Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about covers like cycleshell, but its expensive. I'll eventually buy it, but later. For now I was thinking of combining the 2 covers I have already have. 1 engulfs entire motorcycle top and bottom, and zips closed at the top. Small puddles develop at the bottom. I was thinking of adding my other regular cover and combine them. I'm scared though that water will still seep through, and I heard if there's no vent for water to escape, motorcycle will rust quickly. Is this a viable setup? What are some setups that ya'll have successfully used?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
421 Posts
My gut feel is you will want some kind of ventilation (like an open bottom) to keep the temperature and humidity in check... And a way for any water that does get in (somehow it always does) to drain out... Many years ago I just used a traditional cover with a cable lock thru the grommets on the open bottom...

The other thing I'd be scared of if the cover were really sealed up tight without ventilation is coolant and gasoline vapor leaving their tanks somehow and condensing on the inside of the cover and on the motorcycle itself as the temperature inside the cover fluctuates -- we had a post here maybe 6 months ago from someone who had something like that happen under his cover, messing up the finish of the outside of the tank or plastic parts... Here it is: Fuel leak please help | Ninja 400 Riders Forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you have a place to park the bike and looks don't count, use visqueen and maybe a colord tarp over the top. like rich said it has to have ventilation. i would drape a piece over the bike so it touches the ground all around and then go around the bike down low with a piece of twine. then do it again with a second piece. trim the bottom so it gets air. i have stored snowmobiles like that dozens of times and never had a bad outcome. winter storage may be easier on the bike than summer because of the low relative humidity .if looks count this isn't so good.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I do not have a garage, so during season I use a Nelson-Riggs cover (any good waterproof cover with ventilation will do). I also spray ACF-50 on the bike during season and before I put it in storage (a bit less though). I got the bike in August 2019 and, so far, I had only a couple of tiny spots where corrosion started and that was before I used the ACF-50. I ride in rain but last year I avoided it if possible (not always, after all a bike is made to be ridden not looked at) because I was too paranoid about rust. It also depends on your local weather: how often does it rain, is it humid, is salt getting on the bike, etc.

For winter storage I always kept it in a heated garage, after winterizing it.

PS: I also wash it about every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The local wildlife comment is very appropriate. Mice and rats LOVE to eats electrical wiring - something in the plastic insulation tastes really good to them. More generally, storing a motorcycle outdoors is never going to end completely well. Between wildlfie, insects, wind, rain, humidity, thieves, car drivers who don't look where they are heading or backing, and drunk or drugged individuals or groups with little common sense who knock your bike over or just want to it on it (and then drop it), there are just too many hazards. Try hard to find an inexpensive covered parking spot, even if it is not particularly close by or convenient. You'll rest a lot easier.

Jim G

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just wanted to say that someone living nearby has a big cruiser (not sure which, looks like a Honda to me). He's leaving it uncovered in rain, snow, whatever. I want to talk to him one day, I am curious if he either does not care about the bike or if he protects it some other way. From a distance, the bike looks fine.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja 400
74 Posts
Be a Man, covers are for girls and girly dudes! Antifreeze in the bike, that's it! How cold does it really get where you live?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I now have a garage but before that my last three motorcycles lived on a wood deck, under a car port. I used an ancient but ventilated motorcycle cover, in addition threw a generic tarp over the whole thing. I used clamps to hold it all in place through windy days. The system did as well as could be expected while living close to the ocean.

·
Registered
638 Posts
. . . The system did as well as could be expected while living close to the ocean.
Being close to the ocean raised another significant hazard: corrosion of the motorcycle due to the salt in the air from the ocean. In that situation, good ventilation and keeping the bike dry are both important.

Jim G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts