Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've only gotten one ride in so far but it is a big improvement. Also look at the Norton Motorsports "supersport" seat as those seem to be popular

·
Registered
467 Posts
Still there is something I already don't like, though I knew it in advance when I decided to buy this bike. At speeds over 50mph the wind strongly hits you, and at 80mph+ it becomes really unsafe, as even some reasonable "turbulence" can make you unstable... However, this is probably a good "feature" for the newbie, as it gives the understanding when you drive really fast. Next season I'll install the meter tall windshield to make fast driving more comfortable. Not necessarily it solves the issue, and if so, I'll leave Z400 to my wife who's going to get her license in just a month from now (when it's already off season here), and buy myself some 600-900cc sport.
This is also my first bike, I love it. I am planning to keep it for a long time as the license plate is cheaper here for 399cc and less.

I experienced the same thing that you describe. At first I was scared shitless when riding on highways. But it helped learn how to deal with the wind: tuck in, relax the shoulders and hold the bike with the knees.

That said, ever since I put some Ogio saddlebags on it, for some reason it became more stable. My brother's theory is that it may cut the airflow going under the seat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It was considerate of Kawasaki to use brakes and suspension (and seats!) that would encourage us to do upgrades. :rolleyes:
Given that this is the first bike for a lot of folks, the stock suspension and brakes are plenty for most of the people who will buy it. The stock N400 suspension/brakes would not fly on a ZX6R, but I think it fits the N400’s target market pretty well.

Stock seats almost always suck - I’ve had 20 bikes or so, and I’ve replaced the seat on over half of them. The stock seat on my old CBR1000RR made the N400 seat seem like a luxury couch cushion, there are plenty of other examples.

It was considerate of them to keep the price low (partly thanks to lower-priced parts) to ensure lots of sales and save some cash for those of us who upgrade such things so we can afford to do so. The large number of units sold ensures a healthy aftermarket for other parts as well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Still there is something I already don't like, though I knew it in advance when I decided to buy this bike. At speeds over 50mph the wind strongly hits you, and at 80mph+ it becomes really unsafe, as even some reasonable "turbulence" can make you unstable... However, this is probably a good "feature" for the newbie, as it gives the understanding when you drive really fast. Next season I'll install the meter tall windshield to make fast driving more comfortable. Not necessarily it solves the issue, and if so, I'll leave Z400 to my wife who's going to get her license in just a month from now (when it's already off season here), and buy myself some 600-900cc sport.
This is also my first bike, I love it. I am planning to keep it for a long time as the license plate is cheaper here for 399cc and less.

I experienced the same thing that you describe. At first I was scared shitless when riding on highways. But it helped learn how to deal with the wind: tuck in, relax the shoulders and hold the bike with the knees.

That said, ever since I put some Ogio saddlebags on it, for some reason it became more stable. My brother's theory is that it may cut the airflow going under the seat.
The wind is something every new rider has to train to ride in proficiently, just like rain or heavy traffic. Windy days could be challenging, and even a little scary, when I was a noob in North Dakota. I was caught several times on the interstates with 30 to 35 mph crosswinds. It wasn't fun.

I haven't felt that my N400 is any worse in the wind than my heavier 2007 Ninja 650R. In fact, I purposefully took Ms. Noire out on what passes for a windy day (now that I live near Milwaukee) just to compare on the open interstates and around truck blasts at 80 mph+. We did just fine. The only aerodynamic change of significance from stock has been my ZG touring windshield.

You can get used to the wind and how it acts on your bike over time. And when you do, a windy day won't feel unsafe any more because you'll understand how the unstable feeling is actually the bike stabilizing itself in the variable wind. So don't get a different but somewhat similar bike like a ZX6R thinking that it'll act very differently in the wind than a N400--I doubt that there'd be a significant difference in handling the wind unless you're changing to something very low and super-heavy.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z400
9 Posts
Bit of an older thread, But you've got another first time aussie here :)

Never owned a bike before or even ridden one, Had my motorbike learners for about 10 years before i even sat on a bike for the first time this year and got my licence. Bought a 2021 z400 from the local dealer. I've only put 600kms on it so far over the 2 weeks i've owned it.

I live on the north side of brisbane and work in the CBD, so driving a car is not an option (45-55 minute drive for 20kms? no thanks). I used to catch the train but its about 3kms of walking between stations and home/work, and another 25 minutes on the train! A motorbike seemed like the perfect solution, since my partner has a subaru impreza anyway which is well suited to being the family car :) and so far has been great! I am still new to lane filtering so really only filter when the traffic lights are red and all cars infront of me are stopped and have no gaps to jump lanes, but even that has got my travel time to work down to about 30-35 minutes, which is great!

I am loving my z400!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Bit of an older thread, But you've got another first time aussie here :)

Never owned a bike before or even ridden one, Had my motorbike learners for about 10 years before i even sat on a bike for the first time this year and got my licence. Bought a 2021 z400 from the local dealer. I've only put 600kms on it so far over the 2 weeks i've owned it.

I live on the north side of brisbane and work in the CBD, so driving a car is not an option (45-55 minute drive for 20kms? no thanks). I used to catch the train but its about 3kms of walking between stations and home/work, and another 25 minutes on the train! A motorbike seemed like the perfect solution, since my partner has a subaru impreza anyway which is well suited to being the family car :)(y)

I am loving my z400!
Save'in time, 'n have more pleasure; win win!

·
Registered
32 Posts
New road rider here, I road trail bikes as a kid. I put about 650 km on my sister's Vespa in the buildup to me actually figuring out what I wanted to buy, which ended up being a Z400.

It didn't take long to get comfortable on it.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 ABS
9 Posts
Second bike, but stopped riding in 2008 so a bit of a gap since... Rode a new YZF 600R as my first bike between 2002 and 2008. The Ninja 400 is working out great so far!

·
Registered
2020 Z400
9 Posts
2020 Z400 is my first bike. It's plenty fast, very light, and I'm still improving my skills so I have not pushed it to its limits. I was on the fence between the 400 and something bigger like SV650 or MT07. No regrets.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts