Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know, it's getting pretty quiet and boring when your starting weather threads on the forum :eek:
But I can't ride my bike cos it's 0 degrees (32F) outside. Well i can ride my bike but there wouldn't be any enjoyment in it and ice riding is best left to the Scandinavians i reckon Lol.

Here's a picture of my bike at present:
P1000831.JPG

We actually haven't had a harsh winter (global warming?) and there's only a few flakes of snow on my outdoor table:
P1000832.JPG

The mountains over the top of my neighbors house are nice to look at though, kinda mini Himalayas.
P1000833.JPG

I'm sure spring is not far away. 5 weeks today and I have my first race meeting for the summer season. Hard to believe.
Time to put another log on the fire.. :grin:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hot streak. We've had temps in the mid 90's and humid this week. I've been taking the bike out early in the morning like 7AM so I can ride in the low 70's and I'm usually home by 9AM. I wear a full leather race suit so it gets hot when the temp is in the upper 70's or higher.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot streak. We've had temps in the mid 90's and humid this week. I've been taking the bike out early in the morning like 7AM so I can ride in the low 70's and I'm usually home by 9AM. I wear a full leather race suit so it gets hot when the temp is in the upper 70's or higher.
Good on you for still wearing the good gear in the hot weather. Yeah I saw on the news that Europe has been having temps in the forties (104 +) as well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I still have 2 more weeks of the summer break in the race schedule. I'll be going until first weekend in October, then it's gonna be all over for me for about 6 months. It'll be boring, but I need some off time to save up money for next year lol A few weeks ago it was VERY hot here, but now it's cooled off a bit to high 80s (around 30 C).

The seasons being opposite will play out well for me when I do finally make it over to NZ. I want to take a trip there sometime in the next couple of years, rent a motorcycle (assuming I can find a place that does that) and just ride around for a few days exploring the country. I would do that in the winter when I don't have anything going on, which will be summer there.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seasons being opposite will play out well for me when I do finally make it over to NZ. I want to take a trip there sometime in the next couple of years, rent a motorcycle (assuming I can find a place that does that) and just ride around for a few days exploring the country. I would do that in the winter when I don't have anything going on, which will be summer there.
Sounds like an awesome plan. You wont have trouble finding a place to rent you a bike. I see tourists passing through town on rental bikes daily in summer. If you get down my way there is a cold beer, a feed and a bed awaiting you!
Here's a shot to inspire you:

South-Pacific-Tours-New-Zealand-Adventure-Rider-Radio-Motorcycle-Podcast-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds like an awesome plan. You wont have trouble finding a place to rent you a bike. I see tourists passing through town on rental bikes daily in summer. If you get down my way there is a cold beer, a feed and a bed awaiting you!
Here's a shot to inspire you:

View attachment 8591

That is awesome!! That's exactly why I want to do a trip like that. Just from what I've heard from other people and seen on TV or internet, NZ seems to have some of the best views in the world and would be great to explore that because it's not a crowded country. I'm not much of a city person (despite having lived in cities almost all my life). To me big cities are all the same, and I prefer to go explore outside of big cities.

Oh and thank you for the generosity! :)

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
Just starting the end of summer up in Colorado right now. Getting into the 30's at night. It's painful right now as I had to leave my bike in Los Angeles for the summer because I am too busy building a cabin right now. All these beautiful winding mountain roads and no bike (or time) to ride them. Always next summer!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK I know, it's getting pretty quiet and boring when your starting weather threads on the forum :eek:
But I can't ride my bike cos it's 0 degrees (32F) outside. Well i can ride my bike but there wouldn't be any enjoyment in it and ice riding is best left to the Scandinavians i reckon Lol.

Here's a picture of my bike at present:
View attachment 8585

We actually haven't had a harsh winter (global warming?) and there's only a few flakes of snow on my outdoor table:
View attachment 8587

The mountains over the top of my neighbors house are nice to look at though, kinda mini Himalayas.
View attachment 8589

I'm sure spring is not far away. 5 weeks today and I have my first race meeting for the summer season. Hard to believe.
Time to put another log on the fire.. :grin:
Aww they're sleeping :angel: And lovely view you got there!

As for me...
:tongue4:

I'll probably get a ride in Wed or Thursday, but I'm aiming to clean/lube my chain this Saturday...It's gonna be ridic hot so I gotta be mentally prepared for all that lol!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll probably get a ride in Wed or Thursday, but I'm aiming to clean/lube my chain this Saturday...It's gonna be ridic hot so I gotta be mentally prepared for all that lol!
Looks like your humidity levels are dropping off though, that's the killer huh. I only know this from trips north or abroad, we don't really get it here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks like your humidity levels are dropping off though, that's the killer huh. I only know this from trips north or abroad, we don't really get it here.
YUP...the humidity is a beast. It's like a steam bath wherever you go. Trees provide shade and some relief from the sun's rays...but not from the humidity. It's why I'm pretty much always dripping wet with sweat after my rides during the summer. It's really unavoidable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all

its been a very light winter in the north island of NZ defiantly global warming, hopefully is not just a delayed winter

a couple of 0c morning commutes nothing to crazy just can't wait for the rain to move on not a fan of it at all can't stand riding in it

Can't wait for spring to roll round to start clocking more kms on the bike

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just getting to the warmest part of the summer here in the LA area. 90’s F during the day (a few 100+), 60’s at night. At least a couple months of heat left, and usually pretty warm through October. I ride year ‘round, normally we get plenty of warm days mixed in all “winter” long here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK I know, it's getting pretty quiet and boring when your starting weather threads on the forum

The rest of the US had had a series of heatwaves including central Florida where my primary residence is. We are @ our small
summer place in North Carolina five miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and only had to run our A / C ~ a week this summer.
Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway is like the weather in San Francisco. You don't have to ride early in the morning because it is hardly ever hot. (But, watch out for fog.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very hot, over 100 for a couple of weeks but should cool down this week and back to over 100 on the weekend. But we have no humidity here, so its a 'dry' heat. Still, most riders here wear shorts and t-shirts. Anything else would make you pass out from heat exhaustion! A lot of people dont ride after noon or so, its just too hot! Two more months of this then things will cool down and riding will be enjoyable again.

Something to look forward to!

·
Registered
521 Posts
30* C plus humidity, so feels like 34. Have to tough it out with perforated leathers, no less. But used to it by now, loving this summer so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out the facebook group NZS B&B - its a place locals advertise their spare room/garage for other motorcyclists coming through who need a spot https://www.facebook.com/groups/310556369666526/

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hit triple digits in H-town today....I believe it was 101F (from what I heard on the news) with around 80% humidity. Heat index was 106F. I rode today, and I was perfectly fine on the highways. I didn't feel the heat until I parked at work.

Legit I got extremely hot in about 10 minutes after turning the bike off. I had to quickly move into the shade, remove my helmet and jacket, while drinking from my water bladder. I pretty much emptied it.

The ride home (@8:30pm) was considerably nicer with Temps being around 88F...the heat index still felt like high 90's.

@HTXKratom how are you keeping cool in this heat?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hit triple digits in H-town today....I believe it was 101F (from what I heard on the news) with around 80% humidity. Heat index was 106F. I rode today, and I was perfectly fine on the highways. I didn't feel the heat until I parked at work.

Legit I got extremely hot in about 10 minutes after turning the bike off. I had to quickly move into the shade, remove my helmet and jacket, while drinking from my water bladder. I pretty much emptied it.

The ride home (@8:30pm) was considerably nicer with Temps being around 88F...the heat index still felt like high 90's.

@HTXKratom how are you keeping cool in this heat?
Man that Houston heat and humidity is rough.By the time you get out of the shower and get in the car you are sticky. Still Houston is a great town and I have always had a lot of fun when I visit so its all worth it.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts