Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after race 1 that my white paint on my belly pain was turning brown, getting burnt from exhaust laying on it. I removed the belly pan and noticed the [email protected] that the painter put on to protect the paint. Was really cheap product that he used. I ordered some from Amazon. I always double layer to protect the paint better. The first layer is a gold reflective good up to 800*F, the second layer is a thicker heat shield good up to 1500*F.

This is the gold layer, I put more then I need but got all I needed covered. I havent placed it yet just figuring out where I want it to be.

Here it is laid down, notice I cut it down a little lower as I will have another layer on top of it. That way the 2nd layer has material to stick on.

I put the next layer, I used the backing of the heat sheild, the one that sticks to the heat shield to help push it into all the corners. Make sure you get all the bubbles out that you can. I then cut it to fit. It looks much better and should last another year before I will need to replace it again.

Here is the burnt paint marks. I already talked with the painter, he will fix it after race season.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello SDM...

Thats pretty cool stuff there... That would be amazing if it can mitigate heat damage to your fairing paint. whats the distance from the pipe to the fairing...?

I wonder how much heat it will reflect, You wouldn't happen to know what the specific heat value of that material is would you - Cork is 0.50 and copper is like 0.10, Im trying to figure out how something so thin can insulate that well.

Lol I bet that stuff would keep out door water pipe from freezing...

For thous that don't know... A really hard concept for most but one thats absolutely true, is there is only heat in our universe there is no cold. when we say an object is cold or hot that is only a reference to our personal comfort. In reality an object can contain either More or Less Heat. Heat is energy and travels from a higher temperature to a lower temperature. Google Absolute Zero - its a physics thing.

Think of heat like electricity - Electrons only flow from higher electrical pressure to a lower electrical pressure... So if you have a 12v battery you need to have a charger that puts out more than 12v or it will never charge, its the same with heat.

So that really cool stuff your putting on your fairing is an amazing insulator "It slows but cant stop the transfer of heat" that allows the paint on your fairing to lose heat faster then it gains it, and the fact that its so thin just amazes me to no end..

Give us an update on how well it works if you remember SDM.

·
Registered
656 Posts
@Mr Mike

normally I wrap the pipes also, I forgot to order it.

I used to live in LV. went to Bonanza & Western HS.

OMG that was years ago. Class of 85!
Thats way too funny - Small World. I went to Vegas down town, Class of 79. Yes it was a long time ago - but seems like yesterday..! And here you are all these years later racing... You race for fun or are you pro..?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats way too funny - Small World. I went to Vegas down town, Class of 79. Yes it was a long time ago - but seems like yesterday..! And here you are all these years later racing... You race for fun or are you pro..?
I race for fun only too old for pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts