Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anybody have a tutorial on how to remove the tail light?

Thanks in advanced!

I haven't attempted to remove the tail light; however, I recently just got done with installing an aftermarket fender eliminator to remove that big out of place piece from the same area, and it didn't seem to be too difficult to work around there. It will requires time but be patience. Good luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No but it cant be hard,
I would think you get at the bolts under pillion seat
It is f-ing hard bro. I’ve tried to remove it today but can’t figure out how it’ll come out. There are 2 bolts attached to the frame that I can’t reach with any driver. It’s just at weird place under frame support plate which is welded. ?

I’m exhausted, will go to Home Depot and buy offset screwdriver tomorrow. My tool kit is very limited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have recently installed a motodynamic tail light. That was the biggest pain in the ass I have had in a while. There are only two phillips head screws holding it in, but some how you have to lift the light up off these two post things. Plus the plastic around the tail light is holding it in. I used a flat head screw driver a lot to get it out. Putting the new tail light in was just as much of a pain in the ass as taking it out. I probably spent about a few hours fighting with that light. Putting in the fender eliminator was much easier than that tail light.

I am guessing when it was built in the factory they had the tail light installed before having all the plastics on or something, because I see no way a factory worker could install that light in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just install the smoke motodynamic tail light and find out it's not difficult but time consuming. Took me about 2 hours for the job. Besides the body panels, I have to unbolt the tail tidy to get more room to remove/install the tail light.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have recently installed a motodynamic tail light. That was the biggest pain in the ass I have had in a while. There are only two phillips head screws holding it in, but some how you have to lift the light up off these two post things. Plus the plastic around the tail light is holding it in. I used a flat head screw driver a lot to get it out. Putting the new tail light in was just as much of a pain in the ass as taking it out. I probably spent about a few hours fighting with that light. Putting in the fender eliminator was much easier than that tail light.

I am guessing when it was built in the factory they had the tail light installed before having all the plastics on or something, because I see no way a factory worker could install that light in just a few minutes.
Yeah this really is a pain lol... I received my smoked light yesterday and tried to install it after work but it's such a time consuming process that it got dark so I put it off until the weekend :RantExplode: you really do need to get all the plastics parts on the tail off to do this properly because i couldn't even reach the part where the wires connect main wires coming from the bike since that part is like right under where the little flipout tray thing is.

If anyone knows or has seen a guide of to get those little plastic pins to pop out, please share! I didn't wanna force them as i was afraid I'd break it :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my motodynamics smoked tail light installed last week. After reading this thread i thought it was be hard. Remove the seat, 8 screws and pop. overall took me less than 30 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Because there still hasn't been any real attempt at answering kkindall's question I'm going to attempt to do a how-to after installing the Motodynamic tail light last night.

Mods - If there is a better place to post this let me know.

Before we begin - If you want to do this the right way (installing the bracket that comes with the Motodynamic light) this is much more than "just pulling out the old one and sticking the new one in". If you are looking at getting the Motodynamic light know that you will need to spend time and effort removing fairings. You cannot install the provided bracket by just removing the pillion seat.

WHAT YOU NEED:
3mm (3/32") Allen
4mm (1/8") Allen
5mm (3/16") Allen
Phillips Screwdriver (preferably long handled)
Wrench with 8mm (5/16") Socket and Extension Bar (might get away with no extension bar if you're very careful)

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
Electrical Tape
Magnetic Bolt Grabber (magnet on a stick)
Angle or 90 Degree Screwdrive
Small Adjustable Spanner (6-10mm jaws) or appropriate socket if you have a tail tidy that uses nuts with the stock bolts

//EDIT: See image in reply below (failed to upload)

THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE HAND
-Unless you have a very good memory it is always a good idea to have a labeling system for everything you remove from the bike (whether that's zip lock bags or poking everything through a sheet of cardboard)
-All of the visible bolts have clear washers on them. Be careful not to lose these when you remove the bolts.
-The light has a VERY tight fit which loosens after removing the bracket bolts. It is possible to remove the light without doing so but you run the risk of damaging something trying to wedge it out of the hole.
-There are several plastic screws (identifiable by their wide thread pitch). When reinstalling these it is a good idea to place them in the hole and then back them out until you feel them fall into the existing thread. They are designed to cut a new thread and will easily cross thread if you use too much force.
-Patience is key with this job. There are several steps where plastic parts could snap if you are not careful. Take your time to look at what you are about to do before applying force.

LETS BEGIN

Start by removing the pillion seat with the key under the left hand side (let me know if I'm going too fast for you). Then remove the rider seat by pulling on the tab tucked under the front right hand side under the pillion.

Next remove the plastic tray under the pillion. This is where the magnet comes in handy so you don't lose the pins. Hold the bolt in with one hand (or the magnet) and gently pull on the split pin with the other until it slides out. Pull the bolt out then do the same on the other side. The tray will now slide off the hinges.

----OPTIONAL----

At this point you can remove the rear fender. I found it gave me a lot more room to work with and honestly removing the light with that thing still installed might make the job a lot more difficult.
Unplug the wiring to the rear fender (everything coming through the square hole). Everything is either a different shape or is colour coded so you don't need to worry about labeling anything.
Using the 5mm allen loosen the 4 bolts surrounding the square hole and remove them 1 by 1 being careful to support the fender before removing the last one.
Feed the wiring back through the hole and pull the fender off.
Now throw that ugly mess in the trash and get a fender eliminator kit since you're installing an integrated tail light anyway :p

--------------------

REMOVING THE FAIRINGS

In order to get to the bolt holes needed to install the bracket we need to remove the rear most top fairing (that surrounds the pillion seat). Unfortunately, the fairings on this bike are arranged like scales where the front parts overlock the back parts. That means we need to start at the matte black fairings that are just below the fuel tank on either side.
Using the 4mm allen, remove the two bolts from this fairing (locations shown below in light blue).
There are 4 christmas tree plugs holding the fairing on. Get your fingers under the edged of the part and gently pull it away to pop them out.

Removing this will expose the top bolt for the fairing below the one you just removed (location shown below in yellow). Remove that bolt using the 8mm socket. Be very careful here as you will be swinging the wrench at the tank. Make sure not to get too aggressive and damage the paint.
Once that bolt is out, gently ease the 2 christmas tree plugs at the back of the fairing out. We aren't going to remove the fairing because there is enough play to get a screwdriver in underneath it which is all we need for the next step.

Gently pull the rear end of this fairing away and you will see a Phillips screw holding the next part in (location shown above in red). At this point you may want to put some electrical tape on the fairing you are pulling to protect the paint. Put the tape on the bottom of the fairing around where the screw is.
Take your screwdriver and remove the screw. The driver will be tight up against the fairing you are pulling on so be careful not to damage it.
Next, using the 3mm allen (the only time you will use this tool), remove the bolt on the pillion surround (shown below in red)

Then, using the 4mm allen, remove the bolt under the side rear fairing (shown below).

If you are working on the left side, remove the two Phillips head bolts holding the pillion seat latch in place and remove the metal bracket.

Now you need to remove the rear side fairing. This can be a little tricky because it has a small, forward-facing tab at the very back. I have tried to show it in the following image.

In order to remove this fairing you will need to gently pull out the front most christmas tree plugs (there should be 4 total, 3 to remove now) and with the rear most plug still in place pull the fairing back and twist so the back of the fairing is moving upwards. Gently ease the last plug out while watching the tab to make sure it clears the hole.

Next go to the other side of the bike and repeat the process thus far to remove all of the fairings on that side.

The last fairing to go is the pillion surround. This has 4 8mm bolts and 2 Phillips screws holding it in. Bolts are shown in red and screws in blue below.

Remove all of these.
Next, carefully remove the fairing by pulling towards the back of the bike. There are tabs on either side of the back that should slide out fairly easily.

Congratulations! The fairings are off. That's the easy part done...

REMOVING THE TAIL LIGHT

The tail light is removed through the rear of the plastics. Since the plastic hugs the light pretty well and because of its odd shape, this can get a bit challenging.

First we need to remove some bracing to make it easier to move the plastic around.
Remove the 4 Phillips head screws in the rear (2 attached to the frame, 2 attached to the bracket)
Remove the bracket that you just unbolted and remove the rubber part from it (if there is no rubber it may be stuck in the hole in the tail light). Transfer the rubber to the bracket supplied with the new light.

Unplug the light from the bike.

Next, we need to remove the two screws holding the light in place. They are located at the back of the light, toward the front of the bike and have large grey rubber grommets. This step may be best performed using an angle or 90 degree screwdriver. I managed to do it by using a lot of force with a normal long handle screwdrive hard up against the frame. Be careful as you can easily strip the screw heads here if you are putting to much pressure on a bad angle.
Once they are out you need to remove the rubber grommets from the light. I did this by pulling from the top with one hand while stuffing the grommet through the hole from the bottom with the other hand.
When the grommets are out, transfer them to the new light (yes, its just as much fun getting them into the new holes as it was getting them out).

With all that done, its finally time to remove the light...
I suggest pushing the light in slightly and applying some electrical tape to the top of each side (where there is already a clear tape). I found that these parts were sawing against the plastic during removal and needed extra protection.

Now the challenge is to fit the light out of a hole it is slightly too big for while getting the screw holes at the back over the top of the stalks that the screws were fixed to.
I spent a long time trying to find the best way to do this without damaging anything and this is the best I could come up with. Neither the bike or the light were damaged at the end of the process but my fingers were stinging for hours after this battle:

Push one side of the light in and twist while lifting the back of the light over the stalks, putting the corner of the light as far into the housing as it will go (before getting wedged between plastic and frame)
pull down on the bottom of the opening and pull the other corner of the light out. The plastic of the light that normally sits just inside the housing is slightly larger than the visible part that sticks through (so that it won't fall out and will sit snug). You will need to coerce it to leave the housing with some force.
Once the first corner is out, as long as neither screw hole is still stuck around a stalk, the rest should come out with a little pressure on the bottom of the housing. If you get to this point and a screw hole is still stuck over a stalk, go back and try again. It won't come out freely at that point.

Once the light is out insert the new one using the same method in reverse. The lights are the same dimensions so using the same process you just used will work to get the new one in.
Once it is in, install the new bracket by slipping it under the frame from the back, inserting the rubber end into the light, and screwing it into the holes the old bracket used.
Press the grommets at the back of the light down over the stalks.

TESTING
Plug the wiring in using the supplied diagram and some good old common sense.
Turn the key and check that the running light turns on.
Activate one indicator and check that the correct one turns on.
Activate the other indicator and check.
Press the rear brake and check that the brake light turns on.
Pull the front brake and check that the brake light turns on.

CONGRATUATIONS! Now all you have to do is put everything back in reverse order, go for a ride to feel better about yourself, and have a beer or two... or three...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1
Welcome to the forum Hojo.
I see you are from windy Wellington. Quite a gathering of Kiwis on here now.
Thanks for the welcome, mate.
I've been lurking since I got my 400 a few months ago and figured I may as well make my entrance with something big :p

NZ seems to be pretty well represented here aye!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, mate.
I've been lurking since I got my 400 a few months ago and figured I may as well make my entrance with something big :p

NZ seems to be pretty well represented here aye!
A little too well represented if you ask me, I think kiwi is handing out flyers at the local bike shop to help fluff the forum numbers from there...:grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts