Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see slip ons anywhere from $50 to $500.........................anyone try one of the cheaper ones? I saw this on amazon for $70.......is this a waste of time?

I realize that most here recommend the $400 models.....and I'm sure they are better. But....I just bought this motorcycle that I love, but don't want to start throwing money at.

Sooooo, my question is really, what is better about the $400 models? Are the cheaper models total junk? Has anyone tried them, or do you all have the $400 models.

If I have to pay that kind of money, I'll suffer along with the stock pipe that I have. If I could get reasonable improvement with the one below...... I would.

Maybe there is a downside with the cheaper ones? Performance, sound, rust/longevity.......just looking for the actual reason people don't like them......

https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle...apovic+slip+on+exhaust&qid=1621525307&sr=8-30

·
Registered
417 Posts
So I see slip ons anywhere from $50 to $500.........................anyone try one of the cheaper ones? I saw this on amazon for $70.......is this a waste of time?

I realize that most here recommend the $400 models.....and I'm sure they are better. But....I just bought this motorcycle that I love, but don't want to start throwing money at.

Sooooo, my question is really, what is better about the $400 models? Are the cheaper models total junk? Has anyone tried them, or do you all have the $400 models.

If I have to pay that kind of money, I'll suffer along with the stock pipe that I have. If I could get reasonable improvement with the one below...... I would.

Maybe there is a downside with the cheaper ones? Performance, sound, rust/longevity.......just looking for the actual reason people don't like them......

https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle...apovic+slip+on+exhaust&qid=1621525307&sr=8-30
I get the 400 mufflers because I like the quality and name brand but I don't see anything wrong with going with a 70 dollar knockoff if that's what your budget allows.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I don't have any experience w/ the cheaper ones, butt I've read on here where people have trouble w/ them rusting and falling apart. You basically get what you pay for; and Acrapovic will last. Delkevic are good quality and reasonably priced; prolly the best value for slip on or full exhaust.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I have an Akrapovic knockoff, watched the reviews and there was like 2 HP difference, I gave 68 for mine, sounds great. Just make sure you buy one with the mid-link pipe included. You'll need a set of spring hook pullers.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I bought the $70 one on Amazon a couple weeks/months ago, I don’t totally remember. The reason I bought it was because I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that I didn’t know if I would like or not. So far the only problem I had with it was assembly. The connector pipe that comes with it is too small to fit around the pipe on the 400. I had to buy a tail pipe expander and work with it to fit it on properly. Like the others said, you get what you pay for. I plan on upgrading to something more expensive once I figure out which slip on I like the sound of best. But so far I’m happy with the $70 Amazon one. I’m not sure how long it’ll last, but it’s a big improvement from the stock exhaust!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Akrapovic knockoff, watched the reviews and there was like 2 HP difference, I gave 68 for mine, sounds great. Just make sure you buy one with the mid-link pipe included. You'll need a set of spring hook pullers.
Was that an increase or decrease in HP? Also, what do the pullers do? The stock doesn't have it as far as I can see. Did you have to modify the size of the pipe? And.....could you send me the link or exact name of the one you bought?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts

Cant go wrong with Musarri!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take a look at Hotbodies, they have some cheaper units but they will be on the loud side, STG has a very good sale going on now.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Cracked welds is a common issue with the cheapies. The thickness of the metal is not as great. But hey if u get a couple of years out of it for 70 bucks then your not going to shed tears if it falls apart. Like Banjo said, Delkevic is a good compromise between the lesser quality ones and the high price ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have a slip-on from m4 for a 2019 ninja that I am selling it's in mint condition literally brand new was installed and then taken off because I upgraded to a 636. I have all legit paperwork I paid over $400 for it and it's just sitting here collecting dust in its original box. Not looking to get too much it literally only has one ride under its belt. Looking to get $275

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a slip-on from m4 for a 2019 ninja that I am selling it's in mint condition literally brand new was installed and then taken off because I upgraded to a 636. I have all legit paperwork I paid over $400 for it and it's just sitting here collecting dust in its original box. Not looking to get too much it literally only has one ride under its belt. Looking to get $275

·
Registered
2 Posts

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Slip on Exhaust system With Muffler Compatible with Kawasaki ninja 400 Z400 2018 2019 2020: Automotive

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Slip on Exhaust system With Muffler Compatible with Kawasaki ninja 400 Z400 2018 2019 2020: Automotive
I don’t think you have to go ebay/shenanigans cheap but you also don’t have to go $400-500 for nice.
Bought the Leo Vince LV10 from STG for $289.95. Cake easy install, great quality, great look and even better sound.

kawasaki_ninja_400_leovince_lv10_carbon_slip_on_exhaust__18953.1619018070.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t think you have to go ebay/shenanigans cheap but you also don’t have to go $400-500 for nice.
Bought the Leo Vince LV10 from STG for $289.95. Cake easy install, great quality, great look and even better sound.

View attachment 18716
That is good value fore sure, looks smart.. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts

Check out the Leo Vince line of exhausts. There’s expensive ones on there but there is also pretty inexpensive ones. They’re fantastically made and they sound amazing.

·
Registered
145 Posts

I would stay away from the cheap ones. I tried the Amazon cheap exhaust. That lasted one month exchanged it for a new one that one lasted two weeks. 1000 miles, and 500 miles for the second one. Then I tried a Delkevic, about $120 slip on. And that one lasted about eight months, for me that was about 10,000 miles. And all three had welds crack and the metal fatigued in various stress point places. I would not recommend any of the cheap ones if you plan on doing miles or want them to last many years. I was commuting with the bike so I’ve got a lot of miles on it and was able to quickly test those three exhaust pipes…

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would stay away from the cheap ones. I tried the Amazon cheap exhaust. That lasted one month exchanged it for a new one that one lasted two weeks. 1000 miles, and 500 miles for the second one. Then I tried a Delkevic, about $120 slip on. And that one lasted about eight months, for me that was about 10,000 miles. And all three had welds crack and the metal fatigued in various stress point places. I would not recommend any of the cheap ones if you plan on doing miles or want them to last many years. I was commuting with the bike so I’ve got a lot of miles on it and was able to quickly test those three exhaust pipes…
Good first hand advice there. What are you running on your bike now?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts