Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Apparently I did a dumb thing.

Two weeks ago I installed an integrated taillight. To install the taillight you need to remove most of the bodywork from the rear end. The rear seats locking mechanism is on the left side bodywork and I couldn't see an obvious way to disconnect the wire on the backside of it so I just kinda left that particular piece hanging off the bike while I did my install. In doing so it appears I may have stretched out or kinked the cable in such a way that now that everything is assembled back together I can't remove the rear seat!

So my question is this: how the **** do I go about getting under there to manually open it? So far in working on this bike (my first) I've had to pop both seats off to access the hardware that needs to be removed to get fairings off. Anybody know a trick to get myself enough access to get a pair of long needle nose pliers or something in there to tug on that cable to release the seat?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey everybody,

Apparently I did a dumb thing.

Two weeks ago I installed an integrated taillight. To install the taillight you need to remove most of the bodywork from the rear end. The rear seats locking mechanism is on the left side bodywork and I couldn't see an obvious way to disconnect the wire on the backside of it so I just kinda left that particular piece hanging off the bike while I did my install. In doing so it appears I may have stretched out or kinked the cable in such a way that now that everything is assembled back together I can't remove the rear seat!

So my question is this: how the **** do I go about getting under there to manually open it? So far in working on this bike (my first) I've had to pop both seats off to access the hardware that needs to be removed to get fairings off. Anybody know a trick to get myself enough access to get a pair of long needle nose pliers or something in there to tug on that cable to release the seat?
I came up with a solution for you that wont damage your plastic fairings or seats and will take about 4 minutes.... I removed my seats in hopes of an easy fix and I have it but will have to wait till after work tomorrow during the day to do all the math properly, Hope your not in a rush, Or maybe someone else has or can come up with a quick fix tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take your time, I'm in no rush. I just know I'm going to need to get in there eventually.

Sounds promising though, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Take your time, I'm in no rush. I just know I'm going to need to get in there eventually.

Sounds promising though, I really appreciate it!
Done deal...

Easy job man. Heres the Video and Directions below..

First you need to drill a 1/8" Hole below your seat just above the tire, Make a mark 2-3/8" back from the license place holder brackets rear edge... Then mark 2-3/4" from the left seam " viewed from the rear of the bike" - See photos.

You can use a long 6" X 1/8" drill bit to both drill the hole and open the lock, or drill the hole and use a 6" or 7" x 1/8" steel rod. Measure between 3-3/8" to 3-1/2" down the rod and tape it off leaving about 3-1/2" of the rod exposed. too much longer and you'll pass the lock cam hitting unmovable metal, if its too short you'll hit air. unless your plastics deflecting - but this is a good starting point.

Your only drilling through about 3/32" inch of plastic and should be open air strait up from there. Push the rod in up to the tape line holding it 90 degrees to the surface you drilled through as shown in the video. the spring is very light and does not require allot of pressure to move. You will be unlocking the cam by moving the rod inside the bike to the left which is done by moving the rode on the outside of the bike to the right. see photos and video.

When you feel like your hitting something solid and its moving your in the right spot. you will need to pull up on the seat with a little bit of pressure as you do this. and eventually you will pop it open. Good luck.. if you have questions or need a better photo just ask.

When your all done just use some black silicone to close the hole - Hope this helps ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see a video in your post for whatever reason but the pictures and diagram pretty much spell out what I need to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I probably won't be able to get to try it out for another 3 or 4 days but I will be sure to keep you updated on how it goes!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't see a video in your post for whatever reason but the pictures and diagram pretty much spell out what I need to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I probably won't be able to get to try it out for another 3 or 4 days but I will be sure to keep you updated on how it goes!
I wasn't happy with the first video, It was a little dark so I pulled it and made a new one... Its been reposted and you should watch it before tackling the job. If it works out for you, you owe me a cheeseburger....

I'm kinda surprised no one else stepped up with some additional ideas, I just went this route to avoid bending or breaking something.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Lol someone from Canada clicked thumbs down on the video...
One of my own personal policies when watching Youtube clips is not to look at the responses/comments below it. Esp if it's related to motorcycles, it just gets me wound up every time.
A lot of them are just complete and utter ignorant simpletons with nothing better to do than troll.
:blowup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wasn't me.. I hit like to offset ? I bet over the next couple years your video will be very handy for people in a panic
Haha thanks man....

One of my own personal policies when watching Youtube clips is not to look at the responses/comments below it. Esp if it's related to motorcycles, it just gets me wound up every time.
A lot of them are just complete and utter ignorant simpletons with nothing better to do than troll.
:blowup:
I wasn't really worried bout it, It doesn't qualify as a good or bad video, I didn't put measurements in the video where to drill the hole - I linked to this forum for the Instructions and Measurements for that. I'm betting thats why I got the thumbs down...!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally had a chance to spend a few minutes working on my bike.

Drilled the hole exactly where you indicated and had the seat off in under 30 seconds!

Thanks again for all your help, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will put this quick tutorial to use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts