Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was saying in other thread:
I was thinking about putting sliders and I was too late to do it! At exact 400 mile I did it. I was about to go home when I f***** said lets go up there and see what's up. I was at that really steep hill with a tight street making left turn and I couldn't reach the ground, I couldn't hold her and I am so mad at myself right now. The damage is only on the left fairing as shown on the picture.
How much will it cost to get fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Go to the Kawasaki parts catalog to find out the part numbers for the fairing/plastics and there's also separate part numbers for the decals. This is my first bike with fairings so I have no idea how much plastics typically cost but I'll take a guess at around $150 USD but I could be way off. I would do it myself and not have the dealer install them since labor is pricey.

The link to the parts diagrams is below.

https://www.kawasaki.com/parts

·
Registered
656 Posts
As I was saying in other thread:
I was thinking about putting sliders and I was too late to do it! At exact 400 mile I did it. I was about to go home when I f***** said lets go up there and see what's up. I was at that really steep hill with a tight street making left turn and I couldn't reach the ground, I couldn't hold her and I am so mad at myself right now. The damage is only on the left fairing as shown on the picture.
How much will it cost to get fixed?
Wow.. Sorry man, you gotta hate when that happens to a new bike. The stickers and plastic an easy $300+ bucks to replace....

Since their not cracked I personally would wet sand it to smooth out the scratches and maybe replace the upper sticker, The lower sticker is not bad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to the Kawasaki parts catalog to find out the part numbers for the fairing/plastics and there's also separate part numbers for the decals. This is my first bike with fairings so I have no idea how much plastics typically cost but I'll take a guess at around $150 USD but I could be way off. I would do it myself and not have the dealer install them since labor is pricey.

The link to the parts diagrams is below.

https://www.kawasaki.com/parts
Uh I hope it's gonna be 150... I feel like it's gonna be like 500-600. Any other recommendations how to fix them?

·
Registered
423 Posts
For the light scratches you can probably using something like Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY3SR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But I have no idea if the deeper scratches can be removed (sand, paint, polish?) but I'm sure someone on the forum will know.

My recommendation is to buy/install frame sliders in case something like this happens again and worry about replacing the plastics/decals later. It's just cosmetic. But if cost is no object then order both and replace/install at the same time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the light scratches you can probably using something like Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY3SR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But no idea about if the deeper scratches can be removed but I'm sure someone on the forum will know.

My recommendation is to buy/install frame sliders in case something like this happens again and worry about replacing the plastics/decals later. It's just cosmetic. But if cost is no object then order both and replace/install at the same time.
I did order the sliders, kinda late. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
423 Posts
No problem. The more experience riders here will be able to provide better advice on if the fairing can be repaired and how.

And don't be too mad at yourself...it can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just read Mr Mike’s suggestion in this thread. Sounds like a good option for you to try before spending money on new plastics.

·
Registered
656 Posts
@svetlozarbg Sorry I should have said depending on the amount of sun and temperature you bike will live in... black absorbs the most light and heats up... The wraps here in Vegas look good for a couple years then get a burnt look like PVC pipe.

They do make amazing looking fairing graphics kits you can buy and give your bike a custom look... their a pain in the butt to put on properly, and you'll still have to wet sand all your scratches out or they stick out like a sore thumb under the vinyl...

Good luck man.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@svetlozarbg Sorry I should have said depending on the amount of sun and temperature you bike will live in... black absorbs the most light and heats up... The wraps here in Vegas look good for a couple years then get a burnt look like PVC pipe.

They do make amazing looking fairing graphics kits you can buy and give your bike a custom look... their a pain in the butt to put on properly, and you'll still have to wet sand all your scratches out or they stick out like a sore thumb under the vinyl...

Good luck man.
Thanks man, hey bright side - now I know i can pick it up myself :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts