Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's cold here 50s but sunny! The only bit of sun with no rain this week. So, I was able to ride today. Next week, they predict rain again.... :cry:
I'm happy that someone is riding!

But it's interesting how different one's definition of 50F in February can be based on their latitude. ;) That would be a remarkably warm February day here.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I finally got out on my 250 yesterday. It was partly sunny 43F degree day. Yes that’s COLD!I. I was dying to see how the bike felt with all the changes. New clip ons, rear sets, tires (Michelin RS 110 F and 140 R), steel braided lines, R6 throttle mod, +1 rear aluminum sprocket. Feels like a real sport bike now. I was out only for about 30 minutes. Under 50F, 30 to 45 minutes is all I can tolerate. It has been a pretty mild February so far and January was mild as well. I will be going out on these short runs to satisfy my fix until TRACK SEASON starts in April.
7CF9B4DD-7F9E-48FC-B947-9C8998CC2FC6.jpeg

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I finally got out on my 250 yesterday. It was partly sunny 43F degree day. Yes that’s COLD!I. I was dying to see how the bike felt with all the changes. New clip ons, rear sets, tires (Michelin RS 110 F and 140 R), steel braided lines, R6 throttle mod, +1 rear aluminum sprocket. Feels like a real sport bike now. I was out only for about 30 minutes. Under 50F, 30 to 45 minutes is all I can tolerate. It has been a pretty mild February so far and January was mild as well. I will be going out on these short runs to satisfy my fix until TRACK SEASON starts in April. View attachment 11785
The bike looks slick, good work. Is that thing street legal or were you being 'naughty'??
I nearly got sprung last week when i was out warming up the oil on my race bike so i could change it easily. Luckily the cop I saw was on a side street with traffic between me and him. I ducked down the fist side street i saw and never saw him again. Teehee :giggle:

·
Registered
278 Posts
As part of living with a condo association, it makes sense that they don't have the contracted snow crew come out for every little snowflake that falls. And condo owners who are OCD, have lots of time, and are still reasonably fit sometimes get out there and do it ourselves.

It snowed an inch or so overnight, and I decided to clear my front walk and drive when the crew hadn't been out by about 10 am. The fellow retiree next door did likewise. Then both of us Good Sam'd the walk and drive of a neighbor who uses a mobility scooter.

The snow crew showed up just as we finished. 🤬

·
Registered
278 Posts
I finally got out on my 250 yesterday. It was partly sunny 43F degree day. Yes that’s COLD!I. ... I was out only for about 30 minutes. Under 50F, 30 to 45 minutes is all I can tolerate.
My winter jacket and pants were designed by a small company that also makes snowmobile gear, Castle out of Green Bay, WI. The thermal liners are really warm. And I also have thermal windproof and waterproof gloves, a balaclava, and good layering including long thermal undergarments. That and heated grips let me ride for hours at near freezing. I'm not particularly robust, so it's not me. It's choosing the right gear for the job.

My problem mainly comes in when I need to add or reduce layers while on the road. Gas stations and rest areas just weren't designed with changing rooms. 😉

·
Registered
611 Posts
The bike looks slick, good work. Is that thing street legal or were you being 'naughty'??
I nearly got sprung last week when i was out warming up the oil on my race bike so i could change it easily. Luckily the cop I saw was on a side street with traffic between me and him. I ducked down the fist side street i saw and never saw him again. Teehee :giggle:
I admit I was being naughty! Another reason why I didn’t stay out long. Some nice twisty local roads very close to home. She will be legal this week, tickets are way too EXPENSIVE !
I will be teaching a few new riders and I wanna make sure my bikes are street legal, except the 400, TRACK ONLY.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My winter jacket and pants were designed by a small company that also makes snowmobile gear, Castle out of Green Bay, WI. The thermal liners are really warm. And I also have thermal windproof and waterproof gloves, a balaclava, and good layering including long thermal undergarments. That and heated grips let me ride for hours at near freezing. I'm not particularly robust, so it's not me. It's choosing the right gear for the job.

My problem mainly comes in when I need to add or reduce layers while on the road. Gas stations and rest areas just weren't designed with changing rooms. 😉
I have very good thermos, a heavy duty water/wind proof textile jacket, thick leather pants and winter Joe Rocket gloves. Temps 45 to 50 and sunny I am good for an hour or longer without a chill. But below 45, I am good for 30 to 45 minutes. Just long enough to get my fix. As we know the road conditions are not the best during winter. Usually salt and dirt and POT HOLES every where. I clean the bike after every ride and lube the chain, which gets to be tiresome. So far we have not gotten allot of snow this winter season so the roads don’t have allot of salt.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts