Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
But DRUMROLL tho...isn't this what we're all waiting for???....KAPOW! I installed them and successfully I might add! :3tens:

[STEP 1]:

Disconnect the negative side of the battery.

You will need to remove the two black textured-plastic fairings that are juxtaposed to the fuel tank. There are two screws (top and rear) that need to be removed, and then you just gently pull the fairing away as there are 3 or 4 rubber snap-ins. You will NOT need to remove the fuel tank as LEDGlow's video suggests. It is absolutely not necessary on the Ninja 400

[STEP 2]:
This is sooo important! When installing the LED strips under the tail, you will find that there is NO way to run the wires up to the seat, UNLESS you remove two bolts (on each side) of the tail fairing. You will NOT need to remove the fairing itself, only remove the bolts and one major screw (that goes into the hole that my index finger is pointing to, in the above picture). Once you remove those, you then can squeeze the wires in between the tail fairing and up under the seat. Remember, removing the tail fairing is not necessary, but you must remove some of the bolts/ screws in order to loosen the fairing, to make a route for the wires.

[STEP 3]:

I prepped all areas with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Begin to plan out where your LED strips will go. I started with under the tail (I placed 2 under there) and ran them up to the seat like I described in Step 2. I then began to plot out my plan for the left side of my bike; pressing the strips into the area removing them, cutting them to accommodate the area and then applying them, but first running the wires out of the fairings into one opening. You will see multiple wires coming out of the same fairing opening. I installed 7 LED Strips on each side of the bike. I replicated the same setup on the right side to make sure that the light would be balanced. To me, this is the most difficult part of the installation: figuring out where to place the strips and cutting them (every 3 LED bulbs) to get that perfect fit.

[STEP 4]:

After you apply your LED strips, make sure they are not close to any moving parts or hot areas. Installing them near the front forks was a bit tricky as they got really close to the Radiator. So, I had to make sure that everything was zip-tied away from these heat-prone areas. The locations where I installed the strips, on each side of the bike: Left side (5) inside the side body fairings, (1) near front fork, (1) inside the cockpit area, near then handle bars and tachometer. Same installation for the right side, totaling 14 LED strips. The last 2 strips are installed under the tail. The kit that I purchased came with 18, but I kept 2 additional strips, just in case I need to replace some on the bike.

[STEP 5]:

Once all LED strips are attached and zip-tied to each other, kept tight against the inside of the fairings, then start to zip-tie as ONE large wire. The zip-ties provided in the kit are a nice thought, but they are not nearly enough. You will NEED to buy a bag of zip-ties if you are a neat freak like me. I don't like wires all ova the place! It's just confusion! So, every 3inches, I was zip-tying. Continue until you reach the end of the wiring harnesses. You will have different lengths, so make sure you don't accidentally bundle the shortest one. Tuck the long wire that you created from the multiple wires, alongside the tank and press it underneath the tank, on both sides of the bike. I then zip-tied it to the metal bracket (with the 2 nuts) used to hold the tank in.

[STEP 6]:

You should now have two long, big wires (combo of all zip-tied wires) that you should now start connecting to the other wiring harnesses provided in the kit. These wires will need to connect to individual wiring harnesses that are bundled into one wire harness that plugs into the Power Control Box. I removed the bike tool kit and placed the Control Box in this same area (it sits below/behind the battery). You can see this in the above photo. Once all of the wires are securely snapped into the wiring harnesses, then start to zip-tie them to keep them neat. Trust me, you will want to do this because the wiring harnesses are ridic long to accommodate various distances, especially if you ordered additional strips, like I did. Original kit comes with 12, so I ordered an additional 6 which had an extension harness. So ye, wires were EVERYWHERE.

[STEP 7]:
You can either bundle the HUGE SINGLE wire that you have created by using zip-ties and place it under your seat. However, there isn't much room unless you just place it on top of the battery. I was apprehensive about doing that so instead i opted to run the bundled wires through to the rear seat/trunk area. This worked extremely well. I was able to make U shape with the wires in order to get them placed in that rear seat area, as the trunk door will NOT close if you don't position the wires appropriately. It took me about 5minutes to play with the placement to get it to work. I also was able to place my tool kit in the rear seat area, not close to the trunk door hinges. Everything just barely fit.

[STEP 8]:
You will need a wire connector kit, something like this: https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/crimping-tool-pliers/dorman-quick-splice-crimper-terminal-kit/370510_0_0
Use those connectors to crimp on to the red wire (power) and the black wire (ground). Once your connectors are crimped, connect the RED wire from the Control Power Box to the Positive RED post of your battery. Connect the BLACK wire from the Control Power Box to the Negative Black post of your battery. Reconnect the negative side of the battery. Use your remote to power on your lights and voila!

RESULTS:

(bike is cranked and at idle)

(LED strips installed inside fairing)

(LED strips installed near front forks)

VIDEO of pulsing lights: https://vimeo.com/298322022

NOTES: (actually didn't intend on this being so lengthy a post. SORRY!)
This entire installation took 5 hours for me and I wanted to give some "tips" to hopefully make things go faster for you
- Buy a big bag of zip-ties (these will keep the entire installation mess free and confusion free!
- Buy a wiring connector kit (as the wire connectors for the control box are not included with the kit)
- Try to have a plan lined out regarding the placement of your LED strips, prior to installation. The more you know prior to installation, the less time you'll spend installing

Would I do it again? Absolutely! This was the most advanced modification I've done on the bike because there are so many things involved...and you have no clue what it's gonna look like until AFTER the installation, so it was stressful in that regard. BUT mannnn did I enjoy it! I will say I've never wired anything before in my life, so if I can do it, anyone can. I thoroughly enjoyed the installation and I hope the write-up helps a little!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Installation guide from LEDGlow: https://www.motorcycleledlights.com/content/instructions/LEDGlow-6-to-20pc-Classic-LED-Motorcycle-Lighting-Kit.pdf

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would probably only look at putting two strips on the back near the tail light and set on red as extra "tail lights" for night use as I believe "underglow" lights are not permitted here in Western Australia

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Looks good

I had something like that on one of my gixxer 750s back in the day, installed by the previous owner. It came in handy when I got caught out in the dark in late nov in New York. It’s good if you do riding at nite, the more light the more better. At this point, I am pretty much track only, I ride on the street maybe 4 times a season if I lucky. I had some of these installed as turn signals on the rear. I took them off, no need. I never ride at nite.:wink:

·
Registered
255 Posts
But DRUMROLL tho...isn't this what we're all waiting for???....KAPOW! I installed them and successfully I might add! :3tens:

Would I do it again? Absolutely! This was the most advanced modification I've done on the bike because there are so many things involved...and you have no clue what it's gonna look like until AFTER the installation, so it was stressful in that regard. BUT mannnn did I enjoy it! I will say I've never wired anything before in my life, so if I can do it, anyone can. I thoroughly enjoyed the installation and I hope the write-up helps a little!

Let me know if you have any questions.
WOW>>>. Now THAT is a detailed tutorial. Great pics to go with the text. For anyone interested in the additional lighting THIS is an awesome thread.

Good on you girl. Way to go and step up to the challenge of the install...AMAZING...:clap::3tens::clap::3tens:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thank you and No problem! *hugs*
:grin: the question i have is whether these are legal on the street. the state laws differ considerably from one to other. Texas says it cant be red, white or blue, flashing or oscillating etc.
Maryland says they are great since they help protect by making the rider visible but cant be blue or red.
I am looking at these -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1CFFX6W0O1DQK
only one with decent number of reviews and rating. however, it goes red when brakes are applied (this could go either ways wrt a citation or none).

why is life so confusing sometimes i wonder?
inputs anyone on this?
LEDGlow is another (courtesy TaiMc) but those are equally costly as well.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW>>>. Now THAT is a detailed tutorial. Great pics to go with the text. For anyone interested in the additional lighting THIS is an awesome thread.

Good on you girl. Way to go and step up to the challenge of the install...AMAZING...:clap::3tens::clap::3tens:
Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I love being able to help and make the best use of my time and others'!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:grin: the question i have is whether these are legal on the street. the state laws differ considerably from one to other. Texas says it cant be red, white or blue, flashing or oscillating etc.
Maryland says they are great since they help protect by making the rider visible but cant be blue or red.
I am looking at these -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1CFFX6W0O1DQK
only one with decent number of reviews and rating. however, it goes red when brakes are applied (this could go either ways wrt a citation or none).

why is life so confusing sometimes i wonder?
inputs anyone on this?
LEDGlow is another (courtesy TaiMc) but those are equally costly as well.
I was told the same... I'm good, because my lights are green and I keep them "static" when I ride. They aren't flashing or oscillating. I've even been next to a cop at a stop light and he didn't pull me over (when I had mine on). But I think it does vary per state.

My lights aren't activated when brakes are applied. I think it can be done tho...but the ones I got from LED Glow don't have that option. There are many more expensive variations of lighting kits from LED Glow. I just got the basic (one color) 16 LED strips. It cost me under $100 (purchased from Walmart).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a bike the other night that had yellow lights similar to TaiMc. Man, you talk about visibility!
There's one rider in my city that Ive seen twice. Dude is lit uppp with all RED. LIke his gear is red, his helmet got red on it...bike has red and he's extremely visible. That impression stuck with me for a couple years (I saw him twice in 2017). Before I bought my bike I knew i wanted to get it lit, because of the visibility.

Safety <3

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was told the same... I'm good, because my lights are green and I keep them "static" when I ride. They aren't flashing or oscillating. I've even been next to a cop at a stop light and he didn't pull me over (when I had mine on). But I think it does vary per state.

My lights aren't activated when brakes are applied. I think it can be done tho...but the ones I got from LED Glow don't have that option. There are many more expensive variations of lighting kits from LED Glow. I just got the basic (one color) 16 LED strips. It cost me under $100 (purchased from Walmart).
green i am sure is no sweat thing for cops. best of both worlds for you (Kawi green and cool cops). :grin:
mine is a black,grey,yellow so would mostly keep them yellow/orange but they go red with brakes like i indicated earlier (i find that interesting actually). Will mostly avoid the brake thing then. Right next door i have a cop living, time to pick his brain i guess.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...Right next door i have a cop living, time to pick his brain i guess.
YUP! If you have a lot of cops that ride in your area, they may overlook this, as long as your lights aren't flashing. Many cops ride in Houston, so they are typically very lenient when it comes to riders. I think I've only seen a couple of bikes pulled over by cops in my area..but they were like 30 miles outside of the city.

It's just not something you see here much.

·
Registered
403 Posts
YUP! If you have a lot of cops that ride in your area, they may overlook this, as long as your lights aren't flashing. Many cops ride in Houston, so they are typically very lenient when it comes to riders. I think I've only seen a couple of bikes pulled over by cops in my area..but they were like 30 miles outside of the city.

It's just not something you see here much.
not a single cop rider that i have seen seen riding in my area or nearby (i live 30 miles out west from DC). only time i ever saw one was in the motorcade of some politician in DC area i guess.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i went ahead and installed the ditrio LED motorbike lights (available on Amazon) on the 400. you tube link below.
Although, it is not as much of an install right now since i used masking tape to do a mock drill of what goes where.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts