Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy with the MT/FZ-07 came round today and I was ordering him some braided front brake lines when we got talking about the Ninjas front brake and how it could be improved.

I reckon the best way would be to fit one braided line running directly from the master cylinder to the caliper by-passing the ABS unit.
The OEM set up of two rubber hoses running through an ABS unit must create a lot of scope for sponginess to occur.

The obvious down side of this is you lose your ABS to the front wheel but if your not bothered about that (like myself) then that's not an issue.

I had a quick look on-line and this appears to be a popular conversion esp among racers. ( @SDM! ) Obviously you need to put a bung in the ABS unit where you remove the OEM hose from but apart from that it appears to be quite a simple and relatively cheap mod. Some said it made the ABS light come on and others not, must depend on the model of bike.

Interesting... :whatdoyouthink:

PS. I'm not looking to start a ABS Vs No ABS debate here, start another thread please if you want to thrash that one out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My buddy with the MT/FZ-07 came round today and I was ordering him some braided front brake lines when we got talking about the Ninjas front brake and how it could be improved.

I reckon the best way would be to fit one braided line running directly from the master cylinder to the caliper by-passing the ABS unit.
The OEM set up of two rubber hoses running through an ABS unit must create a lot of scope for sponginess to occur.

The obvious down side of this is you lose your ABS to the front wheel but if your not bothered about that (like myself) then that's not an issue.

I had a quick look on-line and this appears to be a popular conversion esp among racers. ( @SDM! ) Obviously you need to put a bung in the ABS unit where you remove the OEM hose from but apart from that it appears to be quite a simple and relatively cheap mod. Some said it made the ABS light come on and others not, must depend on the model of bike.

PS. I'm not looking to start a ABS Vs No ABS debate here, start another thread please if you want to thrash that one out.
I know you dont want that debate but man cmon dont remove the front ABS, the brakes are not that bad that in needs the abs removed, better be safe than sorry, better pads and levers should be enough but meh its your bike haha plus I wanna see how much weight you can drop so if you do remove the abs system and fans and all other things give the bike a weigh so we can see just how light you can make her haha

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me all mods on on hold till I get the shifting issue sorted.

but I don’t understand why you went for the ABS version if you wanted to add SS braided brake lines. I got the non ABS version so I could install SS lines and maybe a few other brake mods without worrying about the ABS system, plus I saved a few bucks for the mods.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, if you are bypassing the ABS line, you should remove all of the rest of the ABS dead-weight, imo.

I wanted a non-ABS bike, but they only had the ABS, and it was only a $250 difference. For the street, I think it is a wise investment....even though, I too am not overly worried about it on this particular bike.

·
Registered
457 Posts
When I got my n4 the only option was the ABS. As @Kiwi Rider mentioned that was one of my first upgrades. I will remove all of the ABS components once my race fairings get here. If you want even better front braking go with the BREMBO 4 piston caliper. I never had any issues with brake fade during the race. Remember you can always use a master cylinder off of any 600cc or 1000cc to give you even better braking power and save some money over a BREMBO master.

My abs light is on but a little piece of black tape over it and you never see it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
According to the specs sheet, the ABS unit adds about 4 lbs. to the bike. However, it saves me some coin with the insurance coverage.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... but I don’t understand why you went for the ABS version if you wanted to add SS braided brake lines. I got the non ABS version so I could install SS lines and maybe a few other brake mods without worrying about the ABS system, plus I saved a few bucks for the mods.
If only I could have! Some bureaucrat decided a year or two ago that all bikes sold in NZ must have ABS. Australia is going the same way in 2019.

When I got my n4 the only option was the ABS. As @Kiwi Rider mentioned that was one of my first upgrades. I will remove all of the ABS components once my race fairings get here. If you want even better front braking go with the BREMBO 4 piston caliper. I never had any issues with brake fade during the race. Remember you can always use a master cylinder off of any 600cc or 1000cc to give you even better braking power and save some money over a BREMBO master.

My abs light is on but a little piece of black tape over it and you never see it.
Sounds like your all over it mate, good work.

According to the specs sheet, the ABS unit adds about 4 lbs. to the bike. However, it saves me some coin with the insurance coverage.
4lbs! OMG :crying::crying:

·
Registered
55 Posts

Found this today, it may help you in your endeavor. I plan on doing the same!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think this should make the ABS light come on, unless you remove the tone ring/sensor from the front wheel?

Now, if you gut the rest of the system, all bets are off....

Believe it or not, you can get an ABS code just from the front wheel bouncing over bumps at 200 mph...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think this should make the ABS light come on, unless you remove the tone ring/sensor from the front wheel?

Now, if you gut the rest of the system, all bets are off....

Believe it or not, you can get an ABS code just from the front wheel bouncing over bumps at 200 mph...
I'm not planning on removing the ABS unit as I wouldn't be able to get a Warrant of Fitness/Road Worthy/MOT/Woteva it's called in your country for the bike.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't looked at the ABS line route, but what's stopping you from just getting a two piece setup? The ABS unit itself shouldn't make the feel spongy. I just got the brembo sa/sp pads installed, haven't had much time on it, but I think just getting SS lines and more importantly a better MC will be the actual fix.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't looked at the ABS line route, but what's stopping you from just getting a two piece setup? The ABS unit itself shouldn't make the feel spongy. I just got the brembo sa/sp pads installed, haven't had much time on it, but I think just getting SS lines and more importantly a better MC will be the actual fix.
That video I posted addresses that. He installed stainless steel lines all throuout.

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ + 1

Only problem (currently) is that I can't find the ABS set available for just the fronts. The full set (front & rear) is available in both ABS and non-ABS, but the individual sets only appear to be out for non-ABS.

I'll be looking to upgrade my fronts if they come available. If not, I'm sure I'll eventually break down and do both.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Curious:

Can you turn off ABS? Or remove the fuse?

I want to keep the ABS for street and off on track.
You just have to remove the fuse, use black tape to cover the light on the dash.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Curious:

Can you turn off ABS? Or remove the fuse?

I want to keep the ABS for street and off on track.
You just have to remove the fuse, use black tape to cover the light on the dash.
With a steel brake line, aftermarket lever and rbf600 brake fluid the front brake is not as numb, but just hardly. My initial impressions for general riding was disappointing. However, a lot less brake fad, more braking power and a lot more feel(from cutting abs) on the track was very noticeable. If you aren't tracking your 400 for more than 4-5 laps, then I think it's a waste of money and time to do anything to brakes.

I just bypassed the abs unit in the front. Saved $110 for non abs front brake line vs abs front and rear combo. Also install was an absolute breeze after bypassing the abs unit. I haven't touched the rear brake. I only use the rear in emergencies if I run offroad or the roads are suddenly soaked.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts