Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all the plastic off my bike but I am unable to locate the idle adjustment screw.
Is there one or is it controlled by the ECU?

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Being EFI and not a carbureted bike I would not expect there to be idle adjustment. This is generally controlled by the ECU and is adjusted by re-flashing.
Just curious, were you wanting to increase or decrease it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Being EFI and not a carbureted bike I would not expect there to be idle adjustment. This is generally controlled by the ECU and is adjusted by re-flashing.
Just curious, were you wanting to increase or decrease it?

I wanted to lower it a bit. On my CBR1000RR there was an idle adjustment knob and that bike was fuel injected as well.

There is a throttle body stop screw with a lock nut but it looks like a pain to get at and adjust.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I wanted to lower it a bit. On my CBR1000RR there was an idle adjustment knob and that bike was fuel injected as well.

There is a throttle body stop screw with a lock nut but it looks like a pain to get at an adjust.
Going for that 'lumpy cam' sound perhaps? I like a low idle sound too.
Dont find this bike too bad once warm but my CBR300 definitely idled too high and it bugged me. Must admit I never investigated an adjuster though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have to agree with KiwiRider. IMHO, Arbitrary turns of a screwdriver and listening for a sweet spot in the idle tone are bound to come to no good end when working on EFI and ECU controlled bikes. At least for me. My hands no longer work well and I can't hear anything but a constant high pitched ringing. For years, I got away with such foolishness diddling away on the Bing Carbs on my '83 BMW. But, today's bikes are another story. So, for the biggest part, my diddling days are over. :crying:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have to agree with KiwiRider. IMHO, Arbitrary turns of a screwdriver and listening for a sweet spot in the idle tone are bound to come to no good end when working on EFI and ECU controlled bikes. At least for me. My hands no longer work well and I can't hear anything but a constant high pitched ringing. For years, I got away with such foolishness diddling away on the Bing Carbs on my '83 BMW. But, today's bikes are another story. So, for the biggest part, my diddling days are over. :crying:
ah yeah i could see that i just wanted an easy way to increase idle for practicing slower wheelies... seems to be a flash is the only way :crying:

·
Registered
38 Posts
you guys don't have a simple adjustment knob? My Ninja 300 has a little black knob down by the throttle bodies that you turn to adjust idle up or down. Would think the 400 would have a similar setup.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
attached a pic, it's on the left side of bike hanging below throttle bodies
Nah nothing as flash as that it appears. Hard to see properly with the side covers on holding a pen light though.
So I went to the service manual and found this under the Periodic Maintenance section:

Idle Speed Adjustment
NOTE ○This motorcycle is equipped with the idle speed control valveactuator. Theidlespeedisadjustedautomatically at the specified value (1 300 ±50 r/min (rpm)) by the idle speed control valve system. Therefore, it is not necessary to adjust the idle speed normally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts