Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
As an aircraft mechanic QA I would let these fly. There is a book that it used to regulate things like safety wire (AC43.13) and it states 7 to 11 twists per inch but the fact that you can pull over and put the kickstand down and look at the bike after as issue arises vs you know.... an airplane in flight, I really dont think it matters. Ideally you have the lowest bolt as the termination point which will then have the pigtail. The pigtails are bent back on themselves just so hands dont get stabbed. Its impressive how painful a safety wire stab can be. Think labor pains and they would be a close 2nd.....from what I have been told by the wifey....she has never been stabbed by safety wire but we do have 2 kids....so it obviously labor wasnt that painful.

· Registered
154 Posts
Automotive tire Engineering Auto part Motor vehicle Circle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

The top image is what happened after the pilots had 20 touch and go's with side slip landings. Tire hit real hard and the bearing race decided it was done. Loads of friction caused the brakes to overheat and melt things.
The bottom picture is from the plane engine swallowing a bald eagle.

· Registered
154 Posts
crap. Safety wire thread. Um... Uh..... great job for hand twisting. The very first twist is often called the lock twist and it supposed to be really tight. Its hard to get a proper lock twist by hand but with safety wire pliers the lock twist is pretty easy to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts