Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's plenty of room in your trunk! You can make more room by removing that useless plastic flap door, and cutting off those redundant plastic vertical partitions.

Get these tools to make quick work:

http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1613&stc=1&d=1526179887

Next, cut all partitions, except the left side, this will separate the wire harness:

http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1615&stc=1&d=1526179887

Optionally, add a rubber mat:

http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1617&stc=1&d=1526179887

Alas, more junk in your trunk!

http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1619&stc=1&d=1526179887

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree nice mod!

What type of rubber mat and size did you buy? Did you cut a piece from a larger leftover piece?

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree nice mod!

What type of rubber mat and size did you buy? Did you cut a piece from a larger leftover piece?
Got the rubber mat from Home Depot. I bought a bulk roll, around 3mm thick.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only downside of this bike is that my glasses case wont enter there.. dammit
Too bad.

I can now fit a mini air-compressor and tire puncture repair kit in there.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Bumping this one. Thanks for the idea! Just did it yesterday and it’s a great DIY!...

Fit a tire repair kit and pressure gauge with room to spare...

·
Registered
440 Posts
WTF are those partition walls for anyway? Is there some kind of accessory that matches up to them?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
WTF are those partition walls for anyway? Is there some kind of accessory that matches up to them?
Not that I know of. Maybe to stop small items rolling around?
Best thing I did was get rid of them. Now when I go touring I can easily pack a heap of tools (my own ones, not the crap ones that come with bike) and a small can of chain lube in there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Best thing I did was get rid of them. Now when I go touring I can easily pack a heap of tools (my own ones, not the crap ones that come with bike) and a small can of chain lube in there.
Okay...will be trying this out! Right now I have all that wiring from my LED strips in there. It was a hassle to move them under the seat and to the trunk because of those doggone partitions. But now it looks like they're easy to remove just by cutting? YUP. I plan to do this ASAP, next week. Thank yall <33333 :3tens:

@Watcher905 :clap::clap::clap::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay...will be trying this out! Right now I have all that wiring from my LED strips in there. It was a hassle to move them under the seat and to the trunk because of those doggone partitions. But now it looks like they're easy to remove just by cutting? YUP. I plan to do this ASAP, next week. Thank yall <33333 :3tens:

@Watcher905 :clap::clap::clap::grin::grin::grin:

You know, a lock box can be fitted in the cockpit, right side opposite the usb port, now you got me thinkin.....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You know, a lock box can be fitted in the cockpit, right side opposite the usb port, now you got me thinkin.....
Cant wait to see what else you come up with. Once I modify mine, I plan to store my sprocket alarm, my tire puncture kit, and my lime-green torx screwdriver kit in there! :grin:

Ooohh maybe i can install some lime green rubber mat material inside the trunk area to give it a bit of "Tai-flava"!? *Giggless* HOpe to do this soon yall! :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I remember some of the bikes from the eighties that had those generous sized full fairings having little compartments on the sides of the fairing. Could be handy for all sorts of things like an accurate tyre pressure gauge so your not relying on the one at the servo.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Vert has more "Junk in her trunk"

@Watcher905

You inspired me to do this! I finallyyyy had time to do mine!

So I used spring-loaded utility shears and channel locks and vice grips to get them out

You can still see some of the plastic partitions in the above picture, I removed them all here:

To make sure they don't snag or cut me, I cut and custom-fit a floor mat inside (bought it from Home Depot). I also wanted to make sure that when others maintenance my bike they won't cut themselves either:

There are two panels inside the trunk area, so that my wiring from the tail lights can be accessed:

I cut another piece of the mat and covered the LED wiring bundle (the 16 LED strip, green lights that I installed), and made a "soft"/flexible partition for them:

I've placed the other items, as I didn't have the space to do it previously:

All items are placed in the space:

Summary:

- Time spent on this modification: 2hrs with prep, cutting, installing and clean-up
- Items used: Utility Shears (to cut the partitions) & Channel locks, Vice Grips (to remove the plastic)
- Thoroughly enjoyed the project and it is sooo functional, as now I don't have to carry some of those items in my backpack which are very heavy.

Items placed inside the trunk space: Stock Kawasaki Ninja 400 Tool Kit, LED wiring, G.I. Repair Tire Kit , floor mat

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
@TaiMc Very neat job, you make me look like a butcher in comparison. :smile_big:
I used a sharp box knife and kinda sliced them off, but not very neatly. I think a dremel would be the ideal tool for final finishing.

Great having that extra space huh. I put all sorts of stuff in there now but probably most common is tools and chain lube on a tour or warmer gloves and neck warmer on a day ride.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That just downright crazy that by removing those braces will yield so much room.

Great hack..

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
@Watcher905

- Time spent on this modification: 2hrs with prep, cutting, installing and clean-up
- Items used: Utility Shears (to cut the partitions) & Channel locks, Vice Grips (to remove the plastic)
- Thoroughly enjoyed the project and it is sooo functional, as now I don't have to carry some of those items in my backpack which are very heavy.

[/URL]
Time used to post brilliant mod to the forum: Priceless!!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
@TaiMc Very neat job, you make me look like a butcher in comparison. :smile_big:
I used a sharp box knife and kinda sliced them off, but not very neatly. I think a dremel would be the ideal tool for final finishing.

Great having that extra space huh. I put all sorts of stuff in there now but probably most common is tools and chain lube on a tour or warmer gloves and neck warmer on a day ride.
Thank you! and yesss, now my backpack will be lighter! I couldn't believe the space...So glad @Watcher905 started this thread!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts