Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
He’s not wrong. ^^ Too many beaches and twisty mountain/canyon roads too. :devil:

Beaches can be found all around the west coast and east coast though as well, plus in the SE around the Gulf. Mountain and canyon roads are fun there, but you have to get through all the BS traffic to get there depending on where you live. Every time I'm in LA, I age much faster and lose more hair from the frustration of constantly being stuck in traffic lol

Also, Colorado has even nicer mountain roads....just sayin ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Late to the party but mite as well join in to :)

Currently having 3 weeks of hot sunny weather and 28-30C, or mid 80s in the F scale, Humid and to hot for my liking, though early morning is a nice time to ride in full gear...

Tai MC,
I just watched your night commute 2 part vid, How far, and how long you spend commuting each way to work there.? Holly smoke, we don't have Highways/Freeways like that, to many corners an single lane country roads here thank God, for me, upper central north island, city of about 200,000, out of the city onto country roads takes all of 5 mins...
From a newbe rider to commuting like you are in a short space of time is pretty impressive girl, you take care out there :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Currently having 3 weeks of hot sunny weather and 28-30C, or mid 80s in the F scale, Humid and to hot for my liking, though early morning is a nice time to ride in full gear...

Tai MC,
I just watched your night commute 2 part vid, How far, and how long you spend commuting each way to work there.? Holly smoke, we don't have Highways/Freeways like that, to many corners an single lane country roads here thank God, for me, upper central north island, city of about 200,000, out of the city onto country roads takes all of 5 mins...
From a newbe rider to commuting like you are in a short space of time is pretty impressive girl, you take care out there :)

The really big cities here in the US are nuts. I know people who live or lived in places like Los Angeles or Chicago who commute more than an hour each way to get to work...every single day! I was just talking to someone that I work with from LA a couple of weeks ago who told me her commute is 1.5 hours each way. So she spends 3 hours every day in the car just to work and back. And it's not even that far away when you look at the distance. Probably around 25-30 miles or so, which is still well within the metropolitan area, and most of it is on highways. That's nuts! And I was complaining about my 25-minute commute lol

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
The really big cities here in the US are nuts. I know people who live or lived in places like Los Angeles or Chicago who commute more than an hour each way to get to work...every single day! I was just talking to someone that I work with from LA a couple of weeks ago who told me her commute is 1.5 hours each way. So she spends 3 hours every day in the car just to work and back. And it's not even that far away when you look at the distance. Probably around 25-30 miles or so, which is still well within the metropolitan area, and most of it is on highways. That's nuts! And I was complaining about my 25-minute commute lol
My wife went from 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way commuting from Marina del Rey to USC Hospital just east of downtown, 23 miles, to 40 minutes commuting with her Ninja. She just gained 3 hours of her day back which is pretty significant while working 12 hour days. When she started that job 25 years ago, the drive was about an hour. She has put 10,000 miles this year on her bike, mostly lane splitting in bad traffic. The Ninja has been a great bike for her.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
My wife went from 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way commuting from Marina del Rey to USC Hospital just east of downtown, 23 miles, to 40 minutes commuting with her Ninja. She just gained 3 hours of her day back which is pretty significant while working 12 hour days. When she started that job 25 years ago, the drive was about an hour. She has put 10,000 miles this year on her bike, mostly lane splitting in bad traffic. The Ninja has been a great bike for her.
Wow that route must be just one big grid locked car park huh.
Great that the mighty N400 has saved her day literally.

I wont tell you how ridiculously short my commute is, suffice to say it's not worth starting a cold engine for. Pedal power for me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I was in Atlanta a lot I would commute 15 miles and it would take 45 minutes. Down in the country I travel 26 miles to work in about 25-30 minutes. @Kiwi Rider I bet it helps living on an island. You can only go so far before you reach the end or run a circle.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wow that route must be just one big grid locked car park huh.
Great that the mighty N400 has saved her day literally.

I wont tell you how ridiculously short my commute is, suffice to say it's not worth starting a cold engine for. Pedal power for me.

That's what I want! I pretty much almost had that before I moved here on the east coast. My commute to work was 3.9 miles and it would take me usually 6 minutes. No traffic lights, just 2 stop signs along the way. Some days I wouldn't even see more than 3-4 cars during my commute. It was awesome. During heavy snowstorms it obviously took a lot longer since I'd have to slow down some....8-9 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
Before I sold the boat that I lived on, I worked out of the yacht club that I lived at. I would go many days without ever getting in my car or bike. Now I live about 2 miles away so I take the Ninja, it is a great way to start the day.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

Tai MC,
Thanks! My commute to work is 26 miles each way (~32 minutes). So I put about 52 miles on my commute to and from work.

There's also another ride I take when I'm not riding to work and it's about a 60mile round trip (have a
of it)
, but it's not bad. There's no "twisties"...just high-speed highways. Everyone drives fast in my city. So, for a lot of my speed, it's because I'm flowing with traffic.

They'll run you over here lol and it's because we have such long distances to travel that people tend to speed to cover such long distances.

·
Registered
150 Posts
99F in the bay today, a new record for Napier!
It was far too hot to get out for a ride, but I did do a training run of 22km :laugh:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nice balmy 35 deg F. We've had terrible weather so I wanted to go out while the roads were dry. Went for a ride with a full suit, two layers of underpants, two sweaters under the suit, heated vest over the suit, and then a big coat over that. Two pairs of socks. Heated gloves.

I was good for about an hour, then I started to get cold....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good Luck with that. Any time a state requires commercial trucks (not automobiles) to carry tire chains from Oct-April, you can rest assured there's always a chance of Sloppy weather/roads. And you'll be amongst those darlings during your trip. Good Luck though. Maybe the Sun will Come out Tomorrow for you. :smile:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good Luck with that. Any time a state requires commercial trucks (not automobiles) to carry tire chains from Oct-April, you can rest assured there's always a chance of Sloppy weather/roads. And you'll be amongst those darlings during your trip. Good Luck though. Maybe the Sun will Come out Tomorrow for you. :smile:
Nope, it didn't. 6-hour drive mostly through snow. Visibility about 1/2 to 1 mile for most of the way. I-90 cleared up while in Idaho and the first 20-30 miles in Montana, but other than that I was rolling in 4x4 through snow and slush. First time in this part of the country and didn't get to admire the views much because you could barely see anything lol At one point in eastern Washington I looked to my left and it was all white. Like I couldn't even tell where the horizon line was, had no idea which was land and which was sky cuz it all looked exactly the same lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks! My commute to work is 26 miles each way (~32 minutes). So I put about 52 miles on my commute to and from work.

There's also another ride I take when I'm not riding to work and it's about a 60mile round trip (have a
of it)
, but it's not bad. There's no "twisties"...just high-speed highways. Everyone drives fast in my city. So, for a lot of my speed, it's because I'm flowing with traffic.

They'll run you over here lol and it's because we have such long distances to travel that people tend to speed to cover such long distances.
Yep, I commute 46 miles one way, so almost 100 miles both ways, to work on my days I go into the office. Right at about 1-1.25 hours in the car.
Nice thing is we get 2 work from home days a week and going on a 3rd soon...well depends..sometimes if the week is really nice, I just ride into work so I can take a ride instead of being stuck at home.
On the motorcycle its about the same time there...but that ride home...I have mapped out a very nice route full of corners, and it can take up to 2-2.5 hours to get home, but that ride is such a nice one and it almost feels like most peoples Saturday rides. First 15 minutes I forgot that I was even at work............I have nothing to complain about on the ride home on a nice day :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Snow today. 3 to 5 inches predicted, about 3 or so on the ground already. My condo snow crew probably won't be out until it quits snowing later this evening. But we're having folks over, so I'll probably have to shovel the front walk, maybe a bit of driveway, just to keep it from being too slippery. Bah! :mad:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep, I commute 46 miles one way, so almost 100 miles both ways, to work on my days I go into the office. Right at about 1-1.25 hours in the car.
Nice thing is we get 2 work from home days a week and going on a 3rd soon...well depends..sometimes if the week is really nice, I just ride into work so I can take a ride instead of being stuck at home.
On the motorcycle its about the same time there...but that ride home...I have mapped out a very nice route full of corners, and it can take up to 2-2.5 hours to get home, but that ride is such a nice one and it almost feels like most peoples Saturday rides. First 15 minutes I forgot that I was even at work............I have nothing to complain about on the ride home on a nice day :)
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, where we moved one train station out each time we wanted a larger home. As a result, my father's commute took more than an hour one way. He came home, ate dinner, and fell asleep in his chair every evening. I decided that if I were to stay in a major metro area, then I'd prefer to have a smaller home and a more reasonable commute. But I wound up in North Dakota, with a 15 minute commute out to the open countryside (and an easier time making/keeping money) and life was good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The forecast keeps teasing--over the past few days the local 10 day forecast has included some warmer temps, including overnight lows above freezing. But each revision has been delaying the warm spell by a few days.

I keep telling Ninjette that its best to wait. We not only want the ice off the roads, but there's also been a salt buildup that wouldn't be good for her complexion. :)

161 - 180 of 192 Posts