Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd enjoy a bit of autumn riding today, but half way through my ride the wind picked up to about 25km/h. First time riding in those conditions, and the bike felt pretty unstable at higher speeds... It was manageable but I wasn't loving it. At what point do you guys call it a day?

25km/h = 15.5 miles/h

·
Registered
36 Posts
riding in the wind is something you get better at with some time and experience. Yeah, the first few times it will probably scare you but the more you do it the more comfortable it becomes. Remember to not keep a death grip on the bars..keep loose.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What they said. It also depends on other conditions too. I remember a recent ride where I went to meet a friend. I thought that I was used to the wind but:
  • I was riding late in the evening;
  • I thought I knew the road, but in fact was a different one from the one I was thinking about;
  • I had cars coming up behind me in a zone that was faster than I expected;
  • I was looking for a place that wasn't there (different road)
  • I was later that I wanted to be
  • I had strong wind gusts hitting me on the side.
Riding later in that same area with my friend, I felt safe, even if it was darker.

So all that made for a cocktail that made me nervous. Just keep in mind that you will get used to it but every ride is different and you may feel scared / inhibited riding even though you thought you were used to it. Other factors can come into play to make things more challenging or unpleasant.

P.S.
Try to get used to the wind, incrementally and under controlled conditions. Go to a road that you know and master on a windy day and ride slowly (I am not going into technique here: leaning against the wind, disociating upper and lower body etc). But basically get used to it in a safe manner. Then ride faster. This is what I did last year: I was avoiding highways during strong winds. Now, the same kind of winds don't bother me as much (except in special circumstances, like what I mentioned above). But first of all stay safe. Don't push it, it is better to stay at home and ride another day, if you have doubts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I started riding in North Dakota--those were typical afternoon winds there. Much above 48 kph (30 mph) and it becomes a lot of work. I've only once been caught out in higher winds than that, and I had to slow down to keep control. Actually rode in the shoulder on an interstate for a short bit, stopping wasn't an option as a big storm was coming and no shelter was in sight. The joys of riding in the Northern Plains. o_O

Practice makes perfect. You will get used to how the bike reacts to wind, and then it won't feel as out of control as it does at first. In addition to the good advice posted above, stay relaxed and guide the bike. Don't fight it. The wind will not blow you over (unless you fight your bike), but it will move you in your lane. So be aware of hills, bridges, buildings, woods and semis or other vehicles as they can change the wind suddenly. And don't expect to keep a true line on a gusty day--instead just keep in your lane while making constant adjustments. And leaning into the wind while turning the other direction can be disconcerting at first (eg, leaning to the right while turning left goes against all motorcycling instincts).

But above all:

·
Registered
804 Posts
IMO, the wind blowing over 25mph is not enjoyable. The 400 is a lite bike and you feel the wind more on it. Even on my 600 or 750, over 25mph is no fun.

·
Registered
840 Posts
By coincidence with this thread, the winds were up for Wisconsin today--15 to low 20s mph with gusts to the low 30s. Ms. Noire and I rode some country highways and then returned home through the city this afternoon. Ninjette Noire handles this wind as well as any bike I've ridden. OK, I haven't ridden that many bikes. :) Highways required concentration, but she kept within a third or a quarter of the lane as I guided her. There wasn't a problem below highway speeds. And my only aerodynamic mod has been a ZG touring windshield.

You can do this, just get out and practice. We're all noobs once. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well I guess it depends where you are lucky enough to live. In the narrow landing strip of a country that is New Zealand, and especially in the nations's capital city, Wellington, we regularly get winds gusting to 100kph (62mph). i won't claim it's enjoyable riding in such conditions, but if you want to ride in Wellington it's all part of the fun. Much less fun when it's raining as well, but still better than sitting in the inevitable traffic jam if you're commuting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
By coincidence with this thread, the winds were up for Wisconsin today--15 to low 20s mph with gusts to the low 30s. Ms. Noire and I rode some country highways and then returned home through the city this afternoon. Ninjette Noire handles this wind as well as any bike I've ridden. OK, I haven't ridden that many bikes. :) Highways required concentration, but she kept within a third or a quarter of the lane as I guided her. There wasn't a problem below highway speeds. And my only aerodynamic mod has been a ZG touring windshield.

You can do this, just get out and practice. We're all noobs once. :D
Same thing here yesterday. Came out of a short set of twisties in the woods to a large open field and blam I was hit with a very strong side wind. I prudently slowed down a bit for the sweeper ahead as I was already leaning at pretty good angle.

·
Registered
840 Posts
🤣🤣🤣........ didn’t say I won’t ride when it’s blowing over 25mph, just prefer to ride when it’s not!!! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
And it's the same with rain, temps, bugs, etc. ;) When you think about it, we put up with a lot just to go riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Recently, I been in winds gusting from 25 to 35 on both freeways and surface streets. It is intimidating at first and at that time I wished for the 650's extra weight. I am used to it now, but its the gusts that appear out of nowhere that can be really scary. Also, I learned not to pass semi trucks and avoid being near them during windy days. Stay safe!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Recently, I been in winds gusting from 25 to 35 on both freeways and surface streets. It is intimidating at first and at that time I wished for the 650's extra weight. I am used to it now, but its the gusts that appear out of nowhere that can be really scary. Also, I learned not to pass semi trucks and avoid being near them during windy days. Stay safe!
Riding in the wake of a semi is super scary!!! I try to pass them if possible or drop way back if traffic is heavy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
NZ's second longest bridge is nearby, Auckland Harbour bridge, 8 lanes. They don't start closing lanes until over 80km/h + winds. It very rarely happens, but it can certainly get gusty at times. There was damage recently when a truck got hit by a freak gust and toppled over.
I quite enjoyed the excitement when it got windy.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Ya gotta be careful in heavy winds, I recall be'in on my 650 lbs FJR riding from the lost coast in NORCAL, to Fortuna. Riding up a vally w/ 40 to 60 mph winds, 'n sometimes the wind's pushing yer bike down, 'n other times it's lifting it up. Sucks, cuz you gotta slow down on nice, tasty twisties. :cry:
Riding in the wake of a semi is super scary!!! I try to pass them if possible or drop way back if traffic is heavy.
You ain't never lie homey! :LOL:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts