Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking the forks off and installing my new Traxxion Dynamics Axxion AR-25 Rod kit in my forks. I’m using .90 springs...(I’m 220# geared up) 15wt oil and 110mm height...

The install is relatively easy. If you know how to remove the forks and have a way to support the bike, and have the right tools it’s pretty much a no brainer. I thought about doing a full write up but the instructions included with the kit walk you through it very well. The main thing is to make sure you have a long 6mm Allen insert for the lower rod bolt on the bottom of the forks. I have the Traxxion fork tool kit that came with the tool. I mounted the forks in a vise and used a 3/8” drive ratchet with an extension on the handle and gave it a quick firm pull and they both popped loose pretty easily...

I will give a ride report tomorrow. I also have an Ohlins rear shock so this should balance it out nicely. I bought and paid for the Ohlins fork cartridges a while back, but after waiting a month with no product I cancelled my order for a full refund. The company I ordered them from kinda dropped the ball and left me hangin...(no names mentioned)...

I hope these inserts perform well for my spirited backroad rides and the occasional trackday. I’ve dealt with Traxxion Dynamics in the past (Penske 3 way/AR20 cartridges on my FZ1) and they are a top notch company with excellent customer service!...

EB4DD03A-2483-4416-B111-2B0B95D00B90.jpeg
D54715BD-7B0D-46D7-B5A6-B1B44FBFF53D.jpeg
AFEE4365-ED63-4F9A-A37C-91E6F5DE1DA8.jpeg
1384B1A6-47FC-42B7-88EF-CBF073A246DB.jpeg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did Traxxion make recommendations for fork oil brand and weight, if not how did you decide?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they include the proper weight oil and the instructions have the recommended settings.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they include the proper weight oil and the instructions have the recommended settings.
I also have preload adjusters so here is a pic of the spacer length and the used oil. Looks like blood...this is after 2,800 miles...

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have this kit with added preload adjusters also. Didn't feel the need to adjust the preload as it is configured properly for my weight.

PS,
This kit ships with Maxima regular fork oil. Anybody know the difference between Maxima's "Racing fork oil" versus their "regular fork oil" besides the few dollars more in price? I know it has something to do with the additives they use.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have this kit with added preload adjusters also. Didn't feel the need to adjust the preload as it is configured properly for my weight.

PS,
This kit ships with Maxima regular fork oil. Anybody know the difference between Maxima's "Racing fork oil" versus their "regular fork oil" besides the few dollars more in price? I know it has something to do with the additives they use.
I already had the K-Tech springs so they just shipped me the inserts and oil. I never cut the spacers to account for the preload adjusters when I installed them a while back so it needed to be done. Not sure about the oil differences...

Just got back from my initial ride. I noticed an immediate improvement when coming to a stop. The forks did not dive and spring back like they did before. It feels much more smooth in the fork travel when on and off the brakes. The front end as a whole just feels way more stable and planted. It’s a very noticeable difference. I was surprised because I thought it would just a a subtle improvement, but it’s way better...

I highly recommend this mod to people who don’t want to dish out the $$$ for cartridges but want better suspension. I’m very pleased with the outcome...

Next on the list is a new front rotor and master cylinder...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts