have done to my bike so far:
-M4 slip on
-rear spools
-tst industries fender eliminator
-motodynamic smoked integrated rear brakelight
-clutch and front brake adjustable levers
-PCV
-quickshifter
-Metzeler Sportec M7 RR Tires front 110/70ZR17 | rear 150/60ZR17 (didn't put much thought into size, same as OEM)

I have to say the new rubber is noticeable better than the Dunlop Sportmax GPR, but I am no where near skilled enough as a rider to take advantage. The fender eliminator kit I highly recommend, because it's cheap and looks great.($26 Fender eliminator kit by TST Industries 'Standard') Same with the ($95 Motodynamic Smoked Integrated rear brakelight) I really like this integrated brakelight because it's cheap, bright, has great sequential turn signals and the blinking on initial braking is a great safety feature.

Now, something I don't like... the engine is governed. I am convinced from riding around and ESPECIALLY on the track. Once the engine reaches the last 1,500 or so revs there is a definitely a drop or a plateau in power that feels artificial. Maybe my engine is 'broken down' instead of 'broken in' like the manual states, but I doubt it. I thought a power commander would help solve this, but if anything it has actually robbed a few horsepower from the little 399cc engine. On the other hand, I bought and set up a quickshifter to marry with the PCV and that was absolutely worth it for the fun. {Don't order the 'H' shift rod from DynoJet, because it actually makes the total shift rod + sensor 2cm longer than stock, but it can be made to work. Order the 'pull' sensor for factory set up and push for reversed 'GP' shift}

I am really happy with the bike and don't need to change anything. But I am thinking of finding a header some time in the future then ordering the automatic tune kit from DynoJet to fix what I think is a restricted top end. At the moment it is looking like an Arrow header is available and would fit the m4 slip on. Farther down the line(if I get more track opportunities) I may do away with street riding and order some racing fairings, do something with the brakes, change the rearsets and drop $1,500 for Ohlins suspension front and rear.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Welcome Texas. I know the power delivery plateau you mention but I'm not so sure its a restriction rather just an engine characteristic. For this reason I generally dont rev it beyond 10K as there's little to be achieved.

The larger pots of the 400 probably don't like to be moved as quickly as the N250 & 300 and I see they have dropped the redline back form 13K on the 300.

I'm going to be interested to see if things changed once I get my ECU re-flashed in a couple of months.
But yeah I too have been surprised at how un-revvy (is there such a word?) this motor is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah so it's not just me.. good to know.

What did you get out of the first flash? Let me know how the re-flash goes.

Maybe I should find a place to dyno my bike after I figure out a full exhaust system.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Hah so it's not just me.. good to know.

What did you get out of the first flash? Let me know how the re-flash goes.

Maybe I should find a place to dyno my bike after I figure out a full exhaust system.
This will be the first flash, probably used wrong terminology before.
I've just fitted a slip on so want to dyno tune by flashing the ECU to suit now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts