Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a simple upgrade I am sure anyone can do it. You need a 4mm allen wrench and blue thread lock, minimal tools. Keep in mind the parts are small be careful dont drop them inside the tank. I should have put a rag over the hole, but thought about it too late.

First open your stock fuel cap

Remove the 4 allen bolts. Watch out for the little rubber grommet, it can fall inside.

Set the new fuel plate in place, line up the 4 bolt holes

Use just a drop of thread lock on the first threads on the bolt

Tighten all 4 bolts in a cross pattern like when you do a car tire. The torque on these bolts is on 6ftlbs I dont have a torque wrench that will go that small of torque. I just torqued it to feel.

You can see the little tab and the 2 slots line them up

With the cap on job is done

·
Registered
14 Posts
I plan to pick one up. Where did you buy it, and is it ninja 400 specific (or universal fit with other model bikes)? And yes, rag in the gas fill hole for sure.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Nice job mate, looks good. I've been waiting for my regular Chinese suppliers to bring out a $30 cheapie, dont want to over-capitalize on my purchase eh :smile_big:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You must have a garage. I'm paranoid that my neighbors will sabotage me for playing loud music, so I don't even park in front of my apartment. :D

PS - I love how you're making the bike your own!

·
Registered
656 Posts
You must have a garage. I'm paranoid that my neighbors will sabotage me for playing loud music, so I don't even park in front of my apartment. :D

PS - I love how you're making the bike your own!
Lol as soon as hes done I'm gonna make his bike my own:grin:...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... " if your bikes still there " sounds like you may have bigger issues than just getting your gas siphoned.
I live in a secure community, plus I have a fence around my house and to top that off 3 dogs that hate anything that moves. Its a race bike its parked in my garage. I dont even have a kick stand on it so it has to be moved with a rear stand so its not like I can park the bike in front of Starbucks lol. To make it even more interesting I am having the key lock removed and Keyswitch Elimination Harness installed on the bike. You wont even need a key to start it. Ever gone to the race track only to find out you forgot your key for the bike at home?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
...I am having the key lock removed and Keyswitch Elimination Harness installed on the bike. You wont even need a key to start it. Ever gone to the race track only to find out you forgot your key for the bike at home?
Yes! But after some time and a lot of frantic searching and cursing I found it in the center console of the car where I did not remember putting it. By that stage I was starting to sweat and was about to hot wire the bike. Not a nice feeling.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! But after some time and a lot of frantic searching and cursing I found it in the center console of the car where I did not remember putting it. By that stage I was starting to sweat and was about to hot wire the bike. Not a nice feeling.
My bike came with 2 keys. I always leave the spare key in the center console of my truck. I just dont see the need for a key switch on a race bike. The steering doesnt lock anymore since they installed bump stops so its really kinda useless. Plus they can break the locks so fast shove a screwdriver in the ignition and byebye

·
Registered
145 Posts
...To make it even more interesting I am having the key lock removed and Keyswitch Elimination Harness installed on the bike...

But with this Keyswitch Elimination Harness you have power on the cluster all the time. Wouldn't that drain your battery? What do you do? You removed the cluster as well? Or you disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But with this Keyswitch Elimination Harness you have power on the cluster all the time. Wouldn't that drain your battery? What do you do? You removed the cluster as well? Or you disconnect the battery?
Kill switch, turns everything off. When you want to start turn the kill switch on bike will start like normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts