Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m interested in changing from my oem tyre to another and need to correct geometry to obtain mechanical grip.
In order to do this I need to find OEM shock Length, does anyone have any factory information on what the stock shock length is.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, is there any website that can show this information for rock hard evidence?
thanks again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unless you're doing something crazy with your rear tire diameter, or trying to shave a tenth of your lap record, waste of time and effort.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In all honesty man it’s the first road requirement when change to a new tyre.
Dave Moss Suspension tuner also states it’s the first road requirement, you can chew your tyres up to 40% faster without the correction of geometry also lose up to 40% grip until geometry is corrected for the new tyre brand or model.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ridiculously over thought for a bike like this which is kinda funny, but in the end if you're having fun. I certainly wouldn't get hung up on minor changes of geometry unless you're very seasoned and looking to tweak the feel. I've run significantly taller tires on the rear when racing, to get a larger contact patch at full lean. The impact of the geometry change is completely insignificant.
If you're a top level pro looking for that edge, then it'd come into play, otherwise its just about the bottom of the list of behind filling your tires with nitrogen.

On some bikes it'll mess with electronics package, that's a much bigger concern.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Thanks man, is there any website that can show this information for rock hard evidence?
thanks again.
You dont trust me? I'm hurt.... 😢

The OEM rear shock is sitting on the shelf in my garage as I have an aftermarket one fitted. I've measured it with a 'rock hard' ruler and I've been measuring **** for lots of years so I'm a fully experienced measurer lol. I can send you a picture of my trade certificate in Engineering machining if you like. ;)

FWIW I agree with what @Grantman says. You can overthink this stuff and listen to too many internet experts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry brother “how to find” I want to measure myself, I know how to do for any shock absorber as of now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ridiculously over thought for a bike like this which is kinda funny, but in the end if you're having fun. I certainly wouldn't get hung up on minor changes of geometry unless you're very seasoned and looking to tweak the feel. I've run significantly taller tires on the rear when racing, to get a larger contact patch at full lean. The impact of the geometry change is completely insignificant.
If you're a top level pro looking for that edge, then it'd come into play, otherwise its just about the bottom of the list of behind filling your tires with nitrogen.

On some bikes it'll mess with electronics package, that's a much bigger concern.
[SDSS REPLY]
You seem to be very ignorant.
When change over to a new tyre from OEM the road requirement is to correct geometry to obtain mechanical grip.

you don’t realise it’s not for racing at all it’s a safety feature.
The Motorcycle Manual Tyre Warning ⚠ is as simple as it gets and you want to say some💩 like that.
how dare you call the Ninja 400 something of what you say.
it’s worth doing to any bike when change over to a new tyre, Infact it’s the first road requirement when change to a new tyre.

here is the Professional that states it needs to be done. View attachment 12962

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Is this dude for real? I think we may have a new troll on our hands...

Would a second opinion with pics help? I can indeed confirm center to center eye length on the stock shock is 320mm...

And just FYI, the stock shock is non adjustable for length so your question, along with this thread is irrelevant. Or as you would say, “ignorant”...

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this dude for real? I think we may have a new troll on our hands...

Would a second opinion with pics help? I can indeed confirm center to center eye length on the stock shock is 320mm...

And just FYI, the stock shock is non adjustable for length so your question, along with this thread is irrelevant. Or as you would say, “ignorant”...
Calling me a troll because I want to see an accurate measurement from bolt to bolt?

I’m a track rider excuse me very much mate!
I actually do all my own suspension tuning.
The reason why I need to find stock shock length is so when I buy an aftermarket I know where the ride height needs to be for shock length.

I think you have some serious pet issues mate! Lay off the pipe.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Calling me a troll because I want to see an accurate measurement from bolt to bolt?

I’m a track rider excuse me very much mate!
I actually do all my own suspension tuning.
The reason why I need to find stock shock length is so when I buy an aftermarket I know where the ride height needs to be for shock length.

I think you have some serious pet issues mate! Lay off the pipe.
Judging from your avatar pic, I'd say you need to work on your riding style and body positioning more than a few MM of ride height...:p

But anyways, welcome to the forum. If you're gonna dish it out, you're gonna have to learn to take it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Judging from your avatar pic, I'd say you need to work on your riding style and body positioning more than a few MM of ride height...:p

But anyways, welcome to the forum. If you're gonna dish it out, you're gonna have to learn to take it...:rolleyes:
EXUSE ME GOD!
Who the fark think you are?

my old man was a professional back in France in the 70’s racing Kawasaki!!!
You have no clue mate, While others are bent over on there face knee sliding on a 636 I can overtake them not even putting a bloody knee down.

your the troll you make me sick.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
EXUSE ME GOD!
Who the fark think you are?

my old man was a professional back in France in the 70’s racing Kawasaki!!!
You have no clue mate, While others are bent over on there face knee sliding on a 636 I can overtake them not even putting a bloody knee down.

your the troll you make me sick.
Just your regular good natured friendly feller...

Anyways, you keep on doing you...Good luck with your .....uh, issues...:unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just your regular good natured friendly feller...

Anyways, you keep on doing you...Good luck with your .....uh, issues...:unsure::ROFLMAO:
Fairly simply question man how to measure the stock shock accurately.....
Instead get trolling about my body position or it’s not even worth doing...says a lot man.

actually most dudes in this group are happy to help sensibly....some are in it for there own personal identity 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
...my old man was a professional back in France in the 70’s racing Kawasaki!!!
... While others are bent over on there face knee sliding on a 636 I can overtake them not even putting a bloody knee down.
Well my old man was chasing sheep back in the 70's on a CT125!!!

and I'm grinding the tip off my shoulder blade going round everyone as I lap them twice in one race. Beat that!

Ps. Are you an Australian?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It is correct, the shock is 320mm eye to eye. Many of us have measured it already and compared our measurements and came up with the same. (Kiwi Rider works in a machine shop, so measurements require precision and accuracy, I trust his)

Also I found several sites/documents many moons ago that stated it was 320mm eye to eye. I cannot find them now without looking, but I am pretty sure a good little while searching these forums and you can find our posts about it.

There are a couple of threads about swapping a GSXR rear shock that has a alot of info in it...it might take some reading, cause some of those are 10-15 pages...but I think you might find either all the answers to your questions in there, or at least enough info to come up with those answers yourself, without us directly coming out and stating it in those threads.

I get the drive you have for the info you are seeking and the sense of accomplishment when you figure it out and feel confident that it makes a difference in your riding...so seek on, but also keep in mind, we are hear to help (since you asked the questions openly in this forum) some of us have been asking and seeking those same questions since this bike was released in 2018 and found out one way or another the end results.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts