Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. i need to replace my rear brake pedal, and i have been looking all over the internet for tutorials but cant find anything since the 400 is so new. I'd like to consult you guys before tinkering with it myself to figure it out. If anybody could direct me to a video, or even make marks to describe what to do on this picture, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
No idea, but you can probably find a Ninja 300 service manual and it should be very similar if not the same process.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'd have to have a look at it, it's dark out there at present. What were you wanting to do? Remove the pedal completely?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm a newbie when it comes to motorcycle maintenance and service but I plan learning how to do simple maintenance, repairs, and mods. I'll try to explain what I believe are the main steps to remove the rear brake pedal. There are many experts on this forum so I'm sure someone can provide better instructions and tell me if my instructions are off.

Tools: Hex Key and Needle Nose Pilers

1. Remove the 4 Hex bolts that is holding the footpeg/rear pedal. I think it's a 6 or 8 mm hex key.
2. Take off the heel guard with the two hex bolts
3. Slowly take off the remaining hex bolts to remove the footrest. Based on the pic you posted, there is a spring that I believe is for the rear brake light sensor when the pedal is pressed. This will need to be unattached carefully from the footrest. A little hard to visualize without pics.
4. There's also a larger spring that connects the rear brake pedal to the footrest. That spring will needs to be taken off in order to release the rear pedal from the footrest.
5. The last step should be to remove the rear pedal from the rear master cylinder. There should be a cotter pin? It may require some needle nose pilers to straighten out the pin and pull it out. Can someone confirm and will a replacement cotter pin be required or the same one be used? If we need replacement cotter pins, can someone confirm the part number/size?
6. Installing the brake pedal should be the same steps in reverse.

I'm actually planning to replace my brake pedal and attempt to do it myself. I dropped my bike in front of a parking garage recently. It's hard to explain exactly what happened but I somehow tipped the bike over on the sidewalk trying to roll it into the garage. After getting my bike upright again and then inspected the damage. The brake pedal was a little bent, part of one decal on a fairing was scratched, and right bar end was scratched up. The damage could of been worse. I was pissed off at myself and it would of been nice to have frame sliders just for this scenario. I bought some Shogun frame sliders last week and still waiting for it to be delivered.

I attached a couple of pics. The first is the bent brake pedal and the second you should be able to see a pin

The brake pedal is not bent that badly and still functions. The dealer said they could try to straighten it out but would not guarantee it would not break. I decided to buy a new pedal and try to replace it myself. I need to learn how to wrench on my bike anyway. I plan to keep the bent pedal as a spare part and maybe I can figure out how to bend it back without breaking it.

Would a blow torch be required to heat up the metal to bend out?

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. I’m in the same boat as you, I dropped my bike but the rear brake is bent enough to where I can’t use it really, and a chunk of the end of my brake lever came off. So I bought a new break pedal and aftermarket brake and clutch levers. The levers seem easy enough to put on.

I’ll give it a shot putting the break pedal on. I guess the worse case scenario is If I can’t figure it out then I still wouldn’t be able to use my rear break until I get it professionally put on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for that. I’m in the same boat as you, I dropped my bike but the rear brake is bent enough to where I can’t use it really, and a chunk of the end of my brake lever came off. So I bought a new break pedal and aftermarket brake and clutch levers. The levers seem easy enough to put on.

I’ll give it a shot putting the break pedal on. I guess the worse case scenario is If I can’t figure it out then I still wouldn’t be able to use my rear break until I get it professionally put on.
Let us know how it goes.

I'm in no rush to replace mine since it still functions but plan to replace it when I have some free time based on my work schedule.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
@aWanderlustSeoul Good job on the step by step there chap. I've reused those split pins before but for the sake of a few cents at a hardware store I'd put a new one in there. Dont get too bothered about genuine Kawasaki parts on small stuff like that.

Luckily the rear brake pedal on this bike is made of steel so a) is more likely to bend back without breaking as aluminium ones tend to do and b) if it needs a lot of tweaking can have heat applied no problem. You will just have to re-paint it tho. You can heat aluminium but you need to be real careful as it has a lower melting point than steel :eek:
Also it tends to crack easily too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts