Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! Just popping in to say hi! Just picked up my 400 yesterday, I also own a 2004 ZX-6RR. Still trying to wrap my head around the break in procedure for this bike, trying to figure out how to stay under 4k for 500 miles lol.

I see I'm not the only 'Sconnie to register lately, GO PACK GO!

38649336_10155813965878519_8412258744221564928_o.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Check out the Break in thread

It's a good discussion, and member @AZFox seemed to provide the best knowledge. It all comes down to you in the end because there are so many opinions and articles to support both. I think the key whether you do a hard or soft break in, is to not rag the bike out; that's what I imagine a lot of people think us hard break in guys are doing. Maybe that's true for most but my hard break in was both deliberate and methodical, I waited until after 2k miles to crack my first wheelie :wink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This thing can do a wheelie?! It just feels like it crawls compared to my 600. 500 miles seems like it's going to take forever just putting around town.

I just discovered it has an economic mode lol..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wheelies thread
Can you tell I'm a huge fan of the forum's search tool? The other two forums I frequent are constantly having the search function break.

There's also a bunch of good videos on YouTube that show off how easy it is to get the front wheel up. This isn't like a 600RR, the clutch's large friction zone, and smaller displacement make it feel slow compared to a 600; but if this bike can't get your heart pumping a little faster, you might want to check your pulse :grin:

You've touched on the main complaint of members regarding the manual's break in instructions. It's not very practical, seems more or less a guideline to keeping new riders from dumping the clutch or riding recklessly from mile 0.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the break in post @AZFox states while in 3rd or 4th gear to pull a high load up to the rev limit Kawasaki recommends. How is this possible? For those gears to even be usable you'd need to be doing 30+mph, and by that point you're already grazing the 4k rpm limit. Don't lug the engine, buy vary rpms. That's almost impossible unless you stay in 1st gear and only go 10mph lol. It's like a catch 22..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wheelies thread
Can you tell I'm a huge fan of the forum's search tool? The other two forums I frequent are constantly having the search function break.

There's also a bunch of good videos on YouTube that show off how easy it is to get the front wheel up. This isn't like a 600RR, the clutch's large friction zone, and smaller displacement make it feel slow compared to a 600; but if this bike can't get your heart pumping a little faster, you might want to check your pulse :grin:

You've touched on the main complaint of members regarding the manual's break in instructions. It's not very practical, seems more or less a guideline to keeping new riders from dumping the clutch or riding recklessly from mile 0.
I've been eyeballing this bike for a couple months, which led me to this site so I've been lurking for a while. I've done quite a bit of reading and researching. Riding this bike is so effortless compared to my RR, it's kind of weird, but expected. I'm looking forward to getting the stock exhaust off, and getting something a little more throaty haha.

·
Registered
440 Posts
OMG..another black one.. its faster than the rest..but watch the corners when a green one goes by..

Welcome to the forums.. cheesehead helmets are optional..
Go BEARS!! :grin::nerd::grin:

Reactions: krombopulosryan

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
In the break in post @AZFox states while in 3rd or 4th gear to pull a high load up to the rev limit Kawasaki recommends. How is this possible? For those gears to even be usable you'd need to be doing 30+mph, and by that point you're already grazing the 4k rpm limit. Don't lug the engine, buy vary rpms. That's almost impossible unless you stay in 1st gear and only go 10mph lol. It's like a catch 22..
There seems to be some thinking that if don't do the 'by the book' soft break in then you have to do the hard break in which for obvious reasons people are wary/skeptical of. Probably better referred to as a hard run in than a BREAK in. Lol.
But there is the third option of the regular run in where you just ride the bike as you normally would on any other day. By the sounds of things this would suit you perhaps.
It's pretty much what I did and also what my dealer does with his own personal bikes when I asked him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There seems to be some thinking that if don't do the 'by the book' soft break in then you have to do the hard break in which for obvious reasons people are wary/skeptical of. Probably better referred to as a hard run in than a BREAK in. Lol.
But there is the third option of the regular run in where you just ride the bike as you normally would on any other day. By the sounds of things this would suit you perhaps.
It's pretty much what I did and also what my dealer does with his own personal bikes when I asked him.
This seems like the most logical thing to do. It's quite obvious that I shouldn't be smashing around the streets at 11k all day long. I figure if I ease my way up through the rpms and just be gentle, everything will be fine. My dealer didn't stress the by the book break in procedure either, they told me to ride it lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG..another black one.. its faster than the rest..but watch the corners when a green one goes by..

Welcome to the forums.. cheesehead helmets are optional..
Go BEARS!! :grin::nerd::grin:
Thanks for the welcome! I think I'm the only one in my area with a 400, so I guess that makes mine the fastest. ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts