Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my N400 to the track on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on weather. My little bro will film with my drone I will post up some videos of the 400 on the track.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never tried riding track before. Did you take a course or just learned from riding over time?
I have a lot of friends that do track they got me started and helped me learn. I am not a pro, this will be my first year of actual racing. I dont expect to win the championship, I just want to have fun and say I have done it. Bucket list another one crossed off. Even if you dont go to the track to race it is the safest place to learn your bike, how to handle it and improve your street riding.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really disapointed, got the bike loaded up drove 94 kilometers to the race track only to find out they are closed until Thursday. FML waste of time. Here she is loaded

At night loaded ready to go

After turning around and driving back home :(

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Really disapointed, got the bike loaded up drove 94 kilometers to the race track only to find out they are closed until Thursday. FML waste of time.
That sucks big time. Had a similar thing happen to me when I first started taking my CBR250 to the track about four years ago. I had booked in for the novice class for a Sunday meeting they were holding. I got up early and rode the 160km to be there on time. When I got there the gates were locked and the place deserted. They had changed the day to Saturday and nobody rang me to let me know even tho I had entered and they had all my details. So I turned around and rode another 100 miles home again but man was I pissed off! :mad:
So I know how ya feel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had to turn around. The organizers for these events needs to be better with membership management because this is ridiculous. At least an email would have been nice in this day and age.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sucks you made the trip for nothing, but at least the bike got to spend some time in the sun. Are you planning on going back later this week? Perhaps a quick phone call prior to leaving aha. That's sweet that you plan on getting some drone footage, look forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sucks you made the trip for nothing, but at least the bike got to spend some time in the sun. Are you planning on going back later this week? Perhaps a quick phone call prior to leaving aha. That's sweet that you plan on getting some drone footage, look forward to seeing it.
I should have called, normally I do was in such a rush I forgot too. I am going back to work so no footage until April.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a lot of friends that do track they got me started and helped me learn. I am not a pro, this will be my first year of actual racing. I dont expect to win the championship, I just want to have fun and say I have done it. Bucket list another one crossed off. Even if you dont go to the track to race it is the safest place to learn your bike, how to handle it and improve your street riding.
I hate you a little bit. This is the post that actually got me wondering about tracking, but I don't really have knowledge of anything track related.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I hate you a little bit. This is the post that actually got me wondering about tracking, but I don't really have knowledge of anything track related.
Do you live near a track? Make some inquiries to see what's going on there track day wise. It will either be being run by a motorcycle club or some sort of private track day outfit.
Go for it mate, nothing to lose and you may find you enjoy it!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to your local track, everyone I have met at the track are really friendly. Most give free advice some will charge you to teach you. It's the safest place to learn your bike and hone your skills.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you live near a track? Make some inquiries to see what's going on there track day wise. It will either be being run by a motorcycle club or some sort of private track day outfit.
Go for it mate, nothing to lose and you may find you enjoy it!
Go to your local track, everyone I have met at the track are really friendly. Most give free advice some will charge you to teach you. It's the safest place to learn your bike and hone your skills.
I'm not sure if there's a local track, so I'd have to look into that. However, I do know that I don't have the cash to build a track bike if I do end up liking it lol

Edit: maybe if I could get my old 2008 250 running again...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure if there's a local track, so I'd have to look into that. However, I do know that I don't have the cash to build a track bike if I do end up liking it lol

Edit: maybe if I could get my old 2008 250 running again...
You don't have to have a track bike to go to the race track. My first ride on the track was on my 2012 cbr250r, my 2nd time was on my sports touring cb1000r. I got hooked on it after that. I invited a friend of mine that owns the same bike. We both decided that day that we would race in 2018. tomorrow April 22nd will be both of our first race. He will be riding an r6, I'll be racing my N400.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You don't have to have a track bike to go to the race track. My first ride on the track was on my 2012 cbr250r, my 2nd time was on my sports touring cb1000r. I got hooked on it after that. I invited a friend of mine that owns the same bike. We both decided that day that we would race in 2018. tomorrow April 22nd will be both of our first race. He will be riding an r6, I'll be racing my N400.
I'll look into it for sure, but I don't really know how to find any local tracks. When I was looking earlier, closest one was 1 hour from me (a go-kart track) with only one track weekend for bikes (sponsored by Evolve GT)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thought about doing a track day. After looking into it the requirements are:

all glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be removed or taped over.

No side stands in the advanced group.

Riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, Engine Ice, Motul, Red Line, and VP.

Wheel balance weights must be well secured and duct taping is required.

License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

Advanced riders only must safety wire oil drain plugs, oil filter, and oil fill caps.

Just seems like allot since I will have to ride my bike to the track and is kind of discouraging. I'm not even sure if wearing jeans is ok. Maybe I just need to go over there one day and talk to someone.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Thought about doing a track day. After looking into it the requirements are:

all glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be removed or taped over.

No side stands in the advanced group.

Riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, Engine Ice, Motul, Red Line, and VP.

Wheel balance weights must be well secured and duct taping is required.

License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

Advanced riders only must safety wire oil drain plugs, oil filter, and oil fill caps.

Just seems like allot since I will have to ride my bike to the track and is kind of discouraging. I'm not even sure if wearing jeans is ok. Maybe I just need to go over there one day and talk to someone.
This is pretty standard for most tracks apart from the specified coolant. I wonder if they actually check that??

Because you wont be in the advanced section first time out it's actually not that bad the list of requirements.
Basically you ride to the track on your bike with a roll of electrical tape and maybe some basic tools under your pillion seat. When you get there you tape over your headlights, tail light and indicators and most people unbolt their mirrors (its only four allen head screws) or tape over them with an X pattern. Put some duct tape over your wheel balance weights and plate nuts at home before you leave too.

That's it, 10 minutes worth of taping and optional unscrewing.
Dont let it put you off! :grin:

But yeah, look into that coolant thing, it seems a bit harsh for a track day.

Oh and ask about the dress code too, you may find jeans don't cut it. Personally i think this is a good thing from a skin saving point of view.

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ Jeans are NOT OK, regardless of what the track organization requires.
Ask some questions though, most of the track days around here are attended by a vendor who rents race suits for the day at pretty reasonable rates. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Riding on track, doing a track day, learning from instructors and mastering your craft will make you and your bike faster than dumping $3000-$5000 into your bike.

I consider street riding as a survival sport, you get to have the initial feelings of what riding is all about, you go from point A to B hoping not to be run over by trucks and SUVs, get lucky and hit a couple of favorite curves, get to accelerate in a straight line whenever possible, but thats IT.

Riding on the track, whether at expert pace or beginner, will initially show you everything you are doing wrong, and gradually (within the same day) you will start picking up techniques that will make you a real rider. One that can feel the front end wash out, one that can "read" the tires under him/her, and most importantly one who knows the real limits of his/her own abilities and that of his/her bike.

It is by far the best thing you can do for yourself, if this "motorcycle thing" is something you feel is important to you and you are one of this people who like to do things well and master their craft.

I spent 25 days on street before doing my first track day, at the time (1993) I thought it was too early and I was scared out of my mind, it was the BEST thing I ever did.

Good luck and ride safe

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^^ SOOOO Much this...

I had almost 20 years on the street as well before my first track day and still can't believe what a completely humbling experience it was. I "thought" I could ride...

Until you're in that environment, you really have no idea what yourself or your bike are capable of.

If you're not comfortable taking your own bike, or don't have a track nearby, check out something like California Superbike school. It travels to many tracks and you can even rent / ride one of their bikes.

</Soapbox>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts